Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Should I repair/replace GEM RP-X Module

It seems that my GEM Module has crapped out on me. I was at rehearsal Wednesday night and it would not turn on. The light on the power supply inline wart is on but unit would not power up. I will us a volt meter and check out the plug before I do anything with it. Last time is was just the power button on the unit.

My Question is (Choking) should I just spend my money on Virtual Instruments? I could run them off an iPad 4 or possibly my older MacBook. (2009 I think).

Is there another module I might find a better fit?? I mostly use it for Acoustic Pianos and various EP's and Clavs. I am paring this with the Casio/Radio Shack DP-4073 weighted key 22lb piano.I am not a fan of the sounds live but love the weight.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As one of many who have gone the iPad route for similar purpose I recommend that you give that a try. You sound like a prime candidate for Korg Module with Scarbee & Ivory upgrades. If you want to get multitimbral or have more options, I"d suggest the combination of Ravenscroft, Neo-Soul Studio, Module and use AUM as a host (or Camelot if they can do IAA by now) â your iPad as a touchscreen.

Here for the gear.

Try the gemini module. They just released a new acoustic piano for it two days ago. It sounds good.

Gemini module demo: https://www.genuinesoundware.com/?a=showproduct&b=43

New piano release: https://www.genuinesoundware.com/?a=page&p=VeniceGrandOpen

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Sorry to hear that BluesKeys. I think I may have actually connected you with the retailer where you purchased your RP-X, some years ago. That module was hard to find at the time...

Not sure what your budget is, but I briefly had a Dexibell SX7 Module and was impressed with the acoustic pianos, especially a couple of the 'Platinum' versions. In the end, however, I couldn"t justify the price ($1,299 MAP) for what I would largely use as a 'one trick pony' and sent it back. Had I liked more of the non-AP sounds, I may have kept it.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

At the 2016 NAMM Synthology showed a hardware piano module loaded with Ivory. I can"t find it. Not sure if it was Vaporware or just didn"t last long. The Peavey Musebox had pianos but ..... tough business.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

[video:youtube]

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

As one of many who have gone the iPad route for similar purpose I recommend that you give that a try. You sound like a prime candidate for Korg Module with Scarbee & Ivory upgrades. If you want to get multitimbral or have more options, I"d suggest the combination of Ravenscroft, Neo-Soul Studio, Module and use AUM as a host (or Camelot if they can do IAA by now) â your iPad as a touchscreen.

Drawback, this all went over my head!!! i did a quick look see and I am assuming the Scarbee and Ivory upgrades are either loaded into the Korg Module or played through it. The way I understand it Scarbee and Ivory need a platform to attach to so they work i.e. such as the Korg or Ravenscroft programs?

Sorry to hear that BluesKeys. I think I may have actually connected you with the retailer where you purchased your RP-X, some years ago. That module was hard to find at the time...

Not sure what your budget is, but I briefly had a Dexibell SX7 Module and was impressed with the acoustic pianos, especially a couple of the 'Platinum' versions. In the end, however, I couldn"t justify the price ($1,299 MAP) for what I would largely use as a 'one trick pony' and sent it back. Had I liked more of the non-AP sounds, I may have kept it.

Moonglow you are correct as I recall. I also bought it on your recommendation and have used it all these years! I cannot see spending $1000 or more on this since I have the Roland RD2000 that I could pull out. It is just so dang heavy!!!

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.jimmyweaver.com

Keep in mind guys the Casio/Radio Shack KB I am using is NOT a controller KB. It only has MIDI In/out and a headphone jack! it doesn't have a USB or XLR or even a 1/4 line out!!!! I have two of these because I like the weight so much. The sounds on them were the first attempt from Casio and are weak to say the least!

Jimmy

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.jimmyweaver.com

did a quick look see and I am assuming the Scarbee and Ivory upgrades are either loaded into the Korg Module or played through it. The way I understand it Scarbee and Ivory need a platform to attach to so they work i.e. such as the Korg or Ravenscroft programs?

Hey Jimmy, if you purchase Korg Module (recently rebranded as Module Pro), you get a built-in array of instruments such as acoustic & Rhodes pianos, clav and organ. You can upgrade to Ivory American or Scarbee Rhodes with an in-app purchase. They then get automatically installed inside Korg Module as an update to the app. The basic Module sounds are good though, and there are presets for each as well as a user-save option. I think that if you have an iPad already, it would be a small investment to at least try Module to see if it can work for you.

