Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New KORG SV2??

I definitely want to try the speakers but I doubt I'll dig them more than my headphones for personal practice and such. I also despise white keyboards. I'm curious if they're going to eventually offer limited color options with red and black keys like they did with the SV1.

Not ideal, but it looks like an easy paint job if you want speakers and a black board. Silly of Korg to not offer that option. Who wants a white board??

;)

Better than a red one. Oh!!!!

:)

True. Hated my red NE3 when I originally bought it. Now I'm so used to so many bands having a Nord, I actually expect and like red. I assume one would get used to white too. But again, it looks like an easy paint job.

I want one with speakers. Gonna pre-order...

Not much of an update.

...though probably the biggest complaints people had were that it was weak on pianos, had few locations to store your own patches, and didn't really split/layer... all addressed. The only big one I'm aware of that's still there is that it's shape makes it awkward to handle and awkward to stack. OTOH, some people love its visual appeal. I guess you could say action too, but Korg simply doesn't make any better action... and if they come out with one, I would not be surprised if its dimensions differed enough such that it could not be retrofitted into existing housings.

It does feel like an SV1 "EX", "plus", "v.20", "now with speakers". But that's not necessarily a bad thing. I couldn't care less about built-in speakers, but if it's attractive to others, then that's cool.

Cheers, Mike.

I want to watch ProfD play one because he has an SV-1.

Yo Gov, been a minute mayne. :wave:

I'm stiil a huge proponent of the SV-1. Hopefully, the SV-2 includes the same sounds.

The SV-2 demo I heard sounded like Kronos-lite aka Grandstage. :D

The splits, layers, updated pianos and more favorites is great. I just hope Korg didn't take a step backward with the EPs.

I probably won't upgrade my SV-1 to the SV-2 but if it's an improvement, that would be great to know in the event I ever need a replacement. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

The SV-2 demo I heard sounded like Kronos-lite aka Grandstage. :D

The splits, layers, updated pianos and more favorites is great. I just hope Korg didn't take a step backward with the EPs.

The specs still show an EDS based engine, unlike the Kronos/Grandstage, so I'm thinking maybe Korg Japan merely contributed the Kronos/Grandstage piano sample sets to what is otherwise still basically Korg Italy's SV1 foundation. But yeah, I'll be curious to hear the reactions of those SV1-owning NAMM attendees.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Just watched the Sweetwater overview of the SV2 on Youtube :

Lots of detail, apparently, in the sound, the key-off noise for the clav, for example. I like the sounds a lot.

Jacob Dupree also claims that the sounds match the keys almost perfectly, so you can be very expressive with the piano sounds.

Which is nice to hear, since I'm more of a pianist than a keyboard player.

Pity then, that there's no option of a triple pedal for the SV2. Korg has a separate unit, but that's not compatible.

I know that piano players aren't the people looking for something like the SV2, but still, shame, really...

A long time ago, in a musical galaxy far, far away...

Eminent-Solina B412, Yamaha DX21, Yamaha V50, Yamaha U1

21st century...

Kawai CA58, Korg Liano, Arturia Minilab 3, Arturia Minilab MkII, Arturia Minifreak

I know that piano players aren't the people looking for something like the SV2, but still, shame, really...

This is actually why I think it"s valid for the Grandstage and SV2 to both be available and so close in price. At least in my view the piano players would probably only be interested in the Grandstage, assuming you like those piano sounds at all. For me the SV is all about Rhodes and Wurly with the added bonus that the piano sounds don"t suck. Subjective opinion of course. I know some players think they suck. The Clav sounds in my SV1 are ok, but I can"t get into them with that action. Even using it as a controller for better Clav sounds, it just doesn"t work for me.

