Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond B-3X for IPad

Without a doubt, this is an excellent emulation...especially the rotary, and agreed it gives pleasant Hammond sounds with all the right key-click, leakage, C/V, and like; and I love the additional effects, however I have not been able to get that top octave to scream out yet. I'm a rocker and use smears a lot. Love to get that snarling roar coming out of a hot solo, but am missing it with the app. Still tweaking EQ, Drive, Compression, and the like...any tips?

Now for ballads and jazzier tunes, this app might be the best sound I currently have access to. Really like it...just need to figure out how to get it a little more rude when the tune calls for it.

Yes. It doesn't scream enough. It sounds good for jim alfredsson on the jazz stuff but I cant play like jim. And I likely won't ever be. For rock stuff it's kinda tame. I've had some success with the cab settings emphasizing the top horn but it's still only half aggressive enough. But using the effects and setting the cab settings high up causes buffering artifacts on my only 1 year old ipad mini4. I'm not inclined to upgrade my ipad to chase an app.

At least not until it screams like jon lord. The other problem is the left hand work pushes down the right hand work. IK needs to change this compression factor. VB3v1 and a vent still kicks b3x's butt.

Just a wild guess on my part since I don't have the software (yet anyway) but would the ability to mix in a little of the guitar amp sound give you the upper range edge the two of you would want? That's one of the things that intrigue me about this app. I remember talking with Sal Azz once after he had been at a recording session by Joey D and he was explaining how they mixed some straight line out signal off the preamp with the Leslie signal in the final mix. Not something I had even thought about but it would make sense in order to get some of the warble out of the bass registers on tremolo speed. I'm not sure if you can mix in all three or not but that would be a lot of versatility if you can. Not sure any of the other software clones give you the ability to mix different signals. But possibly some crunch from the guitar amp section would give it the scream.

It's an interesting idea, and I've seen other people wish for it, but I don't think I"ve ever seen a soundless controller that include a USB audio connection and audio outs (that is, building that audio interface into the keyboard itself). But maybe there's one out there. The boards I know with built in interfaces all also have sounds in them.

I believe I am correct in thinking that the new YC-61 includes USB audio, as does the RD-88. However both are over-specced for my particular needs.

I think maybe a Numa Compact 2X would work for you, even if you ignored its internal sounds and just used it as a controller. Decent action (even aftertouch, if you want to do some synth stuff), 9 sliders that can send MIDI CC to B-3X along controls for percussion, etc., and it does audio over USB, which can go to its audio outs (or even its internal speakers, if you want). It has pedal inputs, but if you want more, there are accessories that can add them easily enough.

Hmm...good call. The Numa ticks a lot of boxes, certainly...although I believe the action is different to my Electro, and I don't really need 88-keys. A 73-key version with shoulder-mountable gig-bag (for cycling) would be perfect!

Cheers,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Without a doubt, this is an excellent emulation...especially the rotary, and agreed it gives pleasant Hammond sounds with all the right key-click, leakage, C/V, and like; and I love the additional effects, however I have not been able to get that top octave to scream out yet. I'm a rocker and use smears a lot. Love to get that snarling roar coming out of a hot solo, but am missing it with the app. Still tweaking EQ, Drive, Compression, and the like...any tips?

Now for ballads and jazzier tunes, this app might be the best sound I currently have access to. Really like it...just need to figure out how to get it a little more rude when the tune calls for it.

Yes. It doesn't scream enough. It sounds good for jim alfredsson on the jazz stuff but I cant play like jim. And I likely won't ever be. For rock stuff it's kinda tame. I've had some success with the cab settings emphasizing the top horn but it's still only half aggressive enough. But using the effects and setting the cab settings high up causes buffering artifacts on my only 1 year old ipad mini4. I'm not inclined to upgrade my ipad to chase an app.

At least not until it screams like jon lord. The other problem is the left hand work pushes down the right hand work. IK needs to change this compression factor. VB3v1 and a vent still kicks b3x's butt.

Great discussion everyone on sound and controllers!

Regarding sound, perhaps try a different combo of amp and leslie cab. Each amp seems to have a different distort when the gain is pushed. I saw that IK just uploaded two videos on YT from the NAMM show, so you could take note on some of the settings demo'ed.

