Hello, everyone!

In the consolidation of the forums that has taken place after NAMM 2020, I have expanded and renamed the Computer Lab/Music Lab forum to include all kinds of music-making tech for small studios.

While Dr. Mike's Studio Workshop will still handle all kinds of computer-related stuff as described in the two posts below this one, I am adding many new areas of coverage.

These include but are not limited to:

- Non-Keyboard Music Creation Hardware (including stuff for beatmaking/producing, in the under-age-40 meaning of the word "producing")
- Microphones
- Signal Processors
- Mixers
- Hardware Recording Devices (including field recorders)
- Monitors
- Headphones
- Acoustic Treatment
- Studio Accessories (anything from mic stands to patch bays)

After all my years at RECORDING, there's no reason for me not to leverage everything I know in this forum and to encourage others to do so.

Other forums (like Ronan Chris Murphy's) are or will soon be available under the Recording Forums banner, and these will have a focus on areas outside my usual purview or offer insights beyond mine. Craig's forum will continue to offer great information and will crosspollinate with mine.

My intent is to provide practical boots-on-the-ground advice for anyone trying to make a small studio work for them and create the best possible music.

The rules are basically the same as what I gave for The Computer Lab. The only thing I will add is this:

People get into arguments and fights because there is always a clear dividing line between X and Y, but every human being sees that dividing line in a different place. Some of the critical lines we deal with here include when X is "affordable" and Y is "cheap", when X is "sufficient quality to get the job done if you're careful" and Y is "a waste of money, even if it's not that much money", and when X is "helping a newcomer learn technically useful information rather than coddling them" and Y is "bludgeoning a newcomer with how smart you are".

I want everyone to be welcome in this forum, and I mean everyone, no matter what kind of music they're doing and how much or little money they have. If you have decades of experience and a room full of gear, it's easy to forget that a lot of today's up-and-coming musicians are kids with very limited budgets, big dreams, and a real thirst to learn. I will come down hard on anyone who draws the line between "good advice from someone with more experience" and " perceived elitism and arrogance" in a different place than I do.

When you write something to answer someone who's just getting started, read what you wrote before posting it, and ask yourself this question: "When they read this, is this person going to learn something useful and want to learn more, or will they leave MPN and go back to watching shitty YouTube videos because they think we're a bunch of snobs?" Remember: "He'll probably never be back but at least I got to school him before he left" accomplishes nothing.

TL;DR version: Talk, listen, and to quote Doctor Who, "Always try to be nice but never fail to be kind."

Many thanks,

dr.mike

Last edited by Dr Mike Metlay; 02/14/20 06:13 PM.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) grin
Janitor and Hall Monitor, Dr. Mike's Studio Workshop

clicky!: more about me ~ my schwag ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job