Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Casiotone S300 as really cheap travel keyboard?

Just a follow-up: After doing a web search, this appears to be a problem that is not unique to CT-S300. Many keyboards appear to exhibit this behavior in this configuration (Keyboard USB MIDI Out -> iPad, iPad audio out -> Keyboard audio in)..often referred to as "USB ground loop". I see that Mike Martin commented on a Casio forum that this as a general problem of the technologies involved, not necessarily a problem with a particular keyboard, i.e. it stems from the fact that USB is not grounded.

To be more accurate, the problem is the fact that USB is not isolated (the way 5-pin MIDI is, for example). Can be solved with one of these: USB Ground Loop Isolator

- Jimbo

Interesting. Probably won"t spend the $45 to find out if it solves my particular issue. Not a big problem for me and also trying to minimize connections on my couch setup :). Thanks for the info though!

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't too crazy about patch #1 Stereo Grand Piano, probably because I don't plan on running this in stereo. However, patch #2, Grand Piano seems OK.

Give a listen here:

Casio CT-S300

I tried it out with my Livetrak L12......another sweet piece.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

I wasn't too crazy about patch #1 Stereo Grand Piano, probably because I don't plan on running this in stereo. However, patch #2, Grand Piano seems OK.

Give a listen here:

Casio CT-S300

I tried it out with my Livetrak L12......another sweet piece.

Jake

Good playing! I think this demonstrates what I was saying; it sounds pretty good on the attack and passages without a lot of sustain sound good.

My brother also has a Livetrak L12 and likes it a lot; .nicely thought out practical combination of features for a good price.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

Just a follow-up: After doing a web search, this appears to be a problem that is not unique to CT-S300. Many keyboards appear to exhibit this behavior in this configuration (Keyboard USB MIDI Out -> iPad, iPad audio out -> Keyboard audio in)..often referred to as "USB ground loop". I see that Mike Martin commented on a Casio forum that this as a general problem of the technologies involved, not necessarily a problem with a particular keyboard, i.e. it stems from the fact that USB is not grounded.

To be more accurate, the problem is the fact that USB is not isolated (the way 5-pin MIDI is, for example). Can be solved with one of these: USB Ground Loop Isolator

- Jimbo

Interesting. Probably won"t spend the $45 to find out if it solves my particular issue. Not a big problem for me and also trying to minimize connections on my couch setup :). Thanks for the info though!

Update: I did go ahead and order the device that Jimbo suggested (actually $50) and it did indeed drastically reduce the noise. Was originally hesitant to spend $50 for a keyboard I spent $115 for, but I figured it might come in handy in other audio situations with USB devices. So now happily playing Ivory Grand with CT-S300, an iPad and a two short cables...on my couch! :thu:

Thanks again Jimbo.

www.stickmanor.com

I took a quick look at the user manual, and I didn't see a way to split the keyboard.........is that possible?

Not that I can tell. There are some tones which have splits built in (e.g. bass/piano) but even then you don't hae control of the split point.

www.stickmanor.com

• 1 month later...

Bumping this thread as I will soon have a similar need.

The wife and I are planning a 5-week vacation in the Europe to celebrate our retirements. We're going to spend a week in London and four weeks in Italy in four different places. I want to bring something small and light with me, and the CT-S300 looks like a contender. I can't be away from playing for that long, and want something simple and light to practice/play during downtime.

However, I'm concerned about the logistics of it all.

This will most likely have to be checked and not carried on the plane (we're taking small aircraft between London and Italy). There are four flights in total, plus a few trains and rental car. I would prefer a case/bag over the box, as it would be less bulky to handle. I don't want a flight case due to the cost and weight, but would prefer something like the Fusion Keyboard 04 or Mono Vertigo 61. Does anyone have experience with traveling with a firm gig bag instead of a flight case?

I'm also a bit concerned about carrying it around as we move from place to place. I'll have a rolling suitcase and a backpack which will latch onto the roller when necessary. It would be very handy to find a gig bag that I can fling over my shoulder.

Your thoughts and experiences are appreciated.

Mike,

If you're looking for two handed practice the S300 is tough to beat. However, if you are trying to minimize as much as possible why not try a Yamaha reface CP and buddy it up with some sequences on your phone? Way portable, built in speakers, battery powered, and although mini keyed still playable. Also small enough to pack in a suitcase.

Just a thought.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

Hi Jake, thanks for the reply.

3 octaves are not going to cut it, as I need something for true two handed practice. I'd also like to stay away from mini keys.

Given that, even a 49-key controller won't fit into the 24" suitcase. The new iRig Keys 49 controller is contender, even though I think IK stuff is pricey. And I'd still have the same logistics challenges.