I saw that IK just uploaded two videos on YT from the NAMM show, so you could take note on some of the settings demo'ed.
]I saw that IK just uploaded two videos on YT from the NAMM show, so you could take note on some of the settings demo'ed.

Indeed!

This guy sounds pretty good...

[video:youtube]

Cheers,

James

x

• Like 1

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

I too, am looking for the scream in the upper octaves. This past weekend I started looking at the 4 different tonewheel sets available and one of the A100 sets seemed to have more upper end than the default 1956 B3. Actually the default tonewheel set was the most muted in the top end.

Kurzweil Forte 7, Mojo 61, Yamaha P-125,

Kronos X61, Nautilus 73

Does the iPad app sound identical to the computer.app?

Jim says 'Yes'. He wouldn"t lie to us.

I"m still lovin" it.

[video:youtube]

From 425 lbs. to an iPad app......amazing.

Jake

• Like 1

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

Hello. I'm new here.

I'm thinking of buying this app. Sounds really good.

I have a question for B-3X users.

I would like to use only one keyboard. Split function. Left arm bass and right arm upper part.

Is it possible to EXCLUDE THE EXPRESSION FUNCTION on the bass (left side) while it is active on the right side?

Thanks to everyone who can help.

Hello. I'm new here.

I would like to use only one keyboard. Split function. Left arm bass and right arm upper part.

Is it possible to EXCLUDE THE EXPRESSION FUNCTION on the bass (left side) while it is active on the right side?

Welcome to the forum Control Freak!

I own an XB-3. You can split your keyboard so that (for example), MIDI Channel 1 plays upper, Ch 2 plays lower, Ch 3 plays bass pedals. However, the expression function (I map it to a volume pedal) is global. This is exactly how a real Hammond works.

Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha AN200, Logic Pro X,  Arturia Microbrute, Behringer Model D, Yamaha UX-3 Acoustic Piano, assorted homemade synth modules

What about drawbars? It seems they only receive on one channel and top drawbars and lower drawbars all have different midi CCs.

Can this all be used if the bottom drawbars have the same midi CCs but on a different channel? It doesn't appear that way. So if controller can't assign different CCs to drawbars, it can only be used on the top manual.

Loving this app! It's slowly becoming the organ model/engine for my Fantom 7, which is an irony of sorts...

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Thank you piano39 for your answer. I know with real Hammond this option is not possible.

I saw that on each page (upper, lower and pedal) an icon from the expression pedal was displayed. I thought it was possible to reduce (exclude) this option with one of these. Can you please check.

From all my testing and research, it appears that the expression function is global, which makes sense since they are trying to reproduce a real Hammond. I can"t seem to isolate it either on CC number or channel.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

I pulled the trigger and bought the B-3X for iPad.

I carry around a Roland FA-07 all the time. This is an easy upgrade for the internal organ. I already use my iPad for Neo Soul Keys Studio 2 to upgrade the authenticity of the Rhodes.

For less than 1/3 of the price of putting a Mini Vent II on the sub out I think this will hit the spot and price point I needed.

Will let you know how it goes.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

I pulled the trigger and bought the B-3X for iPad.

I carry around a Roland FA-07 all the time. This is an easy upgrade for the internal organ. I already use my iPad for Neo Soul Keys Studio 2 to upgrade the authenticity of the Rhodes.

For less than 1/3 of the price of putting a Mini Vent II on the sub out I think this will hit the spot and price point I needed.

Will let you know how it goes.

I'll be very interested in hearing your opinion, Jeff. I have the FA-07 as well & am thinking of going this route. Using a Legend Live module right now but something about that Hammond app draws me to it. Still up in the air about iPad vs. Windows tablet. Not wanting to derail the thread, so can let me know by PM if you wish, but how do you like the Neo-Soul for wurli & clav? Thanks.

I bought it too. I'm using it on my ipad with my Kronos 73. I love it so far - it has sounds I've always wanted to be able to use live.

I didn't need anything additional -- I already was using the iPad for ForScore. Impressive.

• Like 1

Yamaha Montage M6, Nord Stage 4 - 88, Hammond SK-Pro 73, Yamaha YC-73, Mainstage, Yamaha U1 Upright

Hello. I'm new here.

Yeah, expression is global. I'm wondering if you can run two instances in AUM Mixer with one instance on one MIDI ch, the second instance mapped to same device on second MIDI ch. Perhaps there's a way to filter the expression CC for the second instance via AUM but I never tried it.

