Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb

Larryz

Hey, anybody try out one of these new amps or see them at a Namm show? I'm having a GAS attack and thinking seriously about buying a Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb 112 modeling SS amp that weighs in at 23+/- pounds! Here is a YT clip of a shoot out with the real amp. Even though they run $900 bucks, I wouldn't mind having one. Fender also makes a 33+/- pound Twin Reverb with 212's using the same technology. The reviews are mostly 5 star.

[video:youtube]

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TMDeluxeRev--fender-tone-master-deluxe-reverb-100-watt-1x12-inch-combo-amp

Any comments are appreciated! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks nice and sounds good.

I will say that Fender is WAY behind on this one.

I stopped using tube amps a few years ago. Tubes are not reliable, the last straw for me was a New Years Eve gig. I brought my "trusty" Red Plate Blues Machine, tubes were all in great shape to my knowledge and the previous few gigs went without a hitch. I was getting great tones with it. Set up, fired up the amp and it sounded feeble and crappy. I had no option, played the gig with it, ignoring the hum and the lesser tone. I got home and it needed to be re-baised.

Dialed it back in, sold it and never looked back. We will play 150 gigs this year, I need reliable. Everybody else can do whatever they want.

My other ongoing sense of shortcoming with tubes is that you need a different wattage amp for different gigs if you want that tube amp tone without blasting the room. 20 watts is way more than enough most of the time, you don't get that pretty sound until you turn it up too loud. Anyway, I'm done.

There are some great sounding solid state amps out there for less money than the Fender. Maybe they don't have the Fender "bling" but I haven't found them disappointing. The key to success is to dial for what you hear, not for what you are used to. In other words, don't just set your knobs visually and then think "this doesn't sound like I want it too." Figure out what is missing (or over-emphasized) and tweak until you fix it. We guitarists tend to be creatures of habit and it does not serve us well iin this manner.

For one, I use a Boss Katana 100 combo regularly. I've found I get a great tone by putting the wattage switch to 1/2 watt and turning the master volume up to about noon. It is plenty loud but not insane. I dial my tones based on the output section. The line out has a speaker sim, I plug it into a Whirlwind IMP2 DI box and it sounds just like the amp through the PA. No mic! The stock speaker sounds really good. MIne has zero mods, just a factory amp.

Depending on your needs, a Katana 50 might be all you need. I eliminated all my pedals using the 100, the 50 may not do that for you but it might. Smaller and lighter and new ones are mid $250 range.

Last ngiht I took out a Peavey Envoy 110, the current model. These probaby get a bad rep because the speaker is pretty feeble. It is a simple 2 channel amp with 3 way voicing switch for each channel. I set it up for a more or less Fender-ish tone. Foot switch is simple - one switch for clean and lead and one for boost, which can boost either channel. I had fun, the amp sounded great. In my mind, Transtube technology is Hartley Peavey's greatest contribution to amplifiers. It is analog solid state tube modeling and the current version is fantastic. I picked this amp up at a pawn shop recently, $50 for the amp and $15 for the footswitch. I did put a Peavey Scorpion 12" speaker in it, that made a HUGE difference. It now weighs in at 27 pounds. I had a Red Stripe Peavey Envoy and that was a great amp too. I put a Scorpion 10" in that one and gigged it for a while. The Red Stripe Studio Pro is a great amp but a bit heavier.

Tonight we play a small brew pub so I will bring a Roland Cube 40gx. This is another great amp. I found it at a thrift store for $40, you probably won't get a deal like that. It's small, light and more than loud enough for any gig.

Great tones if you dial for what you hear. Stock speaker is really good.

I've heard great things about the Quilter amps too but have not had a chance to try one.

So, take a look around before jumping in. Talk to other guitarists and try some things. Solid state has come a LONG way!!!! Cheers, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Been a while since I sold Fender Amps, but when I did, our general experience was that the Mexican-made Fender Tube Amps were overall somewhat better quality than the U.S.-made ones. YEMV, of course.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

I have a little Vox Pathfinder 15R that I bought new at Guitar Center in about 2002 or something for $99 because it just sounded way too unbelievably good to leave the store without... 8" speaker, 15 watts, lighter than some of my guitars in their cases... very tube-sounding. I've gigged with it, a bandmate used it last night in place of his Hot Rod Deluxe which he's tired of lugging around and is usually too loud when he gets to the point where it comes alive and sounds good. We played in a small but decent sized club and the soundguy didn't want to mic the guitar amps. It was loud enough and wasn't maxed out.

