Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Transferring Recordings From Kurzweil PC4

Hey,

I"m wondering, does anyone know how to transfer a song recorded from a Kurzweil PC4 onto a thumb drive? I"ve looked in the user manual with no luck. I plug the thumb drive into the back of the keyboard, but it doesn"t do anything on the screen.

Thanks!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Tesslia,

Here is a quick step by step of saving one select song to USB thumb drive:

(Assuming the power is on)

Insert a USB thumb drive

Press GLOBAL

Press FILE

Press STORE

Press ADVANCED

Use the data wheel to select (highlight) your song from the on screen list of objects

Press STORE

Press OK

Give your file a name

Press OK

Press YES if asked 'Save Dependent Objects'

(Manual reference pg.9-16 through 9-21)

I hope this helps.

Any questions, please contact me here:

support@kurzweil.com

Jean Robert Bellefeuille

Manager of Technical and Customer Support

Kurzweil Music Systems

support at kurzweil dot com

www.kurzweil.com

I see Kurzweil support has already given you an answer that was covered in the manual for how to save your song as a PC4 file. I assumed you were trying to export a Standard MIDI file; I recall having trouble finding this function when I first got my PC3, I'm not sure why Kurzweil's manuals are coy about how to do this. I can't imagine with they haven't included the ability to save and load SMFs. If that's what you're trying to do, then I agree it isn't in the manual, a search of the online PDF found no reference to 'smf', 'standard midi file', or 'export'. If you can't find it among the file storage menus, it's probably tucked away in song mode somewhere. Good luck.

Another interpretation of your question is that you're hoping the PC4 can poot out a wav file of a song. I'm not aware of it having that capability.

If your looking for a recording the .pc4 is not that. The .pc4 file is a set of program instructions for telling the PC4 how to create the song. To record the song you need a computer or some other device capable of recording the audio directly. You could take the output from the PC4 playing the song and using an adapter connect to the microphone input of the computer making sure the level is appropriate and use a program like Audacity. Or even better use an audio interface, there are several USB audio interface that are low cost and and provide very good quality sound. Or record the output directly into a small field recorder such as Zoom H1n

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Kurzweil sequencers record midi, not audio. Your .pc4 song file that you saved is a midi data file. You can't directly convert a .pc4 file to an .mp3 file.

like Toano88 says, you will need to record the audio from the PC4's audio outputs. There's many ways to do it.

What the .pc4 song file does when you hit play, is to give the PC4 all the info it needs to play back what you've recorded into it.