Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New KORG SV2??

Still uneasy about the SV-2 underneath. If it"s the same particle board as the SV-1, I"m out.

It looks to me like they are using the exact same chassis, so I think almost certainly the bottom is the same as on the SV1.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I spoke to the development team: every sound from the SV-1 is present in the 2 for compatibility. So everything New is 'plus' from the base of the original product. I thought the pianos were a significant step up. It was terrible listening conditions, as Dave F related, so I couldn"t make any really discerning judgements. But the pianos were better, and I felt the Keyboard was better than the first rev of the RH3 as used in the first release of the SV-1. They also improved the knob resolution, so the reverb/delay can be dialed in much more musically. Sadly, they didn"t address the Amp Gain knob on the front panel, so it just controls the gain, and doesn"t compensate for that gain by lowering the master output.

Jerry

Still uneasy about the SV-2 underneath. If it"s the same particle board as the SV-1, I"m out.

It looks to me like they are using the exact same chassis, so I think almost certainly the bottom is the same as on the SV1.

Shame. I think all of Korg"s weighted keyboards use particle board as a bottom, even the GrandStage and Kronos.

Actually, not many weighted 88s to be found with other brands too. The Montage8 also has MDF underneath.

So I"m hoping the RD-88 will not.

Well, I gave it shot today at NAMM, but after 20 to 30 seconds I gave up. There was really no point. No phones on the SV-2, only speakers. From the noise level I couldn't hear sh*t. It could have been an SV-1, a P120 or a friggin' RMI I was listening too. Really hopeless.

No offense to anyone that still finds inspiration, and just plain fun in going but after #34, I'm officially DONE with NAMM. And yes you can quote me on that.

THIS. A LOT.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

Gets wet ...

Really? Under which conditions? I never had this issue on my SV1... Do you play on a boat? Or in a very hot and wet room? How did you notice it was wet? Were there some bubbles falling on the ground? Just curious, because I really never noticed anything like this.

Gets wet ...

Really? Under which conditions? I never had this issue on my SV1... Do you play on a boat? Or in a very hot and wet room? How did you notice it was wet? Were there some bubbles falling on the ground? Just curious, because I really never noticed anything like this.

I was joking, although not entirely, ever since I read a forum post from a guy with a particle board underneath his weighted 88 about getting it wet. Some of my keyboards don"t reside on stands but on tables. And tables get wet. Damn, here I go again ...

I was joking, although not entirely, ever since I read a forum post from a guy with a particle board underneath his weighted 88 about getting it wet. Some of my keyboards don"t reside on stands but on tables. And tables get wet. Damn, here I go again ...

That's what rubber feet on the bottom are for :idea:

Would you guys, pricing being almost the same, by the sv2 in a month, or the grandstage now. I have studio monitors, so whereas the speakers would be cool on the SV2s, they aren't required.

Also why? Do the EPs sound the same on both? Do they sound the same on the SV1?

Would you guys, pricing being almost the same, by the sv2 in a month, or the grandstage now. I have studio monitors, so whereas the speakers would be cool on the SV2s, they aren't required.

Also why? Do the EPs sound the same on both? Do they sound the same on the SV1?

I like both board (SV2, Grandstage). Its totally subjective, but I'd take the SV2 if I were to buy one now. I really like the control panel that faces you. Makes it awesome in a two tier rig.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

I really like the control panel that faces you. Makes it awesome in a two tier rig.

This is one of the really great things about the SV-1/SV-2. That forward-facing panel is a real winner when you have another keyboard on top of it. Because I stand to play, I like to have my top keyboard directly above my bottom one to save back strain. Works so well with this 'board.

I spoke to the development team: every sound from the SV-1 is present in the 2 for compatibility. So everything New is 'plus' from the base of the original product.

That is awesome news. :thu:

While I do not plan to upgrade my SV-1, it's great to know that if I ever had to replace it, I can pick right up wherever I left off. :D:cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I came close to buying an SV1 some years ago but it didn't really do everything I needed at the time (no clonewheel). However, the band I'm working with these days is a 70s disco/soul covers band, and the whole vibe of the SV would work so well with that band. Something like a Roland FA or Yammie MODX to give me ROMpler+VA (or VFM!) would be a really cool rig for this band. (I don't really use organ with them, but a ton of EPs and plenty of Clav)

I went Nord instead of Korg, and my 7-year old Stage 2 has earned its keep many times over. No plans to update at the moment.

Cheers, Mike.

I completely forgot about the SV2 until Mr. Paxton reminded me. I had completely missed them when I previously went through the booth. Korg had all of two of them on display, sharing a stand so only one person at a time could really try them. :rolleyes: The stand was bouncy, too. So good luck getting anything more than a basic idea of the feel of the action. :facepalm: When I finally tried one on Sunday, I, uh, didn't hate the sounds. I mean, the SV1 never did anything for me, but I thought the piano sounded "fine" and the Wurly was fun to play. As others have mentioned, you can only tell so much in that environment.

But I mainly wanted to complain about Korg's poor display of it. :/

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Another 2K keyboard without channel, let alone poly, aftertouch. I guess they spent that money on the 2600.

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

Another 2K keyboard without channel, let alone poly, aftertouch. I guess they spent that money on the 2600.

Don"t need it for its primary purpose of organs and pianos. The FM synth in its current incarnation isn"t editable and they haven"t mentioned anything about an editing software.

It competes with the Electro and SK1 which also don"t have AT. The Electro doesn"t have a synth engine at all (the sample synth is useful but it"s extremely limited), the SK hasn"t a synth engine either.

But I agree, if the YC goes on top of a CP it"s silly not to give it an editable FM synth at this price point. In which case Channel AT would have been cool too.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Is the particle board only an 88 key thing? Because I had an SV1-73 for 3 years and do not remember ever seeing particle board on it.

SV-1 73 has particle board too. I"m not sure what the problem with it is. It does add to the weight but the weight of SV-1 is no secret. I have other keyboards with particle board too (Yamaha S90 ÃS, Promega 2) but I have also boards with plastic bottom (MoXF). Other than weight I prefer particle board over plastic.