Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard accessory for my back....

Up to about age 50, my back, aside from a twinge here and there in response to outrageous behavior, seemed basically bullet-proof. But I was getting alot of excercise and I rarely sat for a long time.

At 63 my back is tempermental, and it does not like couches and bascially, till now, any chair or bench. I have a set of stuff I do that brings it back to semi-normal if it gets sore, and I sleep on a real Japanese Futon.

I was listening to the Sonicstate podcast and they were all comiserating and sharing their tactics to deal with years of back issues. Then this came up:

[video:youtube]

I ordered one and it came a few days ago.

In my new world of MIDI, synths, boards, reading manuals, it is a revelation. When I pulled the trigger I thought, this thing is pricey. Now I wonder how I ever got on without one. If I'm not standing or on the bench over my RT3 pedalboard, I use it. Piano bench? Gone. Super comfy softy chair. Done. I may need a second one.

Lots of fancy chairs out there, but none I've seen have so many practical modes as this one. I may start sleeping in it.

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Miller Aeron was what I sat on during the last 10 years or so of my software career. I believe we were paying $600 a chair, although prices seem to have come down recently.

This seems similar but with a couple extra tilt features. I can't seem to find a price anywhere for the Phantom Focus though.

Moe

---

The problem with a back rest is that it doesn't help you strengthen your back muscles or improve posture habits. Thus you could get worse as you age. I have used a $12 foam wedge to help me sit with proper posture for over ten years, ie. hips tilted forward - thus back straighter. I take it to all my gigs, never knowing what the various piano seats provided by the venue may be like.

81VfMKmzmyL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg The other thing I do is stand up every 45 minutes, pull my shoulders back, and at the same time try to press my shoulder blades down towards my back pockets . A therapist taught me that and said it was the one essential exercise I should always do. That really has helped me improve my back, and I am someone who has been bed ridden for weeks with back pain on two occasions.

Also, no more moving keyboards for me that weigh over 26 pounds, nor playing with a heavy action.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

The problem with a back rest is that it doesn't help you strengthen your back muscles or improve posture habits. I have used a $12 foam wedge to help me sit with proper posture for over ten years. 81VfMKmzmyL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

The other thing I do is get up every 45 minutes pull my shoulders back and try to press my shoulder blades back and down into my back pockets . That really has helped me strengthen up.

You need to closely watch the modes for the back rest. It has a follow mode, and in combination with the free tilting seat--addresses the issue you point out in a original way. I've sat in many chairs (owned by clients), I've used foamy pads. Nothing is close to this, according to my back.

The arm rests are killer. They go up and down---alot. They point in or out. They come off in 1 sec.

The overall height range is good. I'm 6',1", long legged. At full height my heels are 2-3" off ground. Fully down it is identical butt height to my 1986 Young Chang piano bench.

As many of you probably know, Tadz is very famous studio builder in high demand. I might build a platform over my 32 note union approved Hammond RT3 pedal board and use this instead of bench. But I will need to a feature: Brakes!!

It's got arm rests? They would be in the way. And I can't take that chair to gigs.

(see edited post above). I need to pivot my upper torso when I play piano, not be leaning against a backrest.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

It's got arm rests? They would be in the way. And I can't take that chair to gigs.

(see edited post above). I need to pivot my upper torso when I play piano, not be leaning against a backrest.

You don't get it, sorry. Did you watch the video? The arm rests move all over, up and down, and come off in 1 sec. The backrest can be pushed completely away with one gesture. It could be killer at a gig with multiple boards. It weighs about 36 lbs I think. But you can pull the seat off and the back rest. It's a simple breakdown. Producers and artists bring chairs heavier than this to sessions all the time.

People have all sorts of ways to interact with their gear. This chair at a gig might not make sense for you, but not for the reasons you state.

I have no medical proof but I stopped walking around barefoot in house and started to wear Crocks (or anything similar.)

I had a podiatrist tell me the same thing (don't go barefoot), not sure if that constitutes medical proof.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

The website is pretty weird, I never found this before I ordered:

The standard eChair is shipped with cylinder #1. You can request #2 or #3 via email. Number one raises higher than other chairs.

Cylinder 1 adjustable height range: 19.5' â 25'

Cylinder 2 adjustable height range: 21' â 31' (Foot ring, Raven Chrome only) Cylinder 3 adjustable height range: 28' â 38' (Foot ring, Raven - No Chrome only)

Seat dimensions:

W 18.25'

D 17.5'

Overall width with arms attached: 23' Overall depth: 19'

Large seat dimensions (Raven Chrome only): W 20.5', D 18.5'.

Base diameter: 24'

Weight with arms: 48 lbs (41 lbs. without arms) Weight Capacity: 375 lbs.

Shipping weight is 55 lbs

Box size: 23x23x28

The user has the option of attaching or not attaching the included adjustable arms.

NOTE: Cylinder 2 can be set very high and if that is the user"s intention, we recommend ordering a foot ring for an additional $50.00. Right now this option is not available on line and the buyer will need to provide his or her CC info with Carl Tatz Design via phone or email.