Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

HX3 MIDI expander module

TKN

Okay, so I downloaded the correct file this time, Flash_ExpanderPlexi_mk3_4.zip -- much better experience, everything went smoothly. Completed with a message that the update was successful.

But I then spent about an hour trying to get sound out of it. I had hooked up a mono lead to Output A and was getting no sound. Checked all my cables, tried with different keyboards, etc. etc. I could tell the MIDI was working, because the drawbars on the controller were altering the drawbar settings o the front panel. But... silence. Then, on a lark, I tried Output B. Eureka, I had sound! No rotary effect, though. Okay, time to start looking through docs. A-ha! Somehow, the Update procedure set the Outputs to "BPed / Organ" - which sets output A to bass pedals (hence, no sound, since I wasn't playing bass pedals) and output B to organ with no rotary. Changing this setting to Rotary L/R got my regular stereo out working again. Unlikely as it might have been I wondered if there was any way I could somehow have accidentally changed this parameter, so I rebooted the unit... and it was back to "BPed / Organ" - So it must have been the update procedure that messed this up. It would be hard enough to believe I could have somehow accidentally changed this setting, but to then accidentally compound that with another accidental procedure to SAVE the setting so that it would be the default at next powerup? I don't think so.

So to anyone who updates and then seems to have no sound, or just a no-rotary sound out of just one output, don't panic. ;-) Check the output routing.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

IIRC, Scott, this was always the case when doing updates on the HX3 module, not just the current update.

You'd think that would be worth noting in the update docs! I certainly didn't expect to have sound before the update and no sound afterwards.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

A Quantum Leap in HX3.5 (ROTARY SIM; PRESETS; Vibrato / Chorus; EASE OF UPGRADES; Phased Rotor) is going on right now.

As a home keyboard hobbyist, I have spent much of my life yearning for authentic, inspirational upgrades which, by sounding genuine, would inspire me to improve my playing. I have tweaked & adjusted endlessly: An amazing accordion and clarinet sound from the VFX (ported into the TS-10). A Rhodes wannabe cobbled from several presets in the JV-1080; and many, many, many others. Lately, the Genius of the Gemini and Dexibell Racks have added REALISM to my acoustic and electric piano, keyboard and organ armamentarium; and my playing has continued to change for the better.

Unlike some of you, I"ve had no space, discretionary money or time to shackle to the 400 lb. beasts which are the HIGH-MAINTENANCE Hammonds and their Leslie sidekicks. Like the far-flung intrepid citizens in Isaac Asimov"s FOUNDATION at the edges of the Galaxy in the distant future, where $$ and resources (like metal, energy) were scarce, I am always looking for a thrifty, LIGHTWEIGHT solution for my music, like a 15 lb. 88-key, semi-weighted keyboard w aftertouch (Yup. Got that covered).

Enter the 2 lb. HX3, which I owned for the past 4 years: It has been ALMOST there. The creator is clearly a genius, with vast talent as an engineer and computer coder. He has GOLDEN EARS, knows what sounds right and how to physically model it. He has been passionate and relentless in his pursuit of the ultimate Clonewheel (and now OTHER electromagnetic) organ collection. He has patiently and quietly continued his quest for Ultimate Electromagnetic Nirvana.

Despite the almost-there realism and the terrific companion drawbar controller (another 2 lbs.), even after the HX3.5 upgrade last year, I wasn"t hooked. I played around with the new H100 / Wersi / Bohm menu (deep and a bit intimidating); and there were only 15 PRESETS to save your work. The Leslie SIM was OKAY.

No more. As of the past month, with the 5.519 (and now 5.524 & 5.527) updates, several important things have changed: 1) The Rotor Sim is stunningly, CRAZY-real. If I understand it correctly, your Rotor Sim is not LOCKED IN as ONE, single default for ALL of your sounds, so you can have DIFFERING rotor speeds, ramp-ups-and-downs, microphone distance ('throb'), stereo separation FOR EACH AND EVERY PRESET. 2) The Vibrato / Chorus SIZZLES. I am not a V/C afficionado, but EVEN I can hear the difference now with the ROTOR FAST with and without V3/Chorus. AMAZING! LX-88 has to hear the new V/C, and I believe he will be stunned and validated by the improvements. 3) I have not yet tried the Wersi Phased Rotor, which can run unleashed from or SYNCRONIZED WITH the Rotor sim.