I've always loved that amp, particularly with a hollowbody jazzbox. I noticed in videos clips and shows like Austin City Limits that people like Feist and Norah Jones - who could afford and would probably be given any amp they wanted - use one or two of these little solid-state amps. A friend who lives in Brooklyn tells me he sees people from bands there, particularly females - taking the subway to their gigs with Pathfinders. After making my bandmate play through it in my practice room when he kept complaining that his amp was too loud, and he freaked out about how good it sounded, I googled it and found out there's a cult around them. Of course, Vox discontinued them and only sells the Pathfinder 10, now, which is 10 watts and a 6.5" speaker that supposedly sounds great but isn't going to challenge the company's more expensive amps for a gigging option.

This line of Fender amps sound great from the demos I've seen... it's just that I feel like I have something comparable (and simpler, technology-wise, which is less likely to fail) and smaller and lighter and that cost me 1/8 of the price.

@ Kuru, I've been running tubers since '72 when I bought my Fender Twin Reverb which weighs about 70lbs, sized down around '98 when I bought my Hot Rod 410 Deville which weighs about 50lbs, then about 4 years ago I sized down again when I bought my Hot Rod 112 Deluxe which weighs about 40lbs. I still have the HR Deville and the HR Deluxe. I also have a 100 watt ZT Cube 112 SS which weighs about 20lbs and I ran my Fender Floor pedal through it stuck on the '65 Fender Deluxe model amp. The Deluxe is still the amp I have lusted after for many years since a band buddy had one back in '65. His had to have a reverb unit on top as the 1st ones didn't have reverb. I have for about the last 4 years been playing, busking and singing through my Roland SS Cube Street EX4 ( 5 25 and 50 watts). It's a great little 22lb amp/pa which really gets the job done and my two tubers are gathering dust out in the garage LOL! Although I hauled out the HR Deluxe for my last wedding gig so my harp player could sing through my Roland with me.

@ Winston, My older Hot Rod Deville is made in the USA and has been a real workhorse since '98. Rode hard and put away wet, but still holding up. The Hot Rod Deluxe is made in Mexico and I've only used it for 4 years. We'll have to wait and see if it can hold up as long. I'll probably sell them both before I find out LOL!

@ P90, +1 I'm getting tired of lugging that 40lb Hot Rod Deluxe around too! I'm also thinking that this newer Fender 65 Deluxe SS can sound just as good or better than the HR Deluxe and it is 20lbs lighter. I have the Neodymium magnets in my Carvin PA speakers (which really cut the weight and are so small it's like having no magnets at all). I also like the XLR out on the new Fender modeling amp, the ability to cut the speaker and go direct to FOH or leave it on as a monitor and the ability to cut the wattage down to bedroom volume. They make a modeling Twin at 33lbs but the 23lb 22watt tube output SS Deluxe is all I would really need these days. It would make a great grab and go...

Anyway, thanks a ton for your comments guys! The big issue seems to be the price...but, I may still bite the bullet and sell my other amps. I can still use the Rolland amp/pa alone or use it with the new Deluxe if I play out again some day. :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Been a while since I sold Fender Amps, but when I did, our general experience was that the Mexican-made Fender Tube Amps were overall somewhat better quality than the U.S.-made ones. YEMV, of course.

My Fender Hot Rod Deluxe is a Mexican model, I put in an Eminence Cannabis Rex 12" speaker and it is the sweetest/fattest sounding amp I have ever owned bar none. And below is a list of all the amps I have owned since 1966 or so. I am trying to sell my Hot Rod Deluxe, I just had it gone over by one of the best amp techs in the Phoenix area and while he was at it, I had him change the capacitors, he also went through the amp and fixed or replaced all of the common flaws in the amp. So far it is one juicy amp, but it is heavy. I can lift it but I don't want to anymore.