Regarding your next post about the Casio only having MIDI, the PlugKey would be a good solution, although AnotherScott posted about the Alesis Control Hub which appears to be a good interface.

Hope this helps.

Here for the gear.

Jimmy,

I use Korg Module Pro 95% of the time when using my iPad (or even iPhone 8+) as a sound generator. One starts with purchase of Module itself, and installing it on the iPad (note that Korg has frequent half-price sales on their apps and the add-ins). Once you have Module installed, you can go to Korg's "store" inside Module and hear samples/purchase any of the add-on packages. I presently have ALL of them except the most recent Ivory "American" grand. There is also one add-in that allows setting up splits. If one gets most of the add-ins there are well over 500 patches. You can also modify certain parameters (unfortunately, not drawbars) on patches and save the resultant to a User bank. I have all of the 10 or 12 patches that I use with any frequency loaded in the User bank, set like I want them, and close enough to each other on the screen that I can lay the iPad down on the Kurzweil PC2 where it sits, and use my finger to slide around the screen and change patches as needed.

So - if you want primarily the Scarbee patches, you could choose several different ones and rather easily switch from one to another.

I have three different keyboards that I use with the iPad. One is the PC3 that is also at church. I connect from the USB MIDI to the iPad using Apple's USB3 to Lightning connector, which also has a connector so I can charge the iPad at the same time. I then connect audio using the phone jack on the iPad.

A second system, primarily for absolute minimum haulage, is an iRig Pro 37 (full size) MIDI controller, connected in similar manner. I haven an iPad Mini 2 dedicated to this purpose.

The third is a Samson Carbon 61 MIDI controller, which has 5-pin MIDI, connected to a Korg "PlugKey," which allows me to convert 5-pin MIDI to get it into the iPad, and also has Digital to Analog converter that connects to the Lightning connector in the iPad 5 I use with it to get full size 1/4" audio output jacks (stereo). This also provides a way to keep the iPad charged.

A more expensive MIDI controller would allow mapping numerous things to sliders and knobs.

One would think with both PC2 and PC3, I'd have all the sounds I want, but I considerably prefer the Module for Hammond/Leslie. There are enough variation patches that I don't really need to adjust drawbars (another iPad app named Galileo can be mapped for drawbars, but it is dedicated Hammond/Leslie with no other sounds).

Korg Module Pro That link will fill you in on Module. There is a "free" version that you can try to see the sound quality. Prices on the different sound banks are (usual for IOS) about a tenth of those for Windows or Mac sound apps.

https://www.korg.com/us/products/software/korg_module/modules.php This Link lists all of the different add-in sound banks that Korg has available. You can only install and purchase the ones of interest to you.

I could actually do a pickup gig carrying nothing but the PlugKey and my phone, connecting to any provided MIDI keyboard backline and amplification. The volume/expression pedal works on my PC3 with it, so does the sustain/Leslie speed pedal. A fully charged iPad being on with screen on for 2.5 hours takes the battery down to about 70% even with no charging.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Recently, I had the chance to play an RP-X again, after several years... and I must say it didn't sound good as I seemed to remember. The RP-X was centainly exceptional for its time and it sounds very musical, but today, there are other portable choices, like the *free* Ravenscroft 275 for iPad.

Even though it's a scaled-down version, it sounds good. Should work with iPad 4. No EPs or Clavinets, though.

https://www.vilabsaudio.com/ravenscroft275ios

there are other portable choices, like the *free* Ravenscroft 275 for iPad.

Maybe in Italy it's free, over here in the USA it's $36 (about 33).

Sigh - seems you're right. It was free last time I checked; must have been some kind of special or introductory offer. My bad.

That said, it's still a hell of a piano for $36! :)

Ivory Mobile Grand is $29.95, the newer separate Ivory American Grand is also $29.95 (only one I don't have), Most of the others are either $9.95 or $19.95 (all US pricing). In the past, Korg has had frequent 1/2 price sales on Module itself and all of the apps.

Once bought, it can be loaded on up to 5 iPad/iPhones, without having to pay for additional licensing (useful if one wants to have a backup sound module in an additional iPad).

The sounds that come with the basic Module app are good, but the expansions add to quality and versatility.

I also have Ravenscroft 275; which is not the full equal of the PC/Mac version (mostly in terms of how many different layers are available), but it is a very good sounding piano for the quite moderate price. Also use iFretless Bass a good bit, has some very good bass guitar sounds.

