Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

boosting synth output - pedal?

I play either synth bass or electric bass on a song-by-song basis in my current band. The synth bass comes from a Nord Lead A1. My head is a Quilter Bass Block 800. The electric bass goes into the instrument input and the Nord goes into the line input.

If I run the Nord"s output around 75% (with patch volumes at max), the electric bass matches volume around '3" on the instrument gain knob. I then set the master volume of the Quilter for overall volume. I sometimes feel like I"m running out of volume. It"d be easy enough to boost the electric bass, but that throws off the balance between the two instruments.

Any recommendations for boosting the Nord"s output? The manual says it"s unbalanced, line level (no other specs). A pedal is preferred. Perhaps the MXR Micro Amp? It"s input impedance is 1M; output impedance is 470. The Quilter"s line input impedance is 10k.

Thanks.

Roland Fantom 06; Yamaha P-125; QSC K10; Cubase 13 Pro; Windows 10

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is possible that the two inputs on the bass amp are passively coupled and is loading down the output of the Nord with both inputs being used. Is there an improvement if you remove the bass guitar from the amp while playing synth bass?

An A/B pedal may be a solution.

The inputs are not coupled. The line input goes directly to the power section. This setup technique is listed in the Bass Block manual (and recommended by Pat Quilter himself).

I think the mxr micro amp expects an instrument level input. For boosting the Nord I would suggest a small mixer. Yamaha makes the MG-06 its small and works well I have one. It can handle both line & instrument level inputs.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

I do have a little Mackie mixer but am trying to go with something more compact. That Yamaha looks cool - thanks for the tip.

I'm now wondering if the Nord's output is -10 and if a +4 level shift pedal would help...

can't get much more compact than this. I own one, size of a cigarette pack. You could permanently velcro it to your bass head somewhere, weighs 1 pound.

link

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

The old EHX LPB is fairly transparent. A MXR micro amp might work also. A little bit can go a long way.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Thanks everyone. I'm digging into all suggestions.

MXR said the Micro Amp would color the tone. I assume due to the 1M input impedance? They suggested the CAE Boost/Line driver for cleaner boost (only a little more expensive).

The advice that a little can go a long way strikes me as practical.

FWIW.

I usually boost stuff at the Keyboard sub mixer. Rolls or Key Largo or Ashley etc.... carrying a mixer is overkill if you don"t need it so you should buy more synthesizers. ð

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

What about an AB switch? The Boss LS-2 lets you set levels for each input.

Does not appear to offer amplification. Specs show the nominal input and output levels are both -20db which would indicate that there is no gain.

Cool widget but probably not the correct tool.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

My XK1 clone wheel has a rather low output compared to anything else I have. I run it through an Organ Grinder / Ventilator combo.

I wanted some extra gain out of the Hammond so I'm using a SansAmp Programmable Bass DI pedal up front that I had laying around. It's got three patches available which gives me different gain/EQ options. (It also has adjustable drive, but that just creates flabby mush, so I don't use that at all.) Anyway, it works for me.

Go get the Tall Fat & Wide pedal from Lounsberry. It does exactly what you want and no more, does not screw with your sound unless you want it to, it"s compact and easy to set and forget, and it sounds incredible. I have one and I use it whenever I have to haul out an old digital synthesizer with wimpy output.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Go get the Tall Fat & Wide pedal from Lounsberry. It does exactly what you want and no more, does not screw with your sound unless you want it to, it"s compact and easy to set and forget, and it sounds incredible. I have one and I use it whenever I have to haul out an old digital synthesizer with wimpy output.

Caveat: Don't run this pedal, and possibly others, in an FX loop on a mixer. It inverts the signal. I tried to use it as a booster and it actually subtracted level because it was out of phase. Run it inline with the instrument and the phase won't matter.

Moe

---