1) Fender Black Face Bassman 1960's with 2-12 Cab with stock speakers

2) Fender Black Face Deluxe Reverb 1960's with stock speaker

3) Marshall Hundred Watt Plexi head with Sunn 6-12 Bass cabinet

4) Fender Silver Face Twin Reverb with 2- JBL K 120 Speakers

5) Fender Silver Face Pro Reverb with 2- JBL K 120 Speakers (this amp rocked, It was the only one I ever gigged with back in the day)

6) Fender Silver Face Deluxe Reverb with stock speaker

7) Peavey Hundred watt 2-12 hybrid amp (I don't remember the model number)

8) Peavey Fifty watt 2-12 hybrid amp (I don't remember the model number)

9) Peavey two Hundred watt hybrid amp head (I don't remember the model number or speaker combination)

10) Music Man Hundred watt hybrid Combo with stock speakers (I don't remember the model number)

11) Music Man fifty watt hybrid Combo with stock speakers (I don't remember the model number)

12) Fender 30 one twelve combo (Rivera Era) With stock speaker. (This is one of my all time favorites)

13) Seymour Duncan hundred watt head, model unknown with the pre amp modules that could be changed

14) Mesa Boogie Mark II C+ 80 watt head which was a Mark II B, then C, Then C+ With a 1-12 cab with an EVM 12L in it.

15) Mesa Boogie Quad Preamp with Strategy 400 Power amp with 4 -1-12 cabs with EVM 12L's in them.

16) Mesa Boogie Mark IV 80 watt combo (with the OEM EVM 12L speaker from the Mark II C+ that I still have but did not sell with the amp).

17) Gallien Kruegar Micro Lead ML250

18) Galilien Kruegar later model Micro Lead (Model unknown)

19) 2 Fender Frontman 15 Gs with a modeler pedal board in front for stereo practice.1

20) Fender Hot Rod Deluxe combo with an Eminence Cannabis Rex 12" speaker. (I still have it, It is my all time favorite amp with a pedalboard in front of it)

21) Bogner Alchemist 50 watt tube 1-12 combo, (did not like it, sent it back)

22) Mesa Boogie Hundred watt Lone Star Classic head. (did not like it, sent it back)

23) Fender Super Champ X2 15 watt combo with Eminence Lil Buddy 10" speaker (Sold it and regret selling it)

24) Ibanez TS 15 Head (did not like it, sent it back)

25) Egnater Tweaker 15 Watt Head. into an EVM 12 L 1-12 speaker cab (It is my second all time favorite amp with a pedal board in front of it)

26) Epiphone 5 watt Valve Junior Head which I sent to my kiddo as a gift.

I sold or traded or gave away all of the amps I mentioned above except for the Hot Rod Deluxe and the Tweaker 15 watt head.......

I"ve stopped using amps. So far so good but just two rehearsals. Won"t go out with this thing until March.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Pulled the trigger and brought that Tone Master Deluxe Reverb home today. Plugged her in and she sounds great! I'm running her at 12 watts and holding back on the 22watt setting, reverb at 2, tremolo speed at 2 intensity at 6...First impressions are at 5 stars but I have to spend more time with her before I'll know for sure. The big plus, is that GC gave me a 20% discount which lowered the price quite a bit (i.e. $899 down to $775 including the $56 sales tax). There was a Princeton on the floor right next to my amp (which they were holding for me). Mine weighs a lot less than the Princeton when I picked them up one at a time. Two of my buddies bought a Princeton recently, so there is going to be a shoot out at the old corral soon. Anyway, so far I'm a very happy camper! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Pulled the trigger and brought that Tone Master Deluxe Reverb home today. Plugged her in and she sounds great! I'm running her at 12 watts and holding back on the 22watt setting, reverb at 2, tremolo speed at 2 intensity at 6...First impressions are at 5 stars but I have to spend more time with her before I'll know for sure. The big plus, is that GC gave me a 20% discount which lowered the price quite a bit (i.e. $899 down to $775 including the $56 sales tax). There was a Princeton on the floor right next to my amp (which they were holding for me). Mine weighs a lot less than the Princeton when I picked them up one at a time. Two of my buddies bought a Princeton recently, so there is going to be a shoot out at the old corral soon. Anyway, so far I'm a very happy camper! :cool:

