Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

VIP Review review

So, what do you guys think of what Dr. Fortner is doing with this new interactive review format we've been trying out?

Yamaha CP Piano VIP Review

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/c3/c308d88f9e24a0e87e70925ad19c39c2cae411a95aa5312b9f0e3c671739ccfe.jpg

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent, this is a deep, time taken look at the newest CPs.

The forum"s format is quite good for sharing a picture and linking to media for audio and video reference.

Also a thread is great for continued review of things like firmware updates, or things you notice over time like hardware failure or something new you"ve learned.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

For all who are interested, I just posted another segment, this one on the CP's Sub section, which contains all its synth and other supporting sounds.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

A thorough soup-to-nuts review like that from a trusted source and the ability to ask questions is extremely valuable. I don"t where else you can find that except here.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I love this (especially since the CP88 has been giving me the kind of GAS I haven't had for a digital/stage piano for a long time -- life is tough, yeah?). Really appreciate having yet another great resource here!

Thanks for the bump, dB -- as much as I want to keep up with the other cool MPN forums, I find myself checking Keyboard Corner reflexively, then forgetting about the others.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Well written and fun to read! Love it when someone much more knowledgeable than me does an in depth review of gear I'm interested in!

Thanks for the bump, dB -- as much as I want to keep up with the other cool MPN forums, I find myself checking Keyboard Corner reflexively, then forgetting about the others.

Yes indeed, same here, still getting used to there being a second page to check out.

One way to address this would be to start a thread in the Keyboard Corner forum for each pro review. Every time you write another section you bump the thread and provide a direct link, alerting KC forumites that there's more to read, and effectively reminding folks of the existence of these other forums. Wouldn't hurt if there was also a teaser paragraph of the latest installment.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

It's always a privilege to learn from Dr. Fortner. In this particular format he has the freedom to put us in the drivers seat, zooming into particular topics with videos and drill-downs.

This is a fabulous resource for old hacks like me, and also newbies who might need a little confidence to "step up" to their gear. :thu::thu:

Very in depth review. Not just lots of words but meaningful discussion. Some short-attention-span netizens blow them off as TL;DR - I welcome the in depth reviews.

Run that baby: One thing that is nice about MPN is that the review is not limited to number of words like those in a magazine, and I enjoy the comic relief in the writing style. It shows that the reviewer is not just quoting the promo sheet.

Chapters: While a lengthy review is welcome, it is even better to see it divided into "chapters". Makes for easier reading.

Media: Good that YouTube demonstrations are included, a big plus.

Qualifications: Mr. Fortner as a piano player and synth enthusiast is well qualified to examine a digital piano with synth/FX controls. This is a valuable skill that is often overlooked; you don't assign a player to review a keyboard when keyboard is not his primary instrument! (replace "keyboard" with "synth", with "guitar", with "kazoo", etc) A reviewer without extensive playing experience on a real piano would not had addressed the quality of the DP piano action. When I open a magazine or website to a review, the first thing I look for is the reviewer's name which says a lot.

Pros and Cons: Pros are good, nice to see that he is not reluctant to discuss the cons. If I didn't see any at all, I start questioning things. Cons aren't always deal-killers. Most times, I may still purchase the unit with a work-around the cons.

All in all, Mr. Fortner set the bar to aim at for future reviews. Well done.

Some input not directed at Mr. Fortner:

Things I would like to see:

Intuitive UI: can the UI be operated without opening the user manual? We don't always have time to read a large user manual. Is the manual well written, and free of flimsy translation? Is a remote editor available that can improve the UI experience or access features hidden under the hood? I don't mind referring to the manual for features not often used, but if I have to read the manual just to change patches then it is not intuitive. If the operation is very awkward - poor navigation, poor organization of parameters, takes too long to perform a simple operation or design a patch - it is good to know this. Some of us are preset surfers who may never alter a patch, some of us are habitual tweakers.

Power: Some of us prefer to avoid wall warts, some of us outright refuse to use them for stage work. If it's an internal power supply, that is valuable information.

Quick Synopsis table: how about a generalized quick-n-dirty table at the head of the review.

Things I would be careful of:

Parameters: While I am an engineer by trade, when I read things like "this rompler has 32MB of memory for storage" that means nothing to me as a musician. 32MB of WHAT? It doesn't always translate to number of patches or length of sample libraries.

Editorial control: I know Mr. Fortner has editorial experience and I don't question him. When other reviewers are involved, will their work be reviewed? While humorous writing is good for comic relief, there needs to be some assurance that it is not offensive.

Some companies, who shall remain unnamed, have attempted to sue others who have criticized their products. While the case was dismissed, this is a dangerous precedent. Imagine writing a review for one of their products, then being reluctant to describe problems for fear of being hit with a lawsuit. This is not fair to the customers, or to MPN staff. In fact, if I saw a product review from such a litigious company I would not read it at all.

Though I don't currently own a CP73/88, I'm still digging this first VIP review. The interactive capabilities and lack of printed product restrictions is great! As soon as a VIP starts a review thread on the Fantom, I'll be jumping in on that. Still wrapping my brain around that bad boy, but now that I'm getting a clue about live use, I want to both interact on those functions and learn more about its sequencing and sampling capabilities. Reviews like Stephen Fortner's would be awesome; love the detail! Might Mr. Ed Diaz be 'in the wings' for such a project?

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!