Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Winter NAMM 2020 - The Anderton Report

Dave Bryce

Frankly, I'm not too sure what this is. But I sensed a "Blipbox photo op." I think it's one of those things that's designed to make music more accessible to normal humanoid bipeds. I also got a photo of one of the residents of Blipbox land.

526.thumb.jpg.e7a76aabac82242356876fc5340dc722.jpg

527.thumb.jpg.2512c909b4394b9250e56344a312e84a.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been using the POK wireless footswitch for DAW and computer control, but Nektar's Pacer is a stage-friendly altermative. Nektar makes cool stuff in general, so I suspect this is no different in use.

528.thumb.jpg.14ede01751e1b29b0875377bc7596647.jpg

In the "So Obvious No One Had Thought of It" category, PreSonus essentially combined their single-channel FaderPort with an audio interface, and dubbed it the ioSTATION 24C. Podcasting, anyone? Mobile? Home studio newbies? And did anyone notice that the Upbeat Daily publication that appears at NAMM shows had more ads that related to podcasting than guitar amps? Well, I didn't, until it was pointed out to me. Hmmm....

530.thumb.jpg.e47e5d7140a6165209f176b7794a0443.jpg

531.thumb.jpg.34eb4693e56ea0aee87de8b80bf5c771.jpg

Okay, so here's what I like about the Power Synth Kontakt Instrument from Q Up Arts: It doesn't have a zillion presets, IIRC it has about 45 or so. But every one of I heard sounded big, useable, and...well, powerful.

533.jpg.16b0ea082e048c8831b99c883d6c09e4.jpg

Any pedalboard fans in the crowd? This pedal holder from Mono is 100% carbon fiber - so it's strong and light. As expected, you use Velcro (I assume it's trademarked, please Velcro lawyers, don't sue me) to hold the pedal to the carbon fiber plate. BTW Mono is owned by the same people who own BandLab and Cakewalk, and make some beautiful L5-style Heritage guitars. But I won't show you any pictures of them, because I get sad every time I look at them, and realize they're effing expensive...albeit justifiably so.

534.jpg.d78c8468b1360af57cd25d383451a5b2.jpg

Oh, and I got to moderate a panel for the A3E session on MIDI 2.0! True story: I got the gig because I was asked to be on the panel, and said I don't really know about the bits and bytes of MIDI, but since I know what questions to ask, I could moderate it. They said "ok." It was a cool collection of people, including representatives from Microsoft, Google, Yamaha, Cycling 74, and other luminaries. The room was PACKED - people really want to know what's going on with MIDI 2.0.

537.thumb.jpg.b1dab24c6a3d504c88d6bf6da14ca0d1.jpg

And of course, NAMM is a chance to meet up with friends. Holly Barker stopped by to say "hi" during the TEC Tracks workshop I did with Public Enemy's Brian Hardgroove on collaboration in the internet age.

538.thumb.jpg.da0b7d70053bd9a77d8b8466cd482fa4.jpg

And finally...here I am with Brian. He was sooooo happy we made it through the presentation without any significant technical problems, and even finished on time. It was cool - we had an unreleased Chuck D track that we remixed and added parts to over the internet. If you're a PC/Chuck D fan, sorry...you missed out on Chuck D at one of his finest moments, and Brian's rap was very cool too.

539.jpg.9f798b07bb5fd69f44582edb69d354c6.jpg

540.jpg.c5c8c3bc9ce1f75c58586e943313d008.jpg

And of course, there were 45,547,894 other things worth covering at NAMM...but there's only one of me. Thankfully, there are plenty of other people contributing to the MusicPlayer.com NAMM experience...check it out. Feel free to ask any questions about these posts, forgive me in advance for typos (hey, I'm effing exhausted!), and...see you at GearFest, Between the Waves, and Summer NAMM! I'll be making personal appearances at all three, if you're in the area.

And finally...here I am with Brian. He was sooooo happy we made it through the presentation without any significant technical problems, and even finished on time. It was cool - we had an unreleased Chuck D track that we remixed and added parts to over the internet. If you're a PC/Chuck D fan, sorry...you missed out on Chuck D at one of his finest moments, and Brian's rap was very cool too.

Joe and I were there in the front row. :2thu:

:nopity:

Killer report! Thank you, Craig!

So, what was your favorite product from a technological innovation POV?

If one thing from the show could magically appear in your studio/live rig, what would it be? Besides Syvia Massy, I mean...she's pretty cool. :cool:

I hear she shoots pianos. :bang:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Killer report! Thank you, Craig!

So, what was your favorite product from a technological innovation POV?

I'd have to say MIDI 2.0, even though it's not a product yet (aside from a Roland keyboard). I think it will lead to all sorts of interesting paths, like virtual controllers that are extremely natural to play. I think it will also have a profound effect on dance companies (I was staff synthesis for a while with Berlin's Group Motion, which taught me a lot about what would work with dancers).

If one thing from the show could magically appear in your studio/live rig, what would it be? Besides Syvia Massy, I mean...she's pretty cool.

I'd rather have her appear in the studio rig, so she could engineer my next album :) But really, I think I already have the things I must have. At this point, I'd be more interested in testing out the programs from the 4 million tiny software developers, to find out which is the killer app I've been waiting for all my life.

Oh, and a gorgeous L5-type guitar, for sure. I was always a big Wes Montgomery fan!

And did anyone notice that the Upbeat Daily publication that appears at NAMM shows had more ads that related to podcasting than guitar amps? Well, I didn't, until it was pointed out to me. Hmmm....

