Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help ! Pa4X or Genos?

Hi guys,

I'm new here and also new in the market for an arranger/workstation or one or both? (already very confusion at the start).

I decided for a top quality keyboard, also because there is a local auction (new instruments/bankruptcy/av. 50%off) here going on for another few days

But since i have no experience whatsoever in the keyboard field, im more confused then ever now, especially after watching way too many YT comparisons, videos, demo's, masterclasses, etc.

I better start telling you what i need: I want to write some music and songs. That's basically it. Just get the best possible ( and not too complicated) tool to get my ideas expressed.

I will never be performing alone or in a band, not interested in playing along with existing music or songs.

Just work at home, preferably not too over technically - not going to create a studio at home - and try to write some music (with and without voice), record it and maybe send it to bands or performers.

Not as a perfectly finished product, just as a good demo.

I only hope to find the best sounding tool to do it with (because some do sound not-so-good!).

After all my research, i have reduced it to the PA4X and the Genos, but having said that, i might be missing a few other interesting candidates here.

The fact that the PA4X already came out 5 yrs ago, should that "older technology"- argument be taken into consideration too?

I am just a basic piano player, and i realize I'll need to learn alot before i can use the arranger/workstation or one of those.

I prefer not to take the DAW road only, i'm not a pro (or maybe i get this wrong too...)

I would be very greatful for any advice, I have another week to decide on what i'll make an offer.

PS. I was wondering why it is that many of the Genos sound & styles demonstrations were playing kinda "cheesy" music while the PA4X demo's were in general far more "neutral"? An indication or just a coincidence?

Thanks,

Eduard

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want the instrument to create the backing tracks for your composition, that's an Arranger function (auto accompaniment). It's quick, and you don't need to know how to write parts for different instruments.

If you want to determine for yourself exactly what each backing instrument should be playing, that's a Workstation function (multitrack sequencer). It's more effort, but you have complete control.

A keyboard can have both functions.

Arranger backing tracks are limited to the styles that are supplied. If you're doing atypical composition (avant garde jazz, modern classical, progressive rock, ambient, etc.) they won't be very useful. But since you're looking to create demos to send to bands or performers, you're presumably talking about mainstream styles.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I had a PA4X for 2 weeks last year. I was deeply unimpressed with the sounds. I was under the mistaken assumption that there would be Kronos sounds included in a $4,000 board, but no.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Either the Pa4X or the Genos would be great, both are top of the line boards that'll give you great feeling a keyboard action (!), a lot of top panel controls to make adjustments easier, and top notch sounds.

One difference btw the 2 is that Yamaha has a much larger user base, so if you have a question to ask, you'll have lots of folks to ask on their forum. That said, the Pa4X forum is pretty well populated, you'd still get a lot of help there.

Korg Pa4X forum

I've got the Korg Pa1000, and while I love it and the powerful built-in speakers, I've found it somewhat challenging to learn the ins and outs of how to use it. I don't know how user friendly the Genos is.

What I've come to love about the Pa1000 (almost all the same Sounds and Styles as Pa4X), is the quality of sounds are phenomenal, and the Styles and Rhythms are equally fabulous. Very inspiring to play, it's like having studio quality musicians playing along with you.

I don't know but imagine the Yamaha sounds are also outstanding, but have no idea how good their Styles and Rhythms are. One clear distinction is that the Yamaha, being almost 50% more expensive, has a 9" display compared to 7". Thata nice!

If I was making this purchase I'd find out how user friendly people find these boards are (like I said, I find the Pa1000 a bit convoluted). Beyond that you don't have a lot to go on, you're too inexperienced to know if you'd prefer the Sounds or Styles of one against the other.

The Pa4X has the EC5 socket that allows you to hook up the EC5 pedal, which gives you 5 assignable foot switches. A big challenge with any arranger is that there are many things going on at once, and you're very often forced to raise your hands in order to change the Style variation or whatnot- those 5 footswitches are VERY handy!

I assume you've been over to the various Yamaha forums as well-

Good dilemna to have! Just be ready to spend oodles of time. Beyond learning how to navigate the OS and auditioning sounds to find Favorites, you also need to audition/play the hundreds of Styles that create the auto-accompaniment. IME that's a MAJOR undertaking.

Check back in when you've made your move! And I'd be very curious to know what you end up paying. Esp with these big ticket keyboards I'm always looking for great deals that might make one affordable.

Randy

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Genos by most accounts is the most advanced "arranger" keyboard available, has great sounds, and can out-articulate the Montage with Strings etc. Recent extensive firmware update adds some important features like chord looping.

PA4X is second best, perhaps more difficult to get used to.

Acutal street price of Genos is around 4400. The speakers/stand are good option.

Learning curve, no doubt. But there is alot of support and the system is made to be useable by "non-geeks".

Here's a real long video that gives a good idea of what it's like to use:

[video:youtube]

What I'm sure you know: Genos is not a sound designer. Available tweaks to sounds are very basic. However the sounds in Genos are very high resolution, and this is the best arranger board made to date.

Another option for you would be a JV1010 (circa 1999) + MPC1000 (circa 2003) + Midi controller of your choice. JV 1010 is small multi-timbral sound box with huge varitey of presets of good quality. Sibelius has a whole "soundset" for the 1010. It will play 16 channels at the same time. MPC 1000 is very deep MIDI sequencer and high quality sampler, and decent pad controller.

Learning curve is high on the latter, but both remain in high use, used prices rising, so there is help out there. I'm learning MPC 1000 now. It has an alternate OS which is still being actively developed, and widely praised.

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

Genos is the most advanced, Pa4x second runner? I suppose if you listen to Genos owners and go on their forums, you'd get that opinion. I've heard the opposite.

Unlike the Yamaha, the sound editing is almost as deep as any good synth out there, etc etc. However the new chord sequencer on the Yamaha sounds great. Back and forths on features is rarely the best way to evaluate a board for a beginner.

I think bottom line is what board would give this user the most satisfaction and inspire his music making for what he wants to do? Like I said in my above post, they are both ridiculously good boards, and for a beginner with arrangers I'd recommend the most user friendly, there's a ton to learn/assimilate. Without knowing from experience, I'd probably say that was Yamaha, just because the Pa1000 has been a real challenge to learn.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Thank you guys for taking the time to share your knowledge and opinions.

Indeed, it will clearly not be an easy, straight forward decision.

I am convinced both boards are top quality instruments, and they clearly have their own avid supporters.

Every user is different, so I'm sure 10 different boards could each be the best solutions for 10 different type of users.

The PA4X forum was very usefull, but to be honest, so was the Genos forum, both claiming new levels of extremely user friendlyness and the best sounds so far.

Maybe time will tell, but I've learned a few things already, so that cannot be a bad thing!