The wife and I are planning a 5-week vacation in the Europe to celebrate our retirements. We're going to spend a week in London and four weeks in Italy in four different places. I want to bring something small and light with me, and the CT-S300 looks like a contender. I can't be away from playing for that long, and want something simple and light to practice/play during downtime.

I just kept the original box, put some extra bubble wrap in it, and checked it on the plane. I figure it's about 95% as secure as a TSA flight case, far better than a "stiff gig bag" could ever be, and totally free.

Just be aware, you're probably going to need to take the underground from Heathrow and around town. It's very possible, but a little cumbersome to haul around lots of gear. I did it this summer, as I was playing Seaboard at a conference. Europeans don't take as much on trips as Americans, so you will probably stand out like a sore thumb, but I didn't really mind.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

I just kept the original box, put some extra bubble wrap in it, and checked it on the plane. I figure it's about 95% as secure as a TSA flight case, far better than a "stiff gig bag" could ever be, and totally free.

Just be aware, you're probably going to need to take the underground from Heathrow and around town. It's very possible, but a little cumbersome to haul around lots of gear. I did it this summer, as I was playing Seaboard at a conference. Europeans don't take as much on trips as Americans, so you will probably stand out like a sore thumb, but I didn't really mind.

Heathrow Express to Paddington, then a cab to the hotel. It will not move from there until we leave for Bologna, then it"s just a reverse trip.

I understand about the box being protective for the flights, but it will be a royal PITA everywhere else. Venice is one of our Italy stops, and regular luggage on the vaporetto is bad enough, but I can"t imagine trying to haul a cardboard box around.

Maybe I should just scrap the whole idea and try to make due with my iRig Keys Pro. While in London I can steal away to Paddington and play the uprights they have in the concourse.

Regarding travel cases, Amazon features various photography stand cases that might serve your purpose for reasonable cost. You may have to add a little padding and get creative.

HERE is an example.

That's a great suggestion Steve. I forgot all about that, despite having bought a tripod bag in the past for my short speaker stands. Thanks so much for the input.

Heathrow Express to Paddington, then a cab to the hotel.

Heathrow Express? Are you set on that? I checked it out when I was there this summer, and it's supposed to be only slightly faster and about 5x the price. Everyone I talked to seemed to suggest it was a total scam. I can't comment about the quality though, as we just got Oyster cards and hopped on the tube to Piccadilly (right next to Paddington).

That is a great suggestion about tripod bags. I would want to rig up some kind of major padding, though. At that point, you might consider putting the original box inside the bag if you can make it fit.

I'm so ready for one of these kickstarters with "sectional pianos" to come to fruition. Roli Lumi gets close, but they're not full size keys and cost a fortune due to the silly lights. There are some other projects out there with 2-octave sections that fit together, but nothing has ever made it to market.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

• 2 months later...

Anybody compared the action of these two? Action feel and response is my main concern.

Casio CT-S300

Roland Go Keys 61

Yamaha NP12

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

• 1 month later...

Update: I did go ahead and order the device that Jimbo suggested (actually $50) and it did indeed drastically reduce the noise. Was originally hesitant to spend $50 for a keyboard I spent $115 for, but I figured it might come in handy in other audio situations with USB devices. So now happily playing Ivory Grand with CT-S300, an iPad and a two short cables...on my couch! :thu:

Thanks again Jimbo.

I also encountered the electrical noise issue with my new Casio CT-S300 when trying to use the USB port and Audio In simultaneously, and so it was with some interest that I read the conversation between Sam Mullins and JimboKeys about the ground loop. The USB Ground Loop isolator discussed costs £49 here in the UK (actually, there's a newer version called iDefender+), and I was very reluctant to spend that much to solve the problem for a fairly low cost keyboard.

But thinking about the problem for a while, I realised that there would probably be a cheaper way to solve it. If the ground loop exists between the USB port and the Audio In port, then surely as long as any of those two ports are isolated, the ground loop should be removed.

To test my theory, I purchased a cheap ground loop isolator for a 3.5mm audio jack, and plugged that into the Audio In port. Total cost: slightly less than £5.

And it works! The humming/buzzing completely disappears when the 3.5mm ground loop isolator is used. So I'm glad to have been able to solve the problem at 1/10th the cost of going down the route of getting the USB isolator. I just thought I'd share this information in case anyone else is looking to solve the same problem.

Anybody compared the action of these two? Action feel and response is my main concern.

Casio CT-S300

Roland Go Keys 61

Yamaha NP12

Haven"t tried the Casio but I owned a Go Piano 61 for 3 years, it has a better action than the the NP12, but only in the sense that McDonald"s has better French Fries than Burger King - there"s a difference but it"s trivial. Both actions are springy - suited to a staccato and/or heavy/blunt legato playing style - but difficult for nuanced dynamics in-between. I prefer the action on the Yamaha CP, over both the Go Piano and NP12 - but it"s only 37 mini-keys, even then the Yamaha CP is my favorite 'little' keyboard.

