Music Player Network
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
MIDI 2.0: a tantalizing first look #3025560 01/24/20 05:52 PM
Dr Mike Metlay Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks to the timely intervention of my friend Dean Swan, who interacts a fair bit with members of the MIDI Manufacturers' Association, I got clued into the press demo of new MIDI 2.0 tech that was being given in a small demo room in the Yamaha space at the Marriott at NAMM. I will write more about it in the coming days, but wanted to describe the two or three very simple demos I got to see.

The first one was a Roland synthesizer which had been equipped with a TouchKeys overlay, controlling a prototype Korg hardware synth (a modded minilogue xd, I think) and a Yamaha FM software program, with side to side and forward/back key gestures. Everything was being connected and routed with external microcomputers (Raspberry pi etc), as nothing's been internalized yet.

The demonstrator was obviously not an MPE-savvy player, and the resulting "music" was kind of painful to listen to, but the demonstration worked. There was nothing shown that an MPE controller can't do just as well, but that wasn't the point. The point was: all of the data being sent was MIDI 2.0 data, absolutely bog-standard, now baked into the language! Every note now has properties that are applied when the note is struck, as well as per-note control of multiple parameters while it's held down. No more multichannel logic or obscure commands that not all gear can recognize.

MIDI 2.0 takes advantage of modern connection protocols. It's cable-agnostic (no more 5-pin plugs with UARTs that get fried if you zap your synth with static electricity), and works over any high-speed bidirectional cable, starting with USB 2 and working up to Ethernet and Thunderbolt 3. One of the things that's built into the spec now is something called a Profile. Each device can have a Profile on board, saved in the firmware, which can be communicated automatically to anything you plug it into. Profiles can be written by anyone and can serve pretty much any purpose you can think of within the realm of "hello, you other device, I am this device, and I can do the following and want you to work with me on this."

One example is a synth that comes with a patch editor built in. Plug it into your computer and boom, up comes a screen with the editing software ready to use, no need to install or authorize or update. On a simpler level, imagine never having to document all your hardware synth data separately as part of a DAW session any more: a synth's full state is saved with your project and instantly recalled when you fire it up, without having to send a bunch of carefully prepped SysEx to each box.

Last but not least, here's a movie you might find interesting. This shows a fader (on the right) being moved with traditional 7-bit MIDI Control Change messages, vs. a fader (on the left) being moved with the new UMP protocol in MIDI 2.0. No more zippering or ratcheting; all data now have a stupidly-overspec'd 32-bit resolution. Pretty trippy!

Last edited by Dr Mike Metlay; 01/24/20 10:54 PM.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, whoop de doo)
Wordsmith - Musician - Tech Freak - Amiable Zany
Everyone on this forum is a friend I haven't met yet
-- except for Bryce, who's, well, YOU know.
Re: MIDI 2.0: a tantalizing first look [Re: Dr Mike Metlay] #3025576 01/24/20 07:34 PM
samuelblupowitz Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
Originally Posted by Dr Mike Metlay
One example is a synth that comes with a patch editor built in. Plug it into your computer and boom, up comes a screen with the editing software ready to use, no need to install or authorize or update. On a simpler level, imagine never having to document all your hardware synth data separately as part of a DAW session any more: a synth's full state is saved with your project and instantly recalled when you fire it up, without having to send a bunch of carefully prepped SysEx to each box.
ohmy

Samuel B. Lupowitz
Composer. Arranger. Musician. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.
Re: MIDI 2.0: a tantalizing first look [Re: Dr Mike Metlay] #3025711 01/25/20 04:37 PM
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club
I caught most of the MIDI 2.0 introductory session at NAMM on Friday the 17th (that needed a much bigger room!) and was very impressed by what MIDI 2.0 will be. Like the various presenters said, it's exciting times. Just like we didn't know what MIDI was going to be able to do, MIDI 2.0 may take us some amazing places and result in some gear no one has even conceived of yet. 2thu

The great thing about music is that there's always something to learn. The frustrating thing about music is that there's always something to learn!
Re: MIDI 2.0: a tantalizing first look [Re: Joe Muscara] #3026040 01/27/20 06:57 AM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Joe Muscara
I caught most of the MIDI 2.0 introductory session at NAMM on Friday the 17th (that needed a much bigger room!) and was very impressed by what MIDI 2.0 will be. Like the various presenters said, it's exciting times. Just like we didn't know what MIDI was going to be able to do, MIDI 2.0 may take us some amazing places and result in some gear no one has even conceived of yet. 2thu

That's the hope. If we remember that the first MIDI demos only had one synth playing another, there's lots of room for 2.0 to take us way beyond what we're looking at now. Watch this space...

Re: MIDI 2.0: a tantalizing first look [Re: Dr Mike Metlay] #3026727 01/30/20 12:22 PM
Markyboard Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
This is very exciting. I'm hoping the potential for auto CC assignments or whatever new message protocol may result between one manufacture's device and another is well implemented. VIP software was used by several manufacturers including Akai and Novation but seemed to fall well short of the advertised capability. I always ended up manually configuring everything.

I'm also looking forward to 30 years from now when 7 bit "zippering and ratcheting" is all the rage and featured on every new release. Hang on to those soon to be vintage midi 1.0 synths. grin

Re: MIDI 2.0: a tantalizing first look [Re: Markyboard] #3026813 01/30/20 09:43 PM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Markyboard
This is very exciting. I'm hoping the potential for auto CC assignments or whatever new message protocol may result between one manufacture's device and another is well implemented. VIP software was used by several manufacturers including Akai and Novation but seemed to fall well short of the advertised capability. I always ended up manually configuring everything.

I'm also looking forward to 30 years from now when 7 bit "zippering and ratcheting" is all the rage and featured on every new release. Hang on to those soon to be vintage midi 1.0 synths. grin

Yeah, I can't wait, cough hack.

Autoconfiguration shells were always tricky. Everyone tried them but they rarely worked. Novation dumped their protocol some years back; no clue if the InMusic brands (Akai, Alesis, M-Audio) are still pushing VIP...

Moderated by  Dr Mike Metlay