Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

favorite hand truck / cart for moving gear to gigs?

Looking to replace an old, worn folding hand truck. Was thinking that I'd like to have the option to have one that can function as a dolly as well as a hand truck. I'm not afraid to spend in order to buy quality......but of course I'd like to spend only as much as I need to. I'll be moving a max of about 60lbs. or so at a time, up to the size of a Motion Sound KP-500 amp, or equivalent.

Thanks,

Lou

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rock 'n' Roller. Best quality wheels; can even take big curbs with weight (though I try to avoid that for wear and tear and lift a bit as I roll over steps and curbs).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

The Rock n Roller. Spend the extra $ for the one with big tires front and back if you ever have to move stuff over grass, gravel, things other than pavement. I did have a welder modify mine to extend its opening by about 18", so I can lay down a full 88 key road case on it.

I even used it when my shop 18,000 btu air conditioner died, and ordered a new one online. FedEx left it on front of house, 150 feet from where I wanted it. My wife and I wrestled it onto the cart, and were able to get it all the way to the shop, even over dirt and grass (mine does have the small wheels on front), then wrestled it into the shop - the installer was not going to change them out for a couple of days, and rain was expected in the meantime (not to mention the possibility of it disappearing).

Worked great for a two keyboard rig, the 2 tier Z stand, accessories, portable bench, and a pair of QSC K10's. Admittedly was a lot easier when I had the van before trading it for a Chev. Volt. At the time, we also had a GMC truck, but no longer.

I do have to use a small compressor to add air to the tubes in the tires (28 to 30 pounds max)

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Magliner. Heavy duty convertible hand truck that easily folds into a dolly, excellent quality. Look around and you see them used all over in delivery trucks and warehouses.

This is the short version of the one I bought. Optional stairclimber accessory for pulling over curbs or up stairs.

gm-81uac_down.jpg

I use the Rock n Roller R10, and got Santa to buy me the larger upgraded "tire" wheels to replace the front two. It's awesome.

Of course, it's even awesomer when you also have a roadie to roll it to the stage, but that can be a really expensive upgrade.

In my early roadie day and bass player I had an large Ampeg bass amp that came with dolly that had a large thumb screw to attach to bottom of the amp for transport. As I started doing more roadie work I took that bass amp dolly removed the thumb screw so it was a flat surface and could move about anything with it. One time I thought it would be strong enough but moved a full size upright piano on its side with my little dolly. I still have that dolly almost forty years later and still moving stuff with it but wheel are starting to wear down.

Then last tour I worked was with Yes/Ace tour and we had four semi's full of gear to load and unload everyday. They had 30+ large dollys they made for the tour. They were about a 36"x24" piece of marine grade plywood with heavy duty 4 or 5" wheels. With those anything that didn't have wheel were dropped ont to those and move be it PA boxes, lighting, you name it. We lost a lot of them on the tour with local stage hands or other groups stealing them, but they were a life saver. Looking at that rock n roller they weren't as tall so didn't take a lot of space so making something like that or my smaller dolly is really useful and easy to fit in a car/truck. With mine I have a heavy shipping strap to attach it if necessary and a movers quilt to cover or put on top of dolly to cushion what I load on it.

Another option when I worked at a rehearsal studio we had a few of those inexpensive push carts that Harbor Freight sells. Nice because they have a collapsible handle to help push the cart/dolly and then it can fold down to put in a car. People would steal those from the studio all the time even with our name stenciled on them. Only bit of advice on those is the bolts that hold the wheels can come loose and fall out so best when assembling they use a little Loctite on the bolts and problem solved.

So some easy DIY solutions.

Another "why didn't I get this years ago" Rock 'n roller customer here. I got the R14 when it was on sale, just an excellent piece of gear. As someone else said, if I can park close and it's an easy path to the stage, I may not bother...but for longer trips or ones that you don't want to make twice (through customers usually) then I use it.

I got the smaller wheels on mine (ie, the non-off-road type) simply because gigs where I go through grass are almost non-existent. The one or two times I did, it was at a resort, so if you do those kind I'd definitely get the large wheels. It's a trade-off, I don't have to worry about a flat but I can't go through sand or grass well.

Edit: bungees :) Yep, I keep like 3 or 4 on one of the folding arms of the thing, especially since my gear isn't as stackable as it could be (cylindrical keyboard stand in a bag is the main culprit). When I get lazy and don't bungee I usually regret it.

I'm going to be changing to the Rock-N-Roller soon. The larger front wheels will make it easier to move over some of the terrain that I need to negotiate.

