Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Clonewheel pedal ergonomics

Looking for some thoughts and general brainstorming in how to optimize my pedal setup since moving to a dual-manual organ rig. I've attached a couple of photos for reference.

Since I stepped up to a dual-manual clone (Mojo XT), I've been using my Roland PK-5 MIDI pedals that had been mostly collecting dust, and having a grand old time stomping bass notes and triggering softsynths with my left foot. Lets me keep my hands on the drawbars more than I could otherwise.

The biggest thing I've had to reorient myself to with the bass pedals under the organ is my Leslie speed switching. In the past, I'd always kept the expression pedal under my right foot, and the speed switch to the left. I've since relocated my switch pedal in front of the expression pedal. This gets it out of the way of the bass pedals, and I can still hit the speed switch with my left foot for reflex and comfort's sake (though it's a little awkward); more importantly, when I'm playing piano with sustain pedal with my right hand and foot, I can move the expression pedal and change Leslie speed with my left foot only, and not have to stab blindly (or stare at my feet) to find one or the other pedal while trying to play two keyboards.

So that's great, but I haven't quite figured out how to maximize the throw of the swell pedal when the switch is in front of it (maybe I need to add a small block or something to raise the FC7 a few inches off the ground?). And when I'm just playing the organ, it can be a little awkward to switch speeds. I used to position the speed switch sideways, so the "stop" button was further out of the way (I play with the Leslie stopped occasionally, but infrequently, and hitting it at the wrong time is a real bummer).

I know Crumar makes a swell/speed change combo pedal; not sure if it would work with my Motion Sound amp, and I'm a little unclear on how the speed change is triggered with that pedal. I've thought about mounting the speed switch to the top of the PK-5 chassis, but then it seems a little out of the way when I'm playing split keyboards. Hmm...

Wondering what others playing dual-manual clones do, especially if you're rocking a multi-board rig.

491.thumb.jpg.efb15003fc59cbdc5700249c813161b7.jpg

492.thumb.jpg.1019a4a96bd12eb6f5f73b61a0edfe4d.jpg

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I play the Hammond XK3/XLK3 dual manual setup, with a 13-note bass pedal board (Korg), and absolutely LOVE the leslie speed switch on the Hammond EXP-100F expression pedal. I could never go back to a stomp switch, or even a toggle on the lower keyboard for changing leslie speeds.

I've thought about buying a 2nd setup (Mojo, Viscount, or Hammond SKX) in order to get a 2nd, portable (lighter weight), dual manual organ. If/when I ever get around to buying one, in addition to key bed feel, one key decision factor for me will be the quality/feel of the expression pedal, and whether it has a speed switch on it. The Hammond EXP-100F is a great feeling pedal.

Lou

I play the Hammond XK3/XLK3 dual manual setup, with a 13-note bass pedal board (Korg), and absolutely LOVE the leslie speed switch on the Hammond EXP-100F expression pedal. I could never go back to a stomp switch, or even a toggle on the lower keyboard for changing leslie speeds.
Great to know. I've heard good things about Crumar's long-throw pedal anyway; it would be handy to be able to switch speeds without lifting my foot. Do you just move your foot against the "tab" switch on the Hammond pedal?

Of course, I'd also have to make sure that the fast/slow/stop TRS application works on my Motion Sound. When I use the motion sound pedal directly into the Mojo, fast/slow and run/stop are reversed. I imagine I could jury rig a polarity swap with some cables, though.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

..........Do you just move your foot against the "tab" switch on the Hammond pedal?

I believe the function of the pedal side switch is actually configurable in the XK3. The mode I use is fast/slow, where one smack switches slow to fast, the next smack switches fast to slow, etc., etc.. I believe it can also be configured so that speed is configurable when you "hold" against the switch (hold for fast or hold for slow)........but I'm not 100% sure of that, since I never looked into using that mode.

Lou

I'd love to know how you kick switch guys make it work. I rigged up a switch to try it and my foot doesn't want to move - rubber sneaker on rubber pedal cover makes for stickiness. If I try to raise the front of my foot to pivot on the heel, I end up changing the volume.

What's the secret - leather sole shoes?

Moe

---

I'd love to know how you kick switch guys make it work. I rigged up a switch to try it and my foot doesn't want to move - rubber sneaker on rubber pedal cover makes for stickiness. If I try to raise the front of my foot to pivot on the heel, I end up changing the volume.

LOL........no real secret........I play barefoot in summer (in socks in the colder months). Seriously. I couldn't imagine playing bass pedals, or feeling the kick switch on the expression pedal, with shoes on!

Lou

LOL........no real secret........I play barefoot in summer (in socks in the colder months). Seriously. I couldn't imagine playing bass pedals, or feeling the kick switch on the expression pedal, with shoes on!

Lou

Yeah, any time that I have the bass pedals on a gig, I can't even wear chucks. I've taken to buying more fun socks for the stage. :)

Samuel B. Lupowitz