Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Steinberg Baits us to learn Dorico with Free Version

https://new.steinberg.net/dorico/se/

⢠Dorico SE is free to download and use, allows projects with up to two players, and is ideal for beginning composers and arrangers.

Dorico SE brings a number of unique capabilities to free music notation software for the first time, particularly in the area of sound and playback, including:

⢠Sequencer-style Play mode, complete with piano roll editor, velocity editor, automation lanes for MIDI controllers, and a unique new dynamics lane that allows tweaking of the playback effect of dynamic markings written in the score.

⢠Support for all VST 3 instrument and effect plug-ins, in addition to the included HALion Sonic SE 3 sampler with more than 1,000 production-ready sounds, and a suite of 30 effects plug-ins.

⢠A full audio Mixer, with sends and inserts for effects, and a global effects channel.

⢠The same award-winning, high-precision audio engine found in Steinberg"s leading digital audio workstation, Cubase.

⢠Easy export of audio files in MP3 and WAV format.

Sign in or create your Steinberg ID to receive your personal activation code.

Registration

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very cool, thanks for posting this. I just finished installing it and it works great. You're allowed two instruments or voices so if you're scoring an ensemble you'll need the full version. My use for notation is for charts for bandmates so I'll see how well this works vs other programs I have like Musescore. Otherwise, it has everything described and no restrictions at all that I can see. It is it's own stand alone program. I had to agree to receive their newsletter and I'm sure I'll get some friendly reminders to upgrade to the full version but that's ok, I don't mind receiving stuff like that from the majors anyway.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

Can you notate chords, or just two monophonic instruments?

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden

Here's a vid that introduces Dorico SE and how to get started, it should answer some questions. It appears this was just released today and there are 4 other vids up right now.

[video:youtube]

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

Steinberg Bates us to learn Dorico with Free Version

The word is bait, as in Steinberg Baits us....... Unless of course you mean they got Anthony Perkins to announce this from a hotel

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

:) I haven't been fishing in years!

but, my kid is just about the age for a drive to the lake. might be time to grab an old coffee can and dig around the yard for some bait!

HA! Yeah It just stood out to me for some reason. Of course my twisted mind went directly to "Psycho" :)

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

:) I haven't been fishing in years!

but, my kid is just about the age for a drive to the lake. might be time to grab an old coffee can and dig around the yard for some bait!

HA! Yeah It just stood out to me for some reason. Of course my twisted mind went directly to "Psycho" :)

:cheers:

Say no more. I am a fan of grammar and spelling and don't mind correction in the least.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

If I'm understanding correctly, it will only do two instruments, right? For me, that's a deal-killer. Back to MuseScore.

Grey

That"s just the demo version.

I bought the full version recently and it"s so much better than Finale, which I"ve used for 20 years.

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

If I'm understanding correctly, it will only do two instruments, right? For me, that's a deal-killer. Back to MuseScore.

Grey

That's for the free, unlimited time version, Dorico SE.

Dorico Elements and Dorico Pro have 12 and unlimited instruments (or possibly players?) respectively, and there are also 30-day free trial versions of those.

https://new.steinberg.net/dorico/compare-editions/

MuseScore is full featured and free forever. But it's unpolished in a few areas where a professional, commercial product has space to shine.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

Some folks seem to be missing my point. I'm trying to compare apples to apples, price-wise. I have yet to run out of instruments in MuseScore and it's free.

MuseScore may not be perfect--it doesn't seem to export MIDI files cleanly, for instance (or didn't, the last time I tried [older version])--but it does a pretty good job for my needs and I can't complain about the price.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

Well, you never made the point that you think people missed.

There's a 30-day demo of Dorico available. From what I've seen on the facebook group, they're pretty good about extending the demo period if someone can justify it. The full version of Dorico isn't cheap, even with a competitive crossgrade; and the Elements version has limitations in both the number of instruments in a piece as well as the layout options (there's no Engraver mode, where you do all the fine tuning), so if your older version of MuseScore pretty much does the job, maybe you should see if a newer version does better. But in my experience in using Musescore (as well as Notion, and the entry level version of Finale and Sibelius), you can only compare apples to apples so much, because MuseScore, while great for the price, is very much a Pontiac Aztec to Dorico's [fill in your favorite European luxury car here].