Currently I'm using a hand truck that will convert to a cart. I have a chest that I use for a cord/accessory case, A QSC K10, Yamaha MM8, Hammond SK-2, Case with my 2 tier Z stand, case with my amp pole stand, monitor stand, mike stand, and bench base, Case with my board/tablet, Laptop stand for my board/Vent, and the Gibralter seat. I can get it all in one trip. The only reason for considering changing is the front wheels. Playing in Florida, we have to sometimes load in through sand, and the front wheels dig in

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

I bought this a few years ago and love it. I have to have Pneumatic 9 inch rubber tires.

Didn"t care this was Aluminum, but turned out to be a fantastic, pick up with 2 fingers hand truck.

Fits any where too.

Tyke Aluminum Folding Hand Truck

Amazon 160

B00-F12-E9-3-E8-A-4-D26-BD32-60219443-B9-D8.png

C76792-E5-CEE5-4-F7-C-A328-B36-BB7-B03-D6-F.png

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Cosco has an aluminum cart that I use $99 or less when on sale. The nice thing is the lip folds down and I can get my 88 case on it with weight.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Rock 'n Roller R12RT -- Photo of first time i used it in 2014. Can't imagine how i managed without before that (actually i do remember -- 4 trips to the car. Ugh!).

- Jimbo

That's the Rock 'n Roller cart that I'm considering. Although it might be a little short to accommodate my MM8 with both end bard up.

But it would be better than what I have. The cart I'm using now will just fit the SK-2 inside it, so the MM8 sticks way past the end.

Willie Dixon

I actually kind of regret getting soft cases though, since if I use the cart everything needs to stack--I still do it, but feel a bit iffy about it (especially the modx with the touchscreen).

I use soft cases as well. But I put the chest, amp, and Z-stand case on the bottom, then carefully stack the MM8 with the SK2 on top. That way the only thing on top of them is my case for the other stands, and it's not that heavy.

Willie Dixon

Gruv Gear sells a pretty cool, *very* robust cart, rebranded as the "V-Cart Solo":

It's manufactured by Krane as the "AMG 500" cart, and is also sold by other online music vendors (SW, MF, etc.): http://www.kranecarts.com/amg500/

I wish I had one of these back in my younger "Rhodes Suitcase" days, but nowadays I never carry as much gear as this cart would support.

Legend '70s Compact, Jupiter-Xm, Studiologic Numa X 73

Gruv Gear sells a pretty cool, *very* robust cart, rebranded as the "V-Cart Solo":

It's manufactured by Krane as the "AMG 500" cart, and is also sold by other online music vendors (SW, MF, etc.): http://www.kranecarts.com/amg500/

Since 2014 I've been using this beast with the central extender (which it doesn't seem they sell anymore). I am 8.5/10 satisfied with it. Have had to replace the wheels as they got bent over time, but my cart literally has lots of miles on it. I'd say maybe 700 load ins over that time and some over vast hotel loading dock back entrances. The plastic bits are tough but can shatter if struck just wrong - I've had to replace a few. But overall I love this cart as it folds up pretty compactly and allows for more manuverability than a Rock n Roller.

I have the huge Rock N Roller too for 3 keyboard load ins and it's great if you have an unencumbered path and don't mind the added weight.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I'm not sure the brand of it, but the guitar player in my funky blues band has a cart/hand truck that is also a lift. Never have to lift heavy PA speakers, bass amps, racks again. There is a foot pump that raises the load, then just slide it into position. Considering that the PA has very large JBL powered full range cabinets that sit on top of the JBL powered bass bins, and the bass player uses a 2-15 Ampeg cabinet, it's a major back saver.

Willie Dixon

Another vote for the Rock N Roller. We had one at the magazine"s office for many years, and it got used to move everything from digital consoles to gigantic subwoofers with nary a complaint. I"m not in a position where I need one right now, but if I ever do, that"s the brand I"m going for.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

I joined the fold: R6RT

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL96/792815/4063775/414374158.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL96/792815/4063775/414374159.jpg

NE4D, 2 QSC K12.2's, Cable Phyle bag, stand, seat, room for more.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

You're all in luck, as Guitar Center's website started a 30% off sale today, that ends on 5 FEB, and which includes at least three Rock n' Roller carts and one similar On-Stage cart.

I'm only on the third set of a hundred items in the accessories category, out of over 2000 listed, so I'm not going to bother with links as there may be way more that I haven't seen yet.

As I am not filtering (sometimes one learns of useful tools one didn't know about!), someone who applies some filters might more quickly find the full set of what's on 30% markdown.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

It looked like everything from Rock 'n' Roller is at 30% discount at GC until 5 FEB, and several competing brands/models as well, but a couple of those got bad reviews so may be poor knock-offs as opposed to lower-priced OEM's (I'm never certain which is going on with certain items that appear to have been sourced from the same factory and simply branded differently).