Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

World Music virtual instrument

Hi,

I'm looking for good world music sounds, especially Indian and Middle Eastern instruments - anyone got a recommendation please?

I only know of Motu's Ethno Instrument, but its a decade old now...

Thanks

Darren

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

NI's Discovery Series is mostly great. I don't have time for a thorough run-down right now though as I'm heading to a five hour gig in half an hour. The best sounds will be in dedicate single-instrument libraries, but you've already seen the list of the best LARGE catch-alls. If going for smaller collections that aren't single-instrument, NI Discovery Series is pretty good for what it covers, and there's some stuff here and there such as Spitfire's kitbags (mostly world winds) that require full Kontakt edition. And of course Tarilonte's amazing libraries for Engine, which is a free player.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I can't figure out what happened to my additional comments, and I can't edit the previous post anymore, but I just wanted to add that the NI Discovery Series is for the most part very authentic to proper playing techniques and idioms, so it's a great learning tool. Download the user manuals even if you don't buy the products! I've started phasing out the ancient Sitar Nation in favour of NI Discovery Series India as it is more authentic overall.

Tarilonte's libraries are on two-for-one sale at the moment (Best Service), and are well worth every penny. If budget is tight, pick a region of most interest and start there. For many people, that means Ancient Era Persia, which really is a bit more Turkey-centric than Iran-oriented. That covers a lot of widely-used instruments and is by far best-in-class.

If you really must start with a catch-all, Ethno World and UVI World have different strengths. So it depends on your needs. Much of UVI World comes from precisionsound's libraries, as of the latest update. Ethno World has had six revisions by now, and each one adds more deeply-sampled fare than the one before. Garritan World is only good for its user manual; very educational.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

This is the Tarilonte two-for-one I was talking about:

https://audioplugin.deals/deal-1/

That's an excellent price. Epic World still has its uses as a lot of those instruments aren't yet part of newer, more focused and specialized collections. And Desert Winds is my top VI, period.

ONLY TEN HOURS TO GO ON THIS CURRENT DEAL!