The Go Piano 61 was frustrating because it"s 'almost there'. The form factor is nearly perfect. I traveled all around Europe, N. America and Asia with it and never had to check it in. The airlines always let me hand carry it. I found a very snug backpack style rifle bag that kept the dimensions small - it was skinnier than a slim guitar or saxophone! I loved the Go Piano for that, always ready for an impromptu gig or jam session - literally anywhere. But the springy action drove me nuts after awhile. After 3 years I couldn"t stand it anymore and sold it.

Thanks again Jimbo.

I also encountered the electrical noise issue with my new Casio CT-S300 when trying to use the USB port and Audio In simultaneously, and so it was with some interest that I read the conversation between Sam Mullins and JimboKeys about the ground loop. The USB Ground Loop isolator discussed costs £49 here in the UK (actually, there's a newer version called iDefender+), and I was very reluctant to spend that much to solve the problem for a fairly low cost keyboard.

But thinking about the problem for a while, I realised that there would probably be a cheaper way to solve it. If the ground loop exists between the USB port and the Audio In port, then surely as long as any of those two ports are isolated, the ground loop should be removed.

To test my theory, I purchased a cheap ground loop isolator for a 3.5mm audio jack, and plugged that into the Audio In port. Total cost: slightly less than £5.

And it works! The humming/buzzing completely disappears when the 3.5mm ground loop isolator is used. So I'm glad to have been able to solve the problem at 1/10th the cost of going down the route of getting the USB isolator. I just thought I'd share this information in case anyone else is looking to solve the same problem.

Excellent! Glad you found a cheaper solution

..and wondering why I didn't think of something similar :blush:

FYI, subsequent to the original discussion I upgraded from old iPad air 2 to a new iPad mini 5 and the noise issue was far less on that system..to the point that i don't really need the isolator.

www.stickmanor.com

• 1 month later...

@ Steve, thanks for the share, that's about what I want to spend for a bag for one of these!

Do they qualify as overhead luggage? Might be a bit long.

Here's a thought for those of you thinking of using it for family gatherings:

For $20 more the LK-250 has most of the features (but not the PW!) plus the lighted keys. I obviously have no use for that but I'll probably get that one instead of the CT-S300 because the lighted keys are a fun way to introduce piano lessons. I see myself as something of a music and keyboard evangelist in the family, and this presents a low-cost, fun to play board that parents and kids are likely to enjoy.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Thanks Steve! May have to pick this up.

I just noticed that I never posted a pic of my CT-S300/iPad couch rig in this thread. I did post it in the "Dig my Rig" thread, but there is probably more interest here.

http://www.stickmanor.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/casio_ipad_trim_med.jpg

- Casio CTS-S300 with built-in speakers (powered by rechargeable batteries)

- iPad mini 5 with assorted apps (Korg Module/Ivory, Neo Soul Keys, Sampletank, various soft synths)

- short 3.5mm audio cable from iPad to Casio external audio

- USB to lightning adapter from Casio to iPad

- All of above velcro'd together

- optionally a sustain pedal

Really enjoying this.

www.stickmanor.com

Received mine a few days ago, and have only had a chance to do cursory playing. I'm pleasantly surprised by the velocity mapping. I had a Yamaha NP-11 some years back and hated the overly sensitive nature of playing - even the lightest touch resulted in a harsh sound. The Casiotone is much better - I can actually get some expression out of it.

It's a very handy and fun to play instrument that I can use to practice while I'm traveling or sitting out on my patio. Lot of bang for the buck!

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I was excited about this revisiting of the CT when announced and am looking forward to picking one up instead of the GoPiano. Perfect for popping in to work with singers or sit at the kitchen table to do some transcribing.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I was excited about this revisiting of the CT when announced and am looking forward to picking one up instead of the GoPiano. Perfect for popping in to work with singers or sit at the kitchen table to do some transcribing.

And, it has a mic input for your singers! Doesn't sound like you can change the pre-configured fx on the voice.

Thanks Steve! May have to pick this up.

I just noticed that I never posted a pic of my CT-S300/iPad couch rig in this thread. I did post it in the "Dig my Rig" thread, but there is probably more interest here.

http://www.stickmanor.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/casio_ipad_trim_med.jpg

- Casio CTS-S300 with built-in speakers (powered by rechargeable batteries)

- iPad mini 5 with assorted apps (Korg Module/Ivory, Neo Soul Keys, Sampletank, various soft synths)

- short 3.5mm audio cable from iPad to Casio external audio

- USB to lightning adapter from Casio to iPad

- All of above velcro'd together

- optionally a sustain pedal

Really enjoying this.