Podcasting is the next VR or 5G except that it's here and is a really big market. Notice all the new mics that look like the RE20 or SM7 that are priced for podcasters? About half of them are side-address, so be on the lookout for phunny photos.

Podcasting is the next VR or 5G except that it's here and is a really big market. Notice all the new mics that look like the RE20 or SM7 that are priced for podcasters?

Reeeeally big - and growing all the time. Cloud Mics goes to Podcast Movement instead of Summer NAMM now - Cloudlifters are pretty poplular with those folks

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

[

Like raccoons, I too like Shiny Things. So when I saw the blingacious keyboard key overlays from Kansas-based company ukeys.com, I was attracted like NAMMsters to anything that says "open bar." Although ukeys didn't have an open bar, the concept was pretty cool. I expect these to show up in music videos soon.

I"m painting my Physis K4 with Metallic Sparkle.

I needed 5 years to memorize the detailed print and functions.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Joe and I were there in the front row. :2thu:

Yep, in fact, I was at both of your sessions, Craig, and enjoyed them immensely (except for the fact that someone should have booked a bigger room for MIDI 2.0). I should look into more sessions next time I go, I bet there's tons more I can learn.

The Chuck D track was killer. I feel the same way about his voice you do, Craig. And, that track swung. I mean that literally. It felt great. If it ever gets released, please let me/us know.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Yep, in fact, I was at both of your sessions, Craig, and enjoyed them immensely (except for the fact that someone should have booked a bigger room for MIDI 2.0).

Most of the A3E sessions ran into space problems, they have serious momentum. As to the one Brian and I did, attendance was lower than usual - not sure why, but the person running the TEC Tracks sessions said they should have promoted the people as much as the topic - it's not every day you get an unreleased Chuck D track :)

I should look into more sessions next time I go, I bet there's tons more I can learn.

Not sure where you live, but Sweetwater's GearFest in Fort Wayne, IN is loaded with useful instructional sessions. Mine (and often others) tend to overflow, so if you attend, try to get to the sessions a few minutes early. If you live near Madison WI, the Between the Waves conference is also heavy on sessions. These involve both techniques and the music business (promotion, gigging, etc.). Also, I think Music Expo (done in conjunction with Sound on Sound) will be announcing its 2020 schedule fairly soon. I was at the Nashville one last September, and it was well worth doing. To find out where I'll be doing workshops and seminars, check out the Personal Appearances page at [/b]craiganderton.org.

The Chuck D track was killer. I feel the same way about his voice you do, Craig.

Yeah, I thought it would be a crime to compress it! Those manual gain changes took forever, but I think they made a big difference...and then just a few dB of limiting to tame the peaks.

And, that track swung. I mean that literally. It felt great. If it ever gets released, please let me/us know.

Not sure what the track's fate will be, Brian might have some insights on that. I think part of the swing was using the drums as sidechain triggers on gates so parts could follow the drums.

Wow! Holly Barker. We had the same jazz/funk piano teacher back in Michigan and worked music retail together in Seattle for years. Nice to see she's still plugged into the MI scene.

�Ah, music," he said, wiping his eyes. "A magic beyond all we do here!�

J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Yep, in fact, I was at both of your sessions, Craig, and enjoyed them immensely (except for the fact that someone should have booked a bigger room for MIDI 2.0).

Most of the A3E sessions ran into space problems, they have serious momentum. As to the one Brian and I did, attendance was lower than usual - not sure why, but the person running the TEC Tracks sessions said they should have promoted the people as much as the topic - it's not every day you get an unreleased Chuck D track :)

Yeah, I was surprised by the space in that room. It deserved to be packed as you say.

I should look into more sessions next time I go, I bet there's tons more I can learn.

Not sure where you live, but Sweetwater's GearFest in Fort Wayne, IN is loaded with useful instructional sessions. Mine (and often others) tend to overflow, so if you attend, try to get to the sessions a few minutes early.

I'm considering GearFest, thanks for the tip about the sessions. I forgot about those there, so I'll definitely plan ahead!

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Awesome report Maestro! As usual!

Glad to hear Electronic Projects for Musicians continues to be a touchstone reference, even in the seemingly all digital era.

I doubt I will ever get to go to a NAMM or a Gearfest....But if I ever do,,,,You'll know me...The old man with a old, dog-eared copy of Electronic Projects for Musicians...and a pen at the ready begging for you to sign it...With a age appropriate demeanor of course. :)

I doubt I will ever get to go to a NAMM or a Gearfest...
I'm considering GearFest, thanks for the tip about the sessions. I forgot about those there, so I'll definitely plan ahead!
I can't recommend it highly enough. There are independents doing sessions, as well as talks from product clinicians. The biggest problem with the sessions is that often, ones you want to see will overlap because there's so much going on. There are also gear specials, like an SM58 for $58, and of course you can talk one-on-one with manufacturer representatives and get gear demos.

The Sweetwater people are unfailingly polite and helpful, for example it's summer so it can get hot - but Sweetwater has barrels of free, cold water instead of charging you $2 - $3 a pop. And Fort Wayne itself is inexpensive, you can get an AirB&B cheap so the trip really doesn't cost much (there's even a campground on the Sweetwater campus). If you can drive there so much the better, because airfares to smaller places tend to be more expensive.

I have a perfect attendance record for GearFest, I feel Sweetwater is doing a good thing for musicians and the industry so I support it in any way I can.