Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Casio PX-S3000 MIDI Question

I'm currently giving the PX-S3000 a test drive. Love the feel and design of this board, but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of documentation out there regarding the midi implementation on it. For anyone that has this board, have you figured out how to select the User Registrations via MIDI? If so how, or could you direct me toward any documentation that explains this?

Thanks,

Derek

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Derek,

This is actually a bit of a complicated topic for the PX-S3000.

While it can receive Bank and Program change, it doesn't do it in the traditional sense.

The architecture of the MIDI is unique.

When you send a PC to it, it will change the sound to what you selected internally, and layer it with what you show on the screen.

For example: You have the basic Grand Piano 001 in the display. You then send the S3000 MSB 32 LSB 0 and PC 20. This is the JS Organ. Now when you play your board, both the Piano and JS organ will sound.

Here's how you can work around this:

Set you PX3000 to MIDI>Local>Off

Then when in the above scenario you would only hear the JS Organ

I would seriously suggest getting a MIDI Monitor Program, such as the Snoize MIDI monitor.

Then go thru all registrations to see what the BANK and PC numbers are. For example, The grand piano I think is MSB3, LSB 0, PC 1

ONCE CAVEAT: when you do this, the registration on the screen does not change. It will always show what you selected from the board itself.

I use GigPerformer in my stage rig, so this doesn't matter to me. If you want true control of this kind of thing I would highly recommend the PX-5S. It is designed to do what you waqnt, and has zones, DIN and USB MIDI, etc....

The PX-S3000 is an excellent board. I use it. You just need to know it's designed to pretty much be a stand alone board, controlled from it's own panel (which is it does very well)

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Hi Derek,

This is actually a bit of a complicated topic for the PX-S3000.

While it can receive Bank and Program change, it doesn't do it in the traditional sense.

The architecture of the MIDI is unique.

When you send a PC to it, it will change the sound to what you selected internally, and layer it with what you show on the screen.

For example: You have the basic Grand Piano 001 in the display. You then send the S3000 MSB 32 LSB 0 and PC 20. This is the JS Organ. Now when you play your board, both the Piano and JS organ will sound.

Here's how you can work around this:

Set you PX3000 to MIDI>Local>Off

Then when in the above scenario you would only hear the JS Organ

I would seriously suggest getting a MIDI Monitor Program, such as the Snoize MIDI monitor.

Then go thru all registrations to see what the BANK and PC numbers are. For example, The grand piano I think is MSB3, LSB 0, PC 1

ONCE CAVEAT: when you do this, the registration on the screen does not change. It will always show what you selected from the board itself.

I use GigPerformer in my stage rig, so this doesn't matter to me. If you want true control of this kind of thing I would highly recommend the PX-5S. It is designed to do what you waqnt, and has zones, DIN and USB MIDI, etc....

The PX-S3000 is an excellent board. I use it. You just need to know it's designed to pretty much be a stand alone board, controlled from it's own panel (which is it does very well)

David,

Thanks for the reply! Kind of disappointing, but I'll see if I can't make it work.

When I look at the "Music Data List" document, I see where you get the MSB 3 LSB 0 PC 1 for the Grand Piano, but the JS Organ it lists as MSB 32 LSB 17 and PC 1. Is the documentation incorrect compared to the actual implementation, hence the recommendation of the MIDI monitor?

544.jpg.0ead2fa2be1d7f5b7a610337c820c8f2.jpg

It is very possible I remembered wrong between the time I went to the music room, then came back here and type it :)

Go with the list.

As far as midi monitor (the one I listed is free) : It's an invaluable tool has you get more involved with MIDI and control.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu: