Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurzweil Forte SE-88

Anyone out there own one? I am interested in this keyboard and would like to get some input on your likes (or dislikes) of this board.

It has all the sounds I seem to need for the music my band plays, and I have been searching for a keyboard that I can use without having to bring a second board for the Organ songs.

Mostly use A.piano and some E.piano (Wurly), strings and Hammond organ sounds, and this keyboard looks like it might fit the bill.

I also like the "Favorites" button option it has. Thanks!!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I own a Forte 7 and love it. It will do all you are looking for (and more if needed). For less money you might consider the new Kurzweil PC4 ? Or pick up a used Forte 7 ?

But yeah, I am not a fan of TP100 keybed.

Kurzweil Forte 7, Mojo 61, Yamaha P-125,

Kronos X61, Nautilus 73

The PC-4 is more expensive than the Kurz Forte SE, and the Forte 7 is way more $$!

What is the issues with the Fatar TP100 keybed that no one seems to like? I have yet to hear of anyone have a good word about this keybed, and that does throw up some red flags about considering this board. The problem with buying DP's is there is mostly nowhere to try them out before you buy one. It gets a little pricey trying something out and then selling it because of one issue or another you don't find out until you physically play the instrument!

What DPs can you try locally? The TP100 is used in Nord Electro HP and Stage HP models, Studiologic SL73/88 and a number of other boards.

Would a secondhand PC3X/PC3K8/PC3A8/PC3LE8 be of interest? Older piano samples, but better action vs Forte SE. Check the weight is acceptable, too...

Cheers, Mike.

Thank you for your help. I do have a Guitar Center here, and I do have access to a Nord Electro 5HP I can give a spin. Didn't know the 5HP had the TP100 keybed.

I've read that Nord tweaks their action before they install it into their boards, but it should be pretty close anyway!

Again - many Thanks, this was very helpful.

I had a Studiologic SL-88. It had the TP100 action. I sold it within a month of owning. You cannot play fast passages on that keyboard IMHO. I couldn't even play something like "Hold the LIne" by Toto because the keys would not spring back quick enough to restrike doing the 8th note chord progressions.

Kurzweil Forte 7, Mojo 61, Yamaha P-125,

Kronos X61, Nautilus 73

I just tried the Fatar TP-100 action on a Nord Electro-5HP, and though it is not anything like my Yamaha CP-4 keybed (which I consider the best, or just about as good as it gets), the TP-100 action was not bad.

I am probably not as fussy as some on the forum, but for me the TP-100 action was definately acceptable!

Thanks again to all that posted and helped me out with my questions!

I bought a Forte SE when it first came out and have been using it ever since. I really like it. It is light weight with small dimensions for 88 keys. However, I would definitely go with the Kurzweil PC4 if I were in the market now. The PC4 basically the Forte SE repackaged with more features (higher polyphony, FM engine, more sample memory) and is meant to replace SE in the Kurzweil product line. Other than an internal power supply I don't think there are any advantages to getting an SE over a PC4.

The PC-4 is meant to replace SE in the Kurzweil product line. Other than an internal power supply I don't think there are any advantages to getting an SE over a PC4.

The one thing I like about the Forte SE-88 is the favorite buttons it has right at your fingertips. If the PC-4 had that feature it would definitely be more attractive because of the weight and larger screen feature it has, and everyone seems to prefer the Medelli keybed over the TP-100 bed.

The favorites buttons are great if you regularly use only a small number of patches, however, the SE does not have a numeric entry option. The PC4 allows you to input a specific sound number and access more sounds quickly. I use my Forte SE mainly as a stage piano so it's not a big deal, but if I needed a different sound per song and had to switch sounds quickly it wouldn't work for me.

The PC4 has a Quick Access mode, same as on my PC3. QA has banks of ten slots each that you can populate with your favorite Multis or single sounds. I use it to store the 45 or so songs we will play at a gig, for every gig. I title each bank with a date and description, such as "04Jan20 Festival A." Next bank would be "04Jan20 Festival B" and so on. It's very useful and only takes about ten minutes to program the five banks for each job. I believe the PC4 is the successor to the PC3. I'd love to get the new board but the old one is built like a tank and just won't die!

Kurzweil PC4