Music Player Network
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Not gigging January and February and I’m not missing it #3024278 01/18/20 01:11 AM
CEB Offline OP
10k Club
OP Offline
10k Club
Hmmm. I hope I want to play again by March.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt
GP Island
Re: Not gigging January and February and I’m not missing it [Re: CEB] #3024287 01/18/20 01:43 AM
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I never liked live performance in clubs, but when I did that, it was always after my day job which paid more in half a day than what we were getting for both Friday and Saturday nights in the local clubs. After a hard day laying brick all day, it was just tiresome, and felt like a "JOB".

dbm
If it sounds good, it is good !!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=143231&content=music
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick
Re: Not gigging January and February and I’m not missing it [Re: CEB] #3024335 01/18/20 10:39 AM
CEB Offline OP
10k Club
OP Offline
10k Club
The last two years I’ve declined physically. The people I play for can tell and are providing a roadie but just being on my feet with this neuropathy is getting hard. I’m down to my last child in college. She graduates in 2022. I can see the finish line. I’m surprised I get calls at my age but I guess keyboardist are hard to find. All my co workers are my kid’s age.

Last edited by CEB; 01/18/20 10:42 AM.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt
Re: Not gigging January and February and I’m not missing it [Re: CEB] #3024349 01/18/20 01:23 PM
W
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
W
@CEB - My sympathies and regrets, brother. One of my close friends in the local EM scene suffers from diabetic neuropathy, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com
Re: Not gigging January and February and I’m not missing it [Re: CEB] #3024370 01/18/20 03:52 PM
Larryz Offline
10k Club
10k Club
I'm a type 2 CEB and so far I have dodged the neuropathy bullet. I just turned 70 and stopped gigging long ago for the most part due to the handling of equipment, low pay, band issues, etc. I still do an open mic now and then. It's tough to get old but we make the best of it. Guitar players are a dime a dozen and since I'm not up there with the pros and studio players, I also played keyboards for awhile. +1 I had a lot more jobs back when I played keys as keyboard players are harder to come by.

I haven't played keys for a long time now and have spent my time on the guitar as my 1st love for many years and don't miss the keys. I still have an 88 key Kurzweil stage piano that I intend to bring out again some day if my guitar fingers give out on me.

Anyway, size down, get a nice chair, enjoy those roadies, and keep at it as long as you can with those young'uns! If it's still fun, do it! I never regretted the time on stage and found it rewarding. Wishing you all the best with the Beaties issues! thu

Take care, Larryz
Re: Not gigging January and February and I’m not missing it [Re: CEB] #3024430 01/18/20 09:15 PM
Music With Marky Offline
Originally Posted by CEB
Hmmm. I hope I want to play again by March.

I've always enjoyed the studio and creating more than gigging. Maybe if I had roadies to carry all my gear on stage, I might enjoy it more. lol

Music With Marky - A YouTube Channel For Guitarists Who Want To Make Better Music
Re: Not gigging January and February and I’m not missing it [Re: CEB] #3025488 01/24/20 10:32 AM
S
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
S
I know what you mean CEB. It started getting to me last year. Not a physical thing so much but, the accumulated life bs just got me down.
I`m still performing but, the solo acoustic thing-it`s okay but I never wanted it to be the ONLY thing. I just didn`t feel motivated.
I still don`t. I would love to get back to the studio. I have a song that got off the a great start last year. Then the issues happened.
But I don`t know when I`ll be at an open mic again. Not for a few months at least.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491
Re: Not gigging January and February and I’m not missing it [Re: CEB] #3025569 01/24/20 06:45 PM
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I feel you, CEB... turns out I have flat feet and never knew it, I have Morton's Toe, where the second toe is longer than the big toe which throws my entire body a little mechanically off and causes problems on up the legs and back as a lifetime progresses, and then I suffer from Plantar Fasciitis, a condition where the muscle than runs from the top of your skull to down under both your feet contracts and suffers micro-tears at your heel. The combination of the 3 have been very painful this last couple of years and the Plantar Fasciitis is aggravated by time spent riding in a car or van to gigs and back... and of course when walking is a pain and running has become impossible I tend to gain weight, which makes all of it worse. I just ignore it through the gigs and then limp around offstage afterwards... my wife keeps telling me that I'm not old enough to be hobbled when we take trips and I can't stand for longer than a few minutes, but she has no idea how painful this is...

Last edited by p90jr; 01/24/20 06:53 PM.