Finally, 4) There are 99 PRESETS to store all of your work. This means you can keep a large collection (far more than the 12 ? 16? Black-on-white FACTORY PRESETS on your Console) of standard, rock, gospel, and organs of the 70s and 80s. AND 5) The computer pathway to a FIRMWARE UPGRADE has become an all-in-one, one-step automated process. BRAVO ! WINDOWS 10 ONLY, I suggest you use your USB 2.0 computer port if available. I am not wasting any time on the pathetic GM soundset.

I would like if we HX3.5 v. 5.527 users can pool our talents and make a collection of presets to share. The factory-default presets are pretty-much EMPTY except for some (15) drawbar settings only.

Congratulations to Carsten Meyer and his faithful support staff, Christian Persson; and HappyFreddy on the Keyboard Partner forum, for this breathtaking new HX3.5 miracle.

As can be seen from my post at the end of page 48 of this thread, I wholeheartedly agree with MIDI Rack-Man!!

The latest version (5.527 beta) is the absolute bomb!!

I recommend loading the nonGM version as I suspect many of you will prefer the extra reverbs over the, at best, average GM sounds...

I don't have the extended license so can't comment on the Wersi/Böhm/etc. organs.

But... Carsten's Hammond/Leslie emulation is, to my ears, the best you can get and is a stunning piece of work and an absolute bargain.

Your back will love you for it too!! :)

I guess I can check the prices on the Keyboard Partner website for all these updates. However, last time I checked I didn't see any of this.

So I will ask again. If I wanted to update my HX3 how much does it cost????

And is it really worth it //// ???

Hardware Upgrades are offered on this page: https://shop.keyboardpartner.de/epages/13705466.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/13705466/Categories/Category1/Hardware_Upgrades

Prices include German VAT, so US customers can subtract 19%. That makes it 300.84 Euros for an HX3 MIDI Expander upgrade including the new 3.5 mainboard and a 3.5 backpanel. Return shipment is free for Diversi customers. Please read the instructions on diversi.us.

Is it worth it? I can't tell cause that depends on how much you value a higher degree of perfection.

Hi, LX88.

My update included an introductory price reduction on the Extended License, the total upgrade for just under $300.00 (USD) . With apologies to Mr. E. Hob from Across the Pond, I am enjoying all of the Extended License goodies, though I have so far only scratched the surface.

Each of us has to decide on the value of an upgrade for one's individual rig. This was one of the MOST WORTHWHILE upgrades EVER for me, made the HX3 come alive.

ACHTUNG: Some Windows 10 skills would come in useful, like Backing Up your hard-won Presets and Configurations. Also, you have to send the HX3 to Germany though RETURN SHIPPING is free.

Is it worth it? I can't tell cause that depends on how much you value a higher degree of perfection.

I´d appreciate actual audio demos of the upgraded organ and leslie-sim engine on keyboardpartner´s website.

All I see is old, even UHL, which are X4 since some time.

I also wonder why the original HX3 drawbar controller for the HX3 Expander is not available anymore.

Now, when the C/V, overdrive and rotary sim are on par or better than Neo Vent,- I´d be in the market for the expander/ drawbar controller combo, but not being interested in the desktop module.

A.C.

Hi folks,

Becuase of the new HX3.5 CaM Rotor update I did a small

Leslie Sim âshoot out' at the german keyboard forum (musiker board) just before Christmas.....

In no particular order: (HX3.5/XK5/B3X/Vent)

HX3.5 FW5.301 InternalSim

HX3.5 FW5.524 "CaM Rotor"

HX3.5 FW5.524 Ventilator 1

Ik Multimedia B3X

XK5 B3-TonewheelSet with internal Sim

XK5 C3-TonewheelSet MG-Set Internal Sim

XK5 C3-TonewheelSet MG-Set Ventilator 1

Here are the soundcloud files:

Have a listen!

I will post the solution later.....