Enjoy the new gear amigo. I will still stick with tubes, however, I was just thinking I could use one of those Fender Super Champ X2 combos 2 channels #1 clean and whatever you set #2 for. It is a hybrid solid state pre amp, and tubes for the power section. I had one several years ago and have missed having it for on the road stuff. The thing had a ton of software efx and an editor for saving the edits and effect additions to the amp, and to the computer. One hand on the amp and one on the guitar 1 trip in and 1 trip out. that is my type of lugging one trip in and one trip out with lightweight gear in each hand. $399, plus twenty bucks for the pedal. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SupChampX2--fender-super-champ-x2-15-watt-1x10-inch-tube-combo-amp

Nice, will enjoy hearing more about this one.

I've got plenty of good sounding light amps with effects so probably not getting one.

As long as it took them to bring that out it is probably very well thought out.

DBM, I've switched to gigbags with shoulder straps and use a sturdy folding luggage cart with 4" wheels for my amp and goodie bag.

Leaves one arm free for opening doors and takes the load off. I travel light and easy. Cheers, Kuru

awesome!

Thanks everyone! I'm enjoying learning more about the amp. After a couple of weeks I'll post a review. So far, so good... :cool:

My only recommendation is to try the lowest wattage settig and turn the amp up.

I've found the sounds I was looking for on Roland, Boss and Peavey amps by doing that, they start to really sound like tube amps. Cheers, Kuru

@ Kuru, I tried your method and it works very good for getting that overdriven early breakup tube sound at the lowest wattage which is 0.2watts. Then I tried it at 0.5, then at 1, then at 5, then at 12, then at 22 full power. It works at all levels and sounds just like the original tube amp. You just have to increase/adjust the volume level up a little at each wattage setting if you want an overdriven sound. I cranked it all the way in a small room at full 22watts but only for a short time to avoid ear problems LOL! It sounds just like the original tube amp when played clean as well (which is what I am into). I haven't got to the Cabinet and Mic sims yet, but your method could be used to craft your sound at low volume levels before sending via the xlr to the PA, FOH, recording, etc. It has 3 mic settings: On/Off, Dynamic SM57 and R21 Studio Ribbon. I'll be playing with those too in the near future along with the mute switch which turns off the speaker. It looks just like the standby on a tube amp but really only mutes the speaker. Which can come in handy for stage volume issues.

@ Caevan, will do! I started out at 22watts in my music room and quickly went down to 12 LOL! Then I went to 5, and now I have settled on running it at 1 watt. Volume set at 4. The treble and bass setting both sound good at 5 which is halfway. The Vibrato sounds very nice at a slow setting at 2 with the intensity at 6. The Reverb is too much at 4 full surf. Any more is just overkill. I like it at 3 for surf and at 2 for normal. Both Verb and Vibrato kick in and out independently using the two button lighted footswitch. Or you can kick them in and out without using the footswitch by using the knobs. Power amp output is 100watts into 8ohms, simulating 22watt tube amp performance. 12" Noedymium Jensen N-12K speaker. Weight 23lbs!

ps. It also has a ground lift switch and balanced line output level for the xlr.

:cool:

Take care, Larryz

@ Kuru, I tried your method and it works very good for getting that overdriven early breakup tube sound at the lowest wattage which is 0.2watts. Then I tried it at 0.5, then at 1, then at 5, then at 12, then at 22 full power. It works at all levels and sounds just like the original tube amp. You just have to increase/adjust the volume level up a little at each wattage setting if you want an overdriven sound. I cranked it all the way in a small room at full 22watts but only for a short time to avoid ear problems LOL! It sounds just like the original tube amp when played clean as well (which is what I am into). I haven't got to the Cabinet and Mic sims yet, but your method could be used to craft your sound at low volume levels before sending via the xlr to the PA, FOH, recording, etc. It has 3 mic settings: On/Off, Dynamic SM57 and R21 Studio Ribbon. I'll be playing with those too in the near future along with the mute switch which turns off the speaker. It looks just like the standby on a tube amp but really only mutes the speaker. Which can come in handy for stage volume issues.

