Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Swart R-2 ribbon mic for guitar amps

KuruPrionz

Anybody have one or try one?

https://swartamps.com/swart_R-2_ribbon_microphone.htm

At $399 for a handmade USA ribbon mic I am curious. Usually for gigs I either use the speaker sim out on my Katana 100 combo or Peavey Envoy 110 (latest version).

They have Sennheisers at the Thursday night gig so I bring little amps. I've used my EV PL95 for guitars, it's a great mic for that.

It looks like this one could be put closer than most ribbons can handle. Still a figure of 8 pattern so probably more of a studio thing. The nulls on the side are usually deep though.

So as long as it's not within range of a vocal monitor it should be fine.

Thoughts?

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like the housing would be a source for very serious internal resonances. Not to be a skeptic about something I haven't heard, but it really doesn't look right. There's a reason pro mic capsules are surrounded by acoustically transparent cages instead of sealed boxes.
Scott Fraser

Never tried one I am totally satisfied with the old standby Sure SM57 for miking up the guitar and recording with it I also have a SM 58 for live vocals, and a cheapo knockoff (Studio Projects C-1 http://studioprojects.com/c1.html) of the Naumann U87 for vocals. It is not quite as adept as the U87, but it suffices. I once had a U87 and it was awesome and have regretted selling the U87 for many years.

Looks like the housing would be a source for very serious internal resonances. Not to be a skeptic about something I haven't heard, but it really doesn't look right. There's a reason pro mic capsules are surrounded by acoustically transparent cages instead of sealed boxes.

I wondered about that too. I get the front/back providing some protection from blasts of air. Ribbon mics are very sensitive to that and usually placed back at least a couple of feet.

And I wonder what is inside besides the obvious "ribbon and magnets".

It might be perfectly fine or it might have internal resonance. Being that small the resonance frequencies might be higher than the ribbon picks up, especially since the "works" would be filling most of the available space. There probably isnt a lot air inside there.

It's new so it isn't surprising if nobody has actually used one yet.

I may pop this up to the top again after it sinks to the bottom and see if anybody's gotten one. Cheers, Kuru.

There are some demos on YouTube.

I question this one since the mic he speaking into doesn't sound very good. So we might be hearing two mics blended together, one of them at least not good.

This one sounds better (for YouTube but not sure exactly what we are listening to.

Better, much better.

This sounds good, probably the best one so far. Still YouTube...