Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg DX7 Clone? What is Nautilus?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The panel looks well-supplied with silkscreened operator configurations like the DX7. Six ops seems stingy in 2020 terms, but not if the waveform selection is far heartier than what we've seen in the past. What I can see makes the display's small size a bit dubious for FM, but its all in the implementation. It could also be a Photofake. I'd have to hear more to understand why it has five octaves when so many are opting for three or four. That would help rinse the scent of troll from it. :/

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

Isn"t Kronos tech already in the GrandStage and Vox Continental?

I was thinking more along the lines of Mod-7, AL-1, Polysix, and STR-1 physical modeling keyboards or modules.

I don't know about the rest of it. I don't have a Kronos, and don't normally follow Korg's doings too much.

The FM keyboard in your first post looks good. Could be along the lines of a Mod-7 type keyboard.

I just can't understand the appeal of a HARDWARE FM keyboard in 2020. At the very least it should have a very big robust touch screen to accommodate all the ops and routings. DX7 was an absolute bastard to program. NI FM8 starts to become much more manageable with a full computer interface. Then again, I see little appeal in digital hardware boards at all, being a VI zealot, but particularly FM.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

Maybe this is Nautilus? Looks shiny like the mystery keyboard under the wrap too.

FFFB8-F9-F-FBA3-479-B-838-D-E331800-E2-D3-C.png

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

You can see the opsix and mystery keyboards at the end of this video. Korg is now calling the glass wall the 'prototype wall' as per Instagram.

[video:youtube]

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Sheesh, I mean - OK prototype wall. But why were they hyping prototypes that are empty shells with instagram click bait?

It's not like their offerings are that weak this year comparatively... there's a new Fantom... but no new Montage, Stage 3, or Forte.

$3900 2600 is going to have a limited run, but it's pretty cool if you can afford it.

SV2 - ok not "new", but a user feedback driven upgrade to a successful model.

Wavestate - ok, not so much new as a throw back. But not bad... 1Gb wave memory, 64 poly 4 part and about 10000 memory performance locations, vector synth, sequencing $799. If they do a 61k semi weight action model and up the poly for $1299 that might raise some interest around here.

i3, EK-50, XE-20

Maybe they are trying to figure out where they go from Kronos as well....

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I think they're trying to figure out where keyboards fit in with the current music environment. It's pretty late in the day, if there was something new that would interest us it would be all over this forum by now.

Watching that vid makes my feet hurt but I did see a rack of Keytars!

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

Lots of guessing. First of all, Korg makes non keyboard products. Nautilus could be a tuner or an Fx unit.

Or maybe its a work out device and a keyboard. I think demanding a 16 pound 88 keyboard suggests that

muscle development is over due. ;)

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

In 1987 Yamaha bought a controlling interest (51%) in Korg.

But that arrangement ended some time back.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

In 1987 Yamaha bought a controlling interest (51%) in Korg.

But that arrangement ended some time back.

Exactly - "After 5 successful years, Kato had sufficient funds to repurchase most of the Yamaha share in 1993."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korg#History

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

Yep, that be a platinum Kronos.

Sigh...oh well, it"s my favorite color variation I"ve seen with those end cheeks. Kind of like the Trinity or Triton but nicer. I actually like the limited edition red one but not as much as this. Nice for dark stages!

. Nice for dark stages!

Yes. And Korg does this kind of thing a lot, but frustratingly it seems, never on the boards I'm looking for. Would have loved the idea of a non-black stage-friendly Kronos, but they don't do it in a 61, the only Kronos I'd find light enough to gig with in the first place. (I assume the platinum is only on the 88, which is how they've done it before.) They did non-black options on the M50, but only on the 61, and in that case, I was only interested in the 73...

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

. Nice for dark stages!

Yes. And Korg does this kind of thing a lot, but frustratingly it seems, never on the boards I'm looking for. Would have loved the idea of a non-black stage-friendly Kronos, but they don't do it in a 61, the only Kronos I'd find light enough to gig with in the first place. (I assume the platinum is only on the 88, which is how they've done it before.) They did non-black options on the M50, but only on the 61, and in that case, I was only interested in the 73...

If you look at my screenshots on the "new kronos and korg booth" thread, there was/is a 61 on display next to the 88.

If you look at my screenshots on the "new kronos and korg booth" thread, there was/is a 61 on display next to the 88.

A platinum 61? Cool! Wish they'd had that sooner. These days, I'm not using my Kronos enough to justify trading up. These days, the Korg I most use is the PA1000.