@ Caevan, will do! I started out at 22watts in my music room and quickly went down to 12 LOL! Then I went to 5, and now I have settled on running it at 1 watt. Volume set at 4. The treble and bass setting both sound good at 5 which is halfway. The Vibrato sounds very nice at a slow setting at 2 with the intensity at 6. The Reverb is too much at 4 full surf. Any more is just overkill. I like it at 3 for surf and at 2 for normal. Both Verb and Vibrato kick in and out independently using the two button lighted footswitch. Or you can kick them in and out without using the footswitch by using the knobs. Power amp output is 100watts into 8ohms, simulating 22watt tube amp performance. 12" Noedymium Jensen N-12K speaker. Weight 23lbs!

ps. It also has a ground lift switch and balanced line output level for the xlr.

:cool:

Good to hear! I learned that trick from a Peavey Studio Pro Red Stripe Transtube that had the T-Dynamics knob. It sounded too "solid state until I turned that knob and got the output section lowered. Then I could turn the master up and it started to sound very tube-ish. Did the same thing with my Boss Katana, I run it on 1/2 watt all the time now. The Line Out is 1/4" but has a speaker sim. I plug it into a Whirlwind IMP2 direct box, get a little of that transformer sound too and it sounds great through the PA. The Katana has a speaker switch also, I shut the speaker off and the monitors sounded great. Mostly, we all prefer me using the speaker and not running the guitar in the monitors. The drummer and bassist keep their volume low and it is a huge relief to play with volume-concious people.

So yes, that is a good way to get a bit more of a tube tone without blowing your ears out. I've done more than enough damage already, something about Mesa halfstacks with JBL and EV speakers in the 4-12 cab and other abuse. Cheers, Kuru

@ Kuru, +1 on protecting those ears too! :thu:

@ Alamo, It may not sound better than the original but sounding just as good at half the weight really appealed to me. The original weighs 42lbs and this one weighs 23lbs. It's also 10lbs. lighter than the Princeton. I have a bad back and amp weight is very important to me. Getting a tube amp sound out of an SS amp is going to be a win win for Fender. :cool:

Take care, Larryz

@ Kuru, +1 on protecting those ears too! :thu:

@ Alamo, It may not sound better than the original but sounding just as good at half the weight really appealed to me. The original weighs 42lbs and this one weighs 23lbs. It's also 10lbs. lighter than the Princeton. I have a bad back and amp weight is very important to me. Getting a tube amp sound out of an SS amp is going to be a win win for Fender. :cool:

Plus it will always sound the same and you will never turn it on and hear... nothing because a tube failed. That has happened to me 1 too many times.

I love my light, reliable, versatile amps! I want to try one of these new Fenders but it's not in the budget to own one (yet).

@Larryz - Glad you're enjoying the new Amp, brother!, It's always nice when a new purchase really delivers for you.

@KuruPrionz - My favorite trick with Peavey Amps was to dime out the Pre Gain, then slowly bring up the Post Gain, until I got a reasonable volume with crushing Distortion. Lots of fun!

Right now, there's a U.S.-made "Silver Stripe" Peavey Studio Pro 112 at my next nearest GC for $90!?!?! If I didn't already have a "Red Stripe", and that Laney SS I just bought, I'd be tempted.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

I had a Silver Stripe Studio Pro, gone and never missed. Your Red Stripe is much better, had one of those too and I do miss that one but not enough to get another unless it's a steal.

I've done the cranked Pre thing. I prefer trying to get the tone that a small tube amp gets when pushed. Touch sensitive "singing" tone. That works much better in the context of my current situation - Rock, Country, Blues, Folk Rock, etc.