I"m not holding a $100 app entirely to the same standard of an XK5 system, Viscount Legend or Mojo dual manual tricked out with Vents and Loundsberry pedals, but I disagree with the views that this doesn"t rock enough.

I just called up a few out of the box presets for a John Lord Purple B and Gimme Some Lovin" and I think I am quite happy with the quality as a major upgrade over my rompler organs, Roland SN and Kurzweil KB3 presets. I was seeking improvement for my general purpose boards and the confidence in knowing it"s there at my fingertips when I want to kick a little more organ. It rocks a lot better than the Kurz and a lot better than the Roland organs, if for nothing else the Leslie is better. Organ centric gig? I"ll take out the Viscount Legend if I am taking the band to The Holy Church of John Medeski. Otherwise, daily life means quick rehearsals, tiny bar spaces in the corner of the local Irish Pub, quick setup times between dinner rush and the hit. This is where B-3X for iPad earns its keep.

• Like 1

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

Is it possible to use two different applications at the same time?

I would like to use the B3X on the upper side and the electric bass (say from the Korg Module) on the left. Maybe in this way I could disable expression on the bass. How can I do this?

You"ll need a two zone controller. Map zone 1 to the top 3 octaves and use channel 1 for B3X, and use zone two for the bottom and use the KORG module on channel 4, since 2 and 3 will be used for B3X.

Jake

"It needs a Hammond"

You"ll need a two zone controller.

While that is helpful, it is not necessary. You should be able to do it with a single zone controller if you also use an app like KeyStage, Camelot Pro, or iMidiPatchbay.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

There are some interesting thoughts here on using an iPad and a controller (no onboard sounds) for a gig rig.

I love my iPad features as a sound module live, but I don't think I would gig with just an iPad as a sound engine and no onboard sounds to fall back on.

iPads can and will glitch on gigs for whatever reason. Battery time is also not always predictable with iPad instruments. If I have a Korg Plug Key in my lightning input, it means I cannot charge it while I play.

Having B-3X organs, Neo Soul keys Rhodes, or Ravenscroft being played from my FA-07 will, no doubt, give me some different (and better, for my taste) sounds than my rompler presets.

However, if my iPad randomly decides to reboot itself or the battery shuts down in the middle of a tune, I need to cut over to my rompler presets on the fly.

YMMV. But for me iPad is "in addition to" a hardware keyboard, not a replacement for.

This guy sounds pretty good...

Yeah, JA did a nice demo, no surprise there! But one thing that struck me was calling to the assistant off-stage to switch in some different scenarios (effects, etc.) that he wanted to demonstrate. I would have thought/hoped that every combination you could want could be saved as a recallable preset.

Battery time is also not always predictable with iPad instruments. If I have a Korg Plug Key in my lightning input, it means I cannot charge it while I play.

Actually, you can. The PlugKey has a charging port.

But yeah, I don't think I'd choose a soundless controller. Even a reasonably priced Numa Compact 2X gives you well-positioned organ controls for B-3X, and your backup sounds, plus 88 keys making it more suitable for piano and/or splits than most. If you want better organ-specific ergonomics, putting it on an actual clonewheel might be the ideal way to go.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

If you want better organ-specific ergonomics, putting it on an actual clonewheel might be the ideal way to go.

Straddling two bandwagons I realize, but would there be any perceivable upgrade by controlling B-3X iPad from a Mojo61? GSI firmware offers some very deep editing in almost every area. I"ve gotten some pretty mature results (although I"d like to hear more body overall, and perhaps more weighty percussion tone).

Here for the gear.

If you want better organ-specific ergonomics, putting it on an actual clonewheel might be the ideal way to go.

Straddling two bandwagons I realize, but would there be any perceivable upgrade by controlling B-3X iPad from a Mojo61? GSI firmware offers some very deep editing in almost every area. I"ve gotten some pretty mature results (although I"d like to hear more body overall, and perhaps more weighty percussion tone).

There's a big difference. Whether it's an upgrade or not is subjective. I personally like the sound B3x much more than vb3ii(mojo) and more than my legend solo (with onboard sim) but I'm sure many feel different. What I don't like is another device (iPad) to worry about on stage.

Although it can be argued that because I need my vent ii that's another device albeit much less to think about than midi controlling an iPad.