Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Frustrated

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My kids (like everyone else's, I'm sure) want to spend waaaaay too much time online. It's a continual battle to keep them tied to the real world. I spend some time online--obviously, since I'm typing this note--but do not hear the siren call to the extent that others do.

The closest I came was when I was the moderator at diyAudio. That was pretty much a 24-hour-a-day thing and like to drove me mad. I had a death in the family and realized that I could not maintain my sanity while attempting to balance the online bullshit (I had several trolls that were particularly problematic) and my real life. I quit. Granted, that wasn't the same sort of addiction that you're talking about; it was an (unpaid) job. Nevertheless it took over my life for a while.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

Negative goals ("I will not do X, Y, or Z") have never worked for me. If you want something enough, you'll make it happen and the obstacles will fall like autumn leaves, like bowling pins, like frat boys after a kegger.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

This is actually an age-old issue, but now with modern connectivity.

I think the term is FOMO --Fear Of Missing Out

I used to not be able to sleep, as I always thought I'd miss something.....a party, calls for gigs, news, etc.. long before smart devices.

Fast forward to "modern" time: I actually had to ween myself off my iPhone at bedtime. I'd be dead tired, hit the bed, but then open up my iPhone and watch Youtube, read new, etc... Of course, that singalled my brain to stay awake.......

Same thing with during the day after work: Have dinner, then plan on working on music stuff....and BOOM...it's 2 hours later and I've been reading my iPhone or iPad for music news, and other music related videos.

I now leave my phone in livingroom at bed time, and also leave in the living room on "do not disturb" during practice time.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

I'd be dead tired, hit the bed, but then open up my iPhone and watch Youtube, read new, etc... Of course, that singalled my brain to stay awake.......

My problem is: I sit on the nice comfy couch at 9PM with the laptop to watch "just a couple" videos. Then I doze off and wake up again at 10:30 or so.... Sometimes its interesting to check the Youtube history to see what I missed!

Everyone who comes to music as an adult has to wrestle with one thing - a misplaced expectation of excellence. We have spent a lifetime listening to professional musicians, watching YouTubes, etc. Our brain has unquestioningly taken it all in and declared that "this is what is means to play music". The problem is that you CANNOT meet that expectation. No one can play as well as all the inputs you have had. And more specifically, none of us can play at any level quickly or soon.

Playing keyboard instruments is a complex task. It involves significant neuromuscular training. The odds that any of us are going to get great dabbling at it without a teacher are negligible. That's not how anyone learns. Think about learning golf. You have to take lessons and play 3x a week or more to really improve.

If you want to improve you should:

1) cut yourself some slack. it is OK to suck. It is OK to suck for a long time. That's how it works. Its normal.

2) Get a teacher and do what they say. It will work. It will take longer than you want. But you WILL see progress.

3) Practice 5-6 hours a week the way the teacher says to. If you practice less than 3 hours, you may not see any progress at all. Music is a threshold activity. You have to get above the threshold for progress and stay there long enough for it to work. It is better to work some every day than to binge and practice 4 hours on one day and then skip 3 days.

Expectation management is the hardest thing adults coming to music have to deal with. Many kids learned gradually enough that they never knew they were terrible. But they were. As adults we are going to know we are terrible. Embrace it. Getting good is on the other side of sucking. I made no progress until I made peace with that, decided I would suck until I improved, and then sought instruction to suck for as little time as possible. There is a way to learn keyboards.