Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MODX8 in Jazz Setting?

I continue the quest for an all-in-one keyboard. I"m trying to use one keyboard for small jazz gigs, big band, and a 70s duo group, where I"m playing bass, guitar, organs, etc. I"ve noodled extensively at the local GC, trying to make the action feel as bad as others have reported, but I"m finding that it"s not to bad. I think I would spring for the FA-08 if it weren"t for its terrible Leslie sim.

Is anyone using the MODX8 for jazz piano? Any regrets?

CA93, MODX8, YC88, K8.2

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The MODX8 has lots to work with regarding piano sounds - just pull the reverb down - way way down. Plenty you won"t need for traditional jazz at least. The action feels like Yamaha"s many budget P series digital pianos. It speaks well enough with the onboard piano sounds - no dead spot at the fall board to speak of either.

However, the CP4, CP88, or P-515 deserve a close look before plunking down for the MODX8.

You can also try SV2, Grandstage, RD-88, PX-560, Kawai ES-110 and ES8 and MP7SE.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

If you are looking for organs I wouldn't be looking at Yamaha.

I am pretty curious what the Roland Rd-88 might have to offer. Roland is a bit more involved with organs.

Yamaha treats organ like Down Beat Magazine used to - some kind of musical sub category that doesn't seem to warrant serious attention.

My solution to " all in one" board was to add an HX3 module to a weighted board and forget that organ action is completely different than piano and just live with that.

All in one might be Nord but there is no way I am going to pay the difference.

I tried a Stage 3 for awhile but couldn"t live with the guitar and orchestral sounds. My SP6 is good enough for everything but APs. I"ve been trying all sorts of things to improve them. I"ve been spoiled by my CP4, I guess
CA93, MODX8, YC88, K8.2

Not a helpful comment but - you turned down the FA because of its leslie sim in favour of the Yamaha? Does not compute...

Have you considered Kurzweil PC4? Leslie sim not Vent-quality but ahead of both of these boards.

Cheers, Mike[/]

From what I"ve heard of the FA08 on you-tube, fast Leslie sounded almost like vibrato. Experience at the local GC with a MODX8 was better with organ sounds, and maybe I didn"t play it long enough to hate the keybed. I have read that the PHA-4 keybed in the Rolands is supposed to be better than the GHS in the MODX8.

CA93, MODX8, YC88, K8.2

Maybe look into an 88 key arranger keyboard if you don"t have drums in your Duo? I feel like an arranger is what you"d need. There aren"t many 88 key ones, but Korg is making the XE-20 which looks like it might have several rhythms. I"d also look into the Casio WK-7600 because it has an organ section and you can make your own rhythms.
Yamaha MX49, Casio SK1/WK-7600, Korg Minilogue, Alesis SR-16, Casio CT-X3000, FL Studio, many VSTs, percussion, woodwinds, strings, and sound effects.

Music bird, I used to use accompaniment on y FP4 and it worked well for what it was. I"m now playing more 'live,' and need to adapt to the guitarist. We did try some auto accompaniment and found it was too restrictive. We have no problem working without percussion, even prefer it.

Maybe look into an 88 key arranger keyboard if you don"t have drums in your Duo? I feel like an arranger is what you"d need. There aren"t many 88 key ones, but Korg is making the XE-20 which looks like it might have several rhythms. I"d also look into the Casio WK-7600 because it has an organ section and you can make your own rhythms.

CA93, MODX8, YC88, K8.2

I think I would spring for the FA-08 if it weren"t for its terrible Leslie sim.

But what sets the FA-08 apart is the aux outputs that you can use to run the organ sounds into a Vent or whatever Leslie sim of your choice. Makes a world of difference.

- Jimbo

I've gotten some pretty good hammond sounds on the Montage/Modx8 with some modified ksounds samples. As for Jazz on the modx8, I would think the action would not be suitable. I found it terrible for anything other than playing basic chords on the white keys. Actually bad for that too. ymmv.