(or you find it here:

https://www.musiker-board.de/threads/markus-kleiner-clonewheel-lesliesim-shootout-hx3-5-xk5-b3x-vent.702385/

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

That's a nice shootout, thanks. Couldn't resist looking at the right answers though ... the CaM Rotor is definitely an improvement over the old one, kind of brings it up to Ventilator level. :o

Not surprisingly the standout is the IK one. I've been using IK's Amplitube Leslie for a couple of weeks and really like it. By far the most realistic model so far.

I am not seeing an upgrade from HX3 to HX3.5 on Keyboard Partner com Where is it?

Is there a significant improvement in the CV ?

I thought the leslie sim on HX3 was in line with most of what is out there . I definitely thought it was better than the Mojo before their most recent upgrade. Overall I still prefer the Viscount Legend sim.

The HX3 leslie sim that I have tapers the percussion volume too much for my taste. The percussion with the CV setting is all right though, which is most of what I use it for.

My basic HX3 use at this time is for practicing arrangements, not so much for soloing or gigging. For that purpose the HX3 is very nice, very sweet and warm. Especially for anything with second harmonic percussion, no problem.

I don't think they got as close as Elvio's Key B - even the original one- for the third harmonic jazz stuff. One of the ultimate examples of a recorded Key B is the Joey DeFrancesco / David Sanborn gig on Youtube from about 10 years ago. That is one of the best examples of an effective clone , and it is from that far back. Nothing Hammond Suzuki had could touch it, as much as the Hammond Suzuki lovers could argue.

I still haven't heard a recorded example of the HX3 that comes close to it either. I did use my HX3 for gigging, but something would happen and I could not get it to work as well through a speaker system as I could with the Legend Live. That goes for the Mojo too.

I would possibly give an upgraded HX3 or HX3.5 a chance for another 300 bucks. But for god's sake get it right this time!

I am not seeing an upgrade from HX3 to HX3.5 on Keyboard Partner com Where is it?

https://shop.keyboardpartner.de/epages/13705466.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/13705466/Categories/Category1/Hardware_Upgrades

Is there a significant improvement in the CV ?

I think so.

I still haven't heard a recorded example of the HX3 that comes close to it either.

Pls send a MIDI file and instructions about which settings you'd like to hear. I'll record it and post it here. You'll get my mail address via P.M.

Hi folks,

Becuase of the new HX3.5 CaM Rotor update I did a small

Leslie Sim âshoot out' at the german keyboard forum (musiker board) just before Christmas.....

In no particular order: (HX3.5/XK5/B3X/Vent)

HX3.5 FW5.301 InternalSim

HX3.5 FW5.524 "CaM Rotor"

HX3.5 FW5.524 Ventilator 1

Ik Multimedia B3X

XK5 B3-TonewheelSet with internal Sim

XK5 C3-TonewheelSet MG-Set Internal Sim

XK5 C3-TonewheelSet MG-Set Ventilator 1

Here are the soundcloud files:

Have a listen!

I will post the solution later.....

(or you find it here:

https://www.musiker-board.de/threads/markus-kleiner-clonewheel-lesliesim-shootout-hx3-5-xk5-b3x-vent.702385/

Updated now to the new release 5.528 and added another file:

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

Thanks to KPB Christian.....

As stated MANY times (too many I am sure ) the ONLY issue I have with the HX3 is the amount of " throb " in the upper register starting on high A/Bb/ B and C. This is where I lose the " purr" of the chorus vibrato... compared to a real tonewheel Hammond, or compared to Key B or Mojo.

Also - all or most of the editing parameters just seem to be part of the problem and not part of the solution.

The good thing for me about the HX3 has been that I can use it with different controllers. I have a older Casio right now that allows me to hear the HX3 through the MIC input this Casio has. No need for an external amp.

Another thing about HX3. I have come to love the warmth of the organ tone it has.The tone compares favorably to my real Hammond. In fact through headphones I really love the HX3 ( I have a headphone out on my B-3) I can A/B the HX3 through the RCA jack on the B-3 preamp. The HX3 tone holds up well to the " real deal"

However the A/B process reveals a difference in the upper register. I don't see how they could have missed this .Most notably on 888000000 setting.

Perhaps HX3.5

addresses this.

BTW - will Diversi be involved in possibly offering the upgrade?