Cool, thanks for sharing, velcroing them together is a good idea. I've been wondering what to do with my ipad mini 2

• 3 weeks later...

Dear forum members

I started playing piano at the beginning of the year and bought a Casio PX-S1000. Now I'm thinking about buying something cheap, small and light with 61 keys for the holidays. So that I can practice further.

Since I always have a notebook or tablet with me with a Piano VST (Garritan CFX lite, Pianoteq), I only need a keyboard. I am aware that this will not be as good as a weighted piano-like keyboard at home. But it is light and portable.

The following options are currently on my shortlist:

1 Casiotone CT-S300

2 Nektar GX61

3 M Audio Keystation 61 Mk3

Based on your experience:

• Do you have a recommendation, which cheap 61-key keyboard is most suitable when it comes to pure piano learning during the holidays? I.e. the usual Midi controller features don't matter at all. It's all about the keys and the easy transportability.
  • Does the Casiotone CT-S300 used as a midi keyboard drop in key quality compared to pure midi keyboards without sound generation? If not, it would be my favourite, as you can even practice without VST if necessary and the 6-year-old junior has a first practice device for himself, for example.

Many thanks & best regards

Tom

Casio PX-S1000, Pianoteq 8 Std

Dear forum members

I started playing piano at the beginning of the year and bought a Casio PX-S1000. Now I'm thinking about buying something cheap, small and light with 61 keys for the holidays. So that I can practice further.

Since I always have a notebook or tablet with me with a Piano VST (Garritan CFX lite, Pianoteq), I only need a keyboard. I am aware that this will not be as good as a weighted piano-like keyboard at home. But it is light and portable.

The following options are currently on my shortlist:

1 Casiotone CT-S300

2 Nektar GX61

3 M Audio Keystation 61 Mk3

Based on your experience:

• Do you have a recommendation, which cheap 61-key keyboard is most suitable when it comes to pure piano learning during the holidays? I.e. the usual Midi controller features don't matter at all. It's all about the keys and the easy transportability.
  • Does the Casiotone CT-S300 used as a midi keyboard drop in key quality compared to pure midi keyboards without sound generation? If not, it would be my favourite, as you can even practice without VST if necessary and the 6-year-old junior has a first practice device for himself, for example.

Many thanks & best regards

Tom

You get what you pay for.

Cheap does not equate to a good keybed and those you quote will not have a keybed feel anywhere like your S1000.

Cheap MIDI keyboard controllers do not have keys with hammer action, at best they have spongy, inconsistent keybeds.

Best option is to buy a Yamaha P121 which has 73 keys and inbuilt piano voices that imo are superior to those in your Casio.

Col

If you only want it for the holidays then the Casio is probably ideal. Dedicated MIDI controllers will typically not have a better keybed, unless they have a hammer action. For a synth/waterfall action, the Casio is actually fairly decent and sufficient for practicing scales and fingerings and such. Obviously not so much for expressive solo piano pieces but it doesn't get much better at that price point and form factor.

The P121 is also very good for learning to play the piano and also fairly portable, but I don't see a significant difference compared to your S1000 that would in my view justify the purchase.

2019 W.Hoffmann T122 upright, Roland FP-50, Roland RD64, Korg Microkorg

Thanks for the opinions and hints.

I know and appreciate the Yamaha P121. But for me personally it is already overkill as my holiday tool. So it can be lighter and be more of a compromise. But I can see that is a perfect options if you are looking for a weighted action.

The main question is: is the half weighted M Audio Mk3 so much better than the Casiotone. If yes, I'll take that one. If they are about the same I'll go with the Casiotone as it offers a kind of dual use: Keyboard for my VST during holidays and a fun instrument for my boy.

Casio PX-S1000, Pianoteq 8 Std

Thanks for the opinions and hints.

I know and appreciate the Yamaha P121. But for me personally it is already overkill as my holiday tool. So it can be lighter and be more of a compromise. But I can see that is a perfect options if you are looking for a weighted action.

The main question is: is the half weighted M Audio Mk3 so much better than the Casiotone. If yes, I'll take that one. If they are about the same I'll go with the Casiotone as it offers a kind of dual use: Keyboard for my VST during holidays and a fun instrument for my boy.

I haven't played the Mk3 that you reference. However, I will say that whenever I go to a brick and mortar music store and play the cheap controllers (say < 200), I hate almost all of them. IMO, CT-S300 is much better than most of what I've seen in that price range (including other cheap Casio and Yamaha consumer keyboards).

It's possible that you would like the Mk3 action better...only you can say after playing both. But for your purposes, I would also consider the following advantages of the CT-S300: a) built-in sounds with speakers...so can be used totally separate from a laptop/tablet. b) that nice little handle for carrying c) ability to operate on rechargeable batteries.

www.stickmanor.com