These pianos on the demos still sound like SV pianos. This is a good thing if you are a Rocker or Honky Tonker

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

This is actually why I think it"s valid for the Grandstage and SV2 to both be available and so close in price. At least in my view the piano players would probably only be interested in the Grandstage, assuming you like those piano sounds at all. For me the SV is all about Rhodes and Wurly with the added bonus that the piano sounds don"t suck. Subjective opinion of course. I know some players think they suck. The Clav sounds in my SV1 are ok, but I can"t get into them with that action. Even using it as a controller for better Clav sounds, it just doesn"t work for me.

Probably. Now if only they could put some speakers into the Grandstage and make it look as cool as the SV2. Plus, there's no triple pedal for the Grandstage, either.

Also, according to the Thomann website (one of the largest European retailers), the Granstage 88 is no longer available, only the 73...

A long time ago, in a musical galaxy far, far away...

Eminent-Solina B412, Yamaha DX21, Yamaha V50, Yamaha U1

21st century...

Kawai CA58, Korg Liano, Arturia Minilab 3, Arturia Minilab MkII, Arturia Minifreak

From listening to the demos - I still prefer Grandstage modelled EP's. GS also has pitch/mod wheels, more convenient shape and many more sounds. Don't see why anybody would buy SV2 over Grandstage unless you are dead set on vintage case shape.

From listening to the demos - I still prefer Grandstage modelled EP's. GS also has pitch/mod wheels, more convenient shape and many more sounds. Don't see why anybody would buy SV2 over Grandstage unless you are dead set on vintage case shape.

Um how about the 12ax tube?

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

The Sweetwater demo has increased my interest. The EPs seem to have retained the character of the original while adding detail, though it's impossible to really tell without playing one. My last remaining fear is that they might have the same sluggishness in the attack that the Grandstage EPs have. Here's hoping otherwise.

Um how about the 12ax tube?

If I were KORG,- I´d replace it w/ the (VOX) NuTube technology.

I guess they did.

A.C.

Well, I gave it shot today at NAMM, but after 20 to 30 seconds I gave up. There was really no point. No phones on the SV-2 only speakers. From the noise level I couldn't hear sh*t. It could have been an SV-1, a P120 or a friggin' RMI I was listening too. Really hopeless.

No offense to anyone that still finds inspiration in going but after #34, I'm officially DONE with NAMM. And yes you can quote me on that.

yeah I know, its big and noisy and after a few hours you've been on your feet too long and had to much audio input.

but you'll never have all these models in one room at one time. won't be hard to find an SV-2 or the YC61 to try.

but a Crumar Seven or a Viscount Legend 70s. that's going to take a long drive for most and a plane for some.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Similar thinking here, but prefer Vox Continental for EP"s. Amazing keys plus NuTube.

Only reason to add the SV2 would be the speakers on the SV2S.

But in that case I"d go for the Roland RD-88 with the Zen Core.

I had a quick listen to the RD-88 demos, and I have to say that I don't like the AP and EP sounds! They sound to articial to my ears. It's terrible how this thing is subjective. I was a bit mad at the people arguing against the Korg APs in general, as I find them quite good, even on my SV1. Now I find myself having the same reaction against Roland's APs and EPs :-(

I think we are all hooked to certain types of keyboard sounds, based on our musical tastes, experiences, way of playing, previous owned board, and so on... There will never be any consensus on this topic, I guess, and probably that's how it should be, so that everybody can find what he wants.

Anyway, so the question for me now is: what to choose between Grandstage and the SV-2.

How I see it at the moment: the EDS-X technology used on the SV-2 is more recent than the sound engines used on the Grandstage, so probably a bit better. The Grandstage has more directly available sounds and a direct split/layer function integrated. It was announced though by Korg that more sounds will be available for the SV-2 through the editor. In anycase, available slots for sounds are limited on the SV-2. The keyboard action, I guess, is the same. Keyboard shape is debattable: SV-2's shape is more fancy but a bit hard to handle for gigs, Grandstage looks nice but more classical. Then, comes the speaker feature. Do I really need it or not?? Prices seem to be in the same range.

So still hard to make a decision right now: I have still a slight preference for the SV-2 at the moment.

