Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Night photo: ghost town truck-Ivanpah Express

49414415416_2844444dfb_b.jpg

Ivanpah Express

~~~~~

The front of a 1934 Chevrolet truck, owned by John Riley Bembry, who used this to drive to his claims in the Ivanpah Mountains. I photographed this amazing machine on a cool, cloudy desert night. I am grateful to Mojave Desert Heritage and Cultural Association for granting me special permission to photograph at night on their property.

~~~~~

This is one of the first photos I created with my new camera, a Pentax K-1, which was a joy to use. I've been using Nikons for many years, so finding the controls and everything else was a bit of an adjustment. I photographed up and down Route 66 at night, using Barstow as a home base. While taking this night photo, I illuminated the caboose with a handheld ProtoMachines LED2 light painting device during the exposure. This might appear in a night photography book that I am working on now.

~~~~~

Pentax K-1, 15-30mm f/2.8 lens. 2 minutes f/8 ISO 400. November 2019.

~~~~~

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a beauty Ken!

Glad you like the Pentax.

Keep an eye out for manual focus lenses, I've gotten some great bargains in Pentax lenses.

Some of the vintage ones are very underrated. I've got a 28 2.8 that is stupid sharp, part of a set I bought to flip. I think it ended up being free when I sold the camera and zoom for what I paid ($30).

I got a nice 50mm 1.4 in the deal too. I still have them, which speaks volumes of the quality since many lenses have come and gone here.

They adapt well to Canon APS-C. For Canon full frame you would have to cut the tab off the back of the mount.

But they will all mount right up on your K-1.

FWIW, I've been buying and selling photo gear for 30 years or so.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

That is a beauty Ken!

Keep an eye out for manual focus lenses, I've gotten some great bargains in Pentax lenses.

Some of the vintage ones are very underrated. I've got a 28 2.8 that is stupid sharp, part of a set I bought to flip. I think it ended up being free when I sold the camera and zoom for what I paid ($30).

I got a nice 50mm 1.4 in the deal too. I still have them, which speaks volumes of the quality since many lenses have come and gone here.

They adapt well to Canon APS-C. For Canon full frame you would have to cut the tab off the back of the mount.

Oh cool, that's good to know. I don't do that very much, although I am attempting to sell a Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8 which is in great condition.

All great info.

So far, I really love the camera. It's really off most people's radar, but if they knew how great it was and what a bargain it was, I suspect there would be more people using it.

Thanks for the kind words!

Came out real nice despite the cloudy skies!

My favorite part is the steering wheel shadow and how there's that little space between it and the open flap of the hood.

Thanks. I definitely worked really hard to get that shadow placed where I wanted it. Sometimes, it's not possible because of the angle. And with this one, I had to be VERY careful because there's some jagged broken glass from the driver's side window. The last thing I need is to gash myself on the wrist in the middle of the desert.....

That is a beauty Ken!

Oh cool, that's good to know. I don't do that very much, although I am attempting to sell a Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8 which is in great condition.

All great info.

So far, I really love the camera. It's really off most people's radar, but if they knew how great it was and what a bargain it was, I suspect there would be more people using it.

Thanks for the kind words!

The kind words are well-deserved. Your images are incredible to look at, I enjoy them very much. Cheers, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.