I had a run of good luck and ended up with 3 "new" amps. I am learning how to use them. I've got a handle on the Roland Cube 40gx, love it. 20 pounds, full, fat tones and versatile enough for gigging. The line out shuts off the speaker so it needs mic'd, only shortcoming. I've done a couple of gigs with one of the newer Peavey Envoy amps, I have to say that Transtube 3 is even better than Transtube 2 (Red Stripe). I made a new baffle board and stuck a Peavey Scorpion 12 in that one. 28 pounds, 40 watts and a 12" diecast speaker. The speaker emulated line out is excellent, does not need to be mic'd. LOVE the Boost option, I can boost both Clean and Dirty. 2 button footswitch, simple.

Last but not least, I am going to make a baffle for a Peavey Vypyr VIP 1 and put a 10" Weber NeoMag in there. I have both Sanpera pedals (and a VIP 3) so this may replace my Red Stripe TransTube 258 EFX as it offers much more flexibiltiy while being just a bit larger. It will take a while to suss it out, too many options!!!

But, we are hear to learn about Larry's new amp!!!! I've always loved Fenders and this one sounds like a real goodie!

@ Winston, Thanks! I took it out yesterday and played it with a bud who has a Princeton (he also plays his clean). Mine sounded really sweet and you couldn't tell that mine wasn't a tube amp... :cool:

@ Kuru, I really think the price on this amp will come down next year after the newness wears off and a few used ones start showing up. I appreciate your comments and WPS's on the other amps too, but I'm pretty sure you would love this "light" one. +1 on not having to worry about tubes going bad anymore... :cool:

Take care, Larryz

@ Winston, Thanks! I took it out yesterday and played it with a bud who has a Princeton (he also plays his clean). Mine sounded really sweet and you couldn't tell that mine wasn't a tube amp... :cool:

@ Kuru, I really think the price on this amp will come down next year after the newness wears off and a few used ones start showing up. I appreciate your comments and WPS's on the other amps too, but I'm pretty sure you would love this "light" one. +1 on not having to worry about tubes going bad anymore... :cool:

There is no doubt in my mind. We wil get one here at Guitar Center before too long and I'll give it a spin.

Sure wish we had cool stuff like this when I was younger. Mesa Boogies are HEAVY, so was my Peavey LA400 and I had to use distortion pedals because the built in distortion was horrible.

Keep us posted as you learn more about your new amp!

Yes larry and I noticed a couple months ago 3/4 plywood sheets must be made heavier too. Ha ha. Jim

I know for sure they're making 10 pound dumb bells heavier than they used to. And they've made one mile walks a lot longer than they used to be too.

Plus all food has 3 times as many calories!

OK, a couple of little design flaws to point out having to do with the cabinet. Nothing to really worry about though:

1. When plugging in the elbow foot switch cord, the cabinet can get in the way. If you are not using the xlr-out, you can angle the elbow jack in front and block it. When using the xlr-out you can angle the elbow jack to the other side in a little corner space. Or, you can buy a new 1/4'' cord with a straight end or solder one on. No biggie as it works fine as is. Fender could also have cut the cabinet and left a little space so the cord would plug in easier and hang down.

2. back to the xlr out. It works fine plugging in the mic cord. The problem is unplugging it LOL! The release lock is very close to the top of the cabinet and it's hard to get a finger or thumb in there to push the release so you can pull it out easily. Fender could have turned the output upside down or to one side so that the release could be easily worked. If your FOH sound guys have fat thumbs, they will complain LOL! No big deal as skinny thumbs with a little sideways practice does the trick. You could also push on it with a stick or the flat side of a needle nose...

3. There is a hard to find USB Port plug under the chassis...if you didn't have a manual, you would never know it's there or where to look. Once you locate it, you could mark the location it by using a black marker pen...

That's it for complaints (and I'm really not complaining).

The xlr power adjustment and the 3 mic settings all are working fine. I don't hear a lot of difference on my little test using my amp/pa but on a big system or when recording, those with better ears probably will. Even though the mute switch is on for the amp speaker and the mic setting is on off, the cord is still live so you will want to shut off the amp before disconnecting from a live PA or have the soundman mute your channel. I have no buzz with my equipment all hooked up, so I could not tell if the ground lift was doing anything, but I suspect it will work fine if a buzz problem should come up some day.

Anyway, that's my update... :cool:

Take care, Larryz