Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Backing Tracks Question

I've been thinking about adding a handful of backing tracks to my Music With Marky YouTube channel and I would love to get some opinions as to what ya'll generally like to see/hear for such things. Any ideas for what makes the kind of backing tracks that are useful for you? Maybe it's all already been done well enough and there's no need? Maybe there's something that needs to be out there but hasn't been done before (without getting so obscure only 4 people will ever listen to it)?
Music With Marky - A YouTube Channel For Guitarists Who Want To Make Better Music

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a program called Mixcraft (Windows only, though) that offers a zillion loops in different genres. They're stored online, so you just download them when you need them, and you can put together a variety of music in minutes. That way you'll have tracks that don't sound like anyone else's.

There's a program called Mixcraft (Windows only, though) that offers a zillion loops in different genres. They're stored online, so you just download them when you need them, and you can put together a variety of music in minutes. That way you'll have tracks that don't sound like anyone else's.

Very cool, I will check that out. Thanks.

Music With Marky - A YouTube Channel For Guitarists Who Want To Make Better Music

Backing tracks are a great way to get some real band practice time in. Right now, I'm learning to write my own songs/backing tracks using Band in a Box software. I can load the recordings of 99 complete songs into my looper and sing and play along...I find the jazz swing tracks most interesting. Cool bass and drums. I could leave out the other parts and just use the bass and drums...lots to learn before I become a little bit good at it. YT has a ton of backing tracks that don't sound too bad when you run them through a PA and/or Amp. They work great and you can call up any genre and play with them on the fly...Good luck with the idea Mark and I know you'll add some cool stuff for people to practice with and perhaps write some lyrics too... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I play exclusively with backing tracks, I create them myself, sometimes from MIDI files I download. or I sometimes using Band In A Box Or the old Jammer Pro. I render those MIDI files to audio in my recording app using software synths and good quality samples,

Backing tracks are a great way to get some real band practice time in. Right now, I'm learning to write my own songs/backing tracks using Band in a Box software. I can load the recordings of 99 complete songs into my looper and sing and play along...I find the jazz swing tracks most interesting. Cool bass and drums. I could leave out the other parts and just use the bass and drums...lots to learn before I become a little bit good at it. YT has a ton of backing tracks that don't sound too bad when you run them through a PA and/or Amp. They work great and you can call up any genre and play with them on the fly...Good luck with the idea Mark and I know you'll add some cool stuff for people to practice with and perhaps write some lyrics too... :cool:

Thanks Larry. It's one of those things that I was wondering if it's just been too done already or if there might be something useful to put out there. I never frequently used them myself, since I'm doing so much writing that I always play on my own stuff. I know people like to work on their lead skills against a background though.

I`ll just throw in my 2 yen worth-there are surely a ton of backing track sites out there. jamtrackcentral has a big variety of genres and

quality is good. I use backing tracks for singing performances. But ya, not only has it been there and done that but,

I`m not sure how much you can use jam tracks for your own music before copyright issues are a problem, if you`re posting on youtube.

That mixcraft site sounds really good-I`m guessing it`s not free but still cheaper than a studio.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

@ Mark, even though there is a ton of stuff out there, I'll bet there is always room for one more. Your YT vids have some excellent video and audio and you can also provide Tab and Sheet Music. You have the equipment basics, quality and ability. I think if you combine specific lessons (could be a favorite song that you have down pat or a collage of licks) with the backing tracks, you might get some new followers. Good luck and have fun with it! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

@ Mark, even though there is a ton of stuff out there, I'll bet there is always room for one more. Your YT vids have some excellent video and audio and you can also provide Tab and Sheet Music. You have the equipment basics, quality and ability. I think if you combine specific lessons (could be a favorite song that you have down pat or a collage of licks) with the backing tracks, you might get some new followers. Good luck and have fun with it! :cool:

Makes sense. Kind of like I did with providing backing track fro the modes series. Thanks!