Hi LX88,

CaM Rotor is not like the HX3 mk4. Leslie and CV have been redesigned from scratch.

I would like to encourage you again to send a MIDI file together with instructions about the desired settings. This way we can make sure that you can listen to exactly what you are interested in.

Because you put so much emphasis on CV, I would be interested in your evaluation.

I am so technically challenged that I am afraid I probably don't have the means to send a midi file.

My issues with the CV possibly have something to do with the combination of harmonics in the upper register. Because I do not have issues with 808000000 settings.

But as I said.... the Mojo and Legend Live and some others don't seem to have these same throb issues.

I do a lot of practicing with 808000000 lately... lower manual type settings, some times with second harmonic percussion.

I have come to enjoy the HX3 more - not less - over time. What a handy tool.

It's a great add on to any board to help create a one board solution. Just add the module and use presets !

Wish I could help with the midi file.BTW....is Diversi capable of doing the 3.5 upgrade? We haven't heard much from Tom lately.....

Abel Boquera has posted an
, on his Youtube channel. I thought some of you might be interested.

Thank you,- nice video.

I already asked before because I´m interested in the latest version of HX3 expander and not in the desktop variant just because I want to have the HX3 expander in the rack and only a small controller on my keys ...

Where is the HX3 remote drawbar controller in the shop ?

I didn´t visit keyboardpartner website for some time and now it disappeared.

Is it discontinued or do we see another revision soon ?

When it´s discontinued forever ...

Is HX3 expander controllable by other clone´s drawbars, switches and pedals,- p.ex. Viscount Legend Solo ?

I know it´s controllable externally in general, but I wanna know which organ clones, offering the haptics, control it "out of the box" using in HX3 embedded control templates.

A.C.

The HX3 Drawbar Controller is out of stock. Carsten is thinking about a new design with 12 drawbars, but he has not yet had time to start. so it could take many weeks.

On the HX3 MIDI Expander there are several CC sets available. In the KeyboardPartner forum, a user reports that the CC set "KeyB/Duo" fits for his Viscount Legend Live for the most part (forum post, unfortunately in German, but Google or Deepl.com can translate that). I would expect the MIDI implementation to be the same, but I do not know.

For other keyboards pls compare the HX3 MIDI Implementation.

The HX3 Drawbar Controller is out of stock. Carsten is thinking about a new design with 12 drawbars, but he has not yet had time to start. so it could take many weeks.

On the HX3 MIDI Expander there are several CC sets available. In the KeyboardPartner forum, a user reports that the CC set "KeyB/Duo" fits for his Viscount Legend Live for the most part (forum post, unfortunately in German, but Google or Deepl.com can translate that). I would expect the MIDI implementation to be the same, but I do not know.

For other keyboards pls compare the HX3 MIDI Implementation.

Thank you !

I can wait for a drawbar remote controller revision and use my Kurz PC361 for the time being.

Asked for the Viscount in case of buying a cheap clone for the haptics and get a different sound option in addition.

I´ll go and follow your link above ...

I speak german perfectly.

:-)

A.C.

KBP Christian

Where is this demo of the 3.5 that you mention above?

Also... I finally figured out that " KBP" must relate to Keyboard Partner. I have definitely seen that website and would like to participate in the forum ( possibly) but a lot of it is in German.

Originally when I got my HX3, I chose it over the Crumar Mojo. Price did have something to do with it, but I was very frustrated with the Mojo leslie sim andf also the wifi editor. Plus it wasn't really giving me what I wanted to hear in the jazz department so I held out for the Legend Live for that.

I did think the HX3 was the best for a rock organ type sound. I got really good results with the overdrive on the Hx3, and I was able to dial in the leslie sim so that it colored the percussion less than the Mojo.

Plus I am able to use the HX3 with a variety of controllers.

So for the rock thing ( which is most of what I get paid for ) the HX3 was at the top of my list.

So lets see if this 3.5 update gets it for jazz organ. This has just been my opinion but I still find the Key B sample is hard to beat for jazz. People say Joey DeFrancesco can make anything sound great but still....his Key B rig sounds killer! I haven't heard anything that comes out of Germany touch it yet in that respect. But I am hoping that I do.

So ... where are these demos ?