Don't see why anybody would buy SV2 over Grandstage unless you are dead set on vintage case shape.

The positioning is a little less clear now than when the Grandstage first came out. Between the Grandstage having come down in price since then, and teh SV2 coming in at a higher price than the SV1, they directly compete to a greater extent than they did before. But *if* the SV2 maintains the SV1 EPs, they do have a different character than those in the Kronos (which I assume are the same in the GS), and while both are good, I like the SV1 EPs more, presumably at least in art because of the tube. The EPs and the much greater direct access to real-time effects would be reasons to choose an SV2 over a GS.

I had a quick listen to the RD-88 demos, and I have to say that I don't like the AP and EP sounds! They sound to articial to my ears. It's terrible how this thing is subjective.

Yup, very subjective. I generally haven't liked Roland's EPs. I find the APs okay, though not my favorites. Yes, artificial, but still kind of pleasing in their way.

the EDS-X technology used on the SV-2 is more recent than the sound engines used on the Grandstage, so probably a bit better.

Different. The EP1 engine of the Grandstage uses modeling as a big part of the EP sounds, and AFAIK, there is no modeling in the SV2 except for the effects.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

OK then I'm more and more convinced about going to the SV2... I listened carefully several times to the EPs, and I think they are in the same spirit as the SV1's, but even better and with more choices. In particular, from Korg's website demos, I really enjoyed the reproduction of the Mark V!

And the APs definitely sound good to my ears, with different characters, so here also a wider possible choice than on the SV1.

I'd like to hear the other sounds, especially brass and leads: I would need them for splits!

In the meantime, I see that Korg has added new demos on their website, but still no brass.

One added bonus for the SV2 is that it seems possible to use both the DS-2H and the DS-1H pedals, which is not possible on the SV1. My DS-2H pedal was broken after a long time using it, and I could not find one to replace it, as the production was apparently stopped by Korg.

So I used standard pedals, but could not adapt right to the lack of half pedal. At least now, Korg has started the DS-2H production again (I could order it from a french store), and DS-1H is also there as backup. It is said to be better built and more resistant. So useful for gigs...

Spent some time with this yesterday. Unfortunately, I had to demo the version with the speakers and couldn't listen to it in headphones. Was extremely underwhelmed. Will have to wait till it hits a music store to make an objective decision.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

I had a quick listen to the RD-88 demos, and I have to say that I don't like the AP and EP sounds! They sound to articial to my ears. It's terrible how this thing is subjective. I was a bit mad at the people arguing against the Korg APs in general, as I find them quite good, even on my SV1. Now I find myself having the same reaction against Roland's APs and EPs :-(

I think we are all hooked to certain types of keyboard sounds, based on our musical tastes, experiences, way of playing, previous owned board, and so on... There will never be any consensus on this topic, I guess, and probably that's how it should be, so that everybody can find what he wants.

I agree with this a lot. I think I said earlier that the response is voodoo magic. To me that means what is magical and perfect for me is barely playable and garbage to someone else. The Rolands have always been my least favorite, maybe because it was my first and it was cheap and I hated it. I cannot deny however that when I hear Reese Wynans or Jon Cleary playing one it sounds amazing. When the SV1 first came out I thought it looked gimmicky and inconvenient. It wasn't until I played one that I fell in love with it. I try not to make up my mind based on a Youtube demo. In my experience there is always more to it than that.

Before buying my SV1 in 2009, I had a cheap Roland digital piano and a XV5050 sound module. And I always felt they were sounding too artificial and was kind of frustrated when usingthem. So I was looking forward getting a digital piano with good quality samples, sounding like real instruments. The SV1 then completely changed my musical life, especially for the EPs. I guess I really prefer sampled sounds than modelled ones. If I had to buy a keyboard from another brand than Korg, it would probably be Kawai, as I listened to some demos of the MP7SE and found them pretty good for APs" also for EPs even though I think they are still better on the SV2. The price of the MP7SE makes it quite attractive though.