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Tommy you are so correct!! It makes my butt draw up to think I have to get all these different downloads talking to each other and then for it all to work with my keyboard!!!! I am as far from a geek as you can get! But I know some really smart people that I may have to rely on the bail me out! Hint Hint Tommy/Learjeff/Steve!!!

Jimmy

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.jimmyweaver.com

Jimmy, you're a hardware guy.

Tom

Noted for next time.

Then it"s probably time to ditch the RPX and the old Casio, get a new 25lb Casio PX and you only need to deal with one thing.

Here for the gear.

Jimmy, you're a hardware guy.

Tom

Noted for next time.

Then it"s probably time to ditch the RPX and the old Casio, get a new 25lb Casio PX and you only need to deal with one thing.

drawback, I really do want to step out of my comfort zone and give the virtual plug-ins a try. It sounds like the cost will not be prohibitive and I am sure the sounds will be inspiring once I get past the learning curve! I first have to upgrade my Setlist Maker to BandHelper and then move into the Korg Module Pro!

Jimmy

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.jimmyweaver.com

Couple of added comments on using iPad: Probably best to turn on Airplane Mode (which shuts off wi-fi networking) before use, just to be sure that you don't get a text or similar (if you configure those programs, not a problem if you use the iPad exclusively for music apps).

Even an older unit can run Module Pro, although obviously loading programs (and capability for more advanced use) increase with the power of a later unit. I would stay away from going too far back, the 30-pin connector old units connection is not as rugged as the Lightning connector. Conversely, the newest iPad Pros have a USB-C connector instead of Lightning. Nothing wrong with that except that most of the auxiliary hardware for getting MIDI and audio in and out hasn't caught up yet.

Especially around Black Friday sales, the year old iPads are discounted substantially.

Whatever you get, remember that storage can't be expanded. 16gb not very useful, minimum of 32gb. 128 gb gives lots of extra room, mine is only about a third full with all the apps that I have loaded on it.

I use two iPads in music. The mini 2 (or iPad 5) are used as sound sources, the old iPad 3 (30 pin connector) is used to run a set list app named OnSong where my charts and set lists are stored. Have a B&H mount connected to the Z-stand by a short mic boom and adapter, so that it is adjustable to be easily seen, and use a Bluetooth dual pedal to change pages.

Jim

• 2 months later...

OK, I have some time on y hands and have been revisiting this iPad/Korg Module Pro thing adding Scarbee and Ivory! this sounds like it is up my ally. I do need a split for left hand bass and would be nice to layer some

EP/Clav and Piano/Strings maybe even Rhodes/DX7 for that bells hit. I STILL need an interface don't I? Like the Alesis Control Hub or would a PRO TOOLS MBOX work? I have the MBOX already.

Jimmy

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.jimmyweaver.com

BluesKeys,

So, if I understand what you've said in this thread, the tools you are wanting to use are:

1. A Casio/Radio Shack DP-4073 88key keyboard that has MIDI in/out (5 pin DIN)

2. Ipad 4

3. Korg Module w/in app expansions (Ivory, Scarbee)

If this is correct, what you need is a connection between your Ipad's lightning jack to the MIDI out of your DP-4073 to get the DP-4073 controlling the IPad.

This can be done with several methods. One of the easiest is an IK systems iRig MIDI 2 that has a lightning connector and a 5 pin DIN connector. Another is a bluetooth connector MD-BT01 that Yamaha makes. There are many others....

Once you decide on a connector, you just take the headphone stereo out of your Ipad into whatever amplification you are using and you should be good to go.

Kurzweil Forte 7, Mojo 61, Yamaha P-125,

Kronos X61, Nautilus 73

BluesKeys,

So, if I understand what you've said in this thread, the tools you are wanting to use are:

1. A Casio/Radio Shack DP-4073 88key keyboard that has MIDI in/out (5 pin DIN)

2. Ipad 4

3. Korg Module w/in app expansions (Ivory, Scarbee)

If this is correct, what you need is a connection between your Ipad's lightning jack to the MIDI out of your DP-4073 to get the DP-4073 controlling the IPad.

This can be done with several methods. One of the easiest is an IK systems iRig MIDI 2 that has a lightning connector and a 5 pin DIN connector. Another is a bluetooth connector MD-BT01 that Yamaha makes. There are many others....

Once you decide on a connector, you just take the headphone stereo out of your Ipad into whatever amplification you are using and you should be good to go.

OK, So, I like the Bluetooth method since it leaves the lightning port open for charging (I have the adaptor for charge and 1/8" out. ANYONE using this method? what pitfalls should I be aware of?

Jimmy

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.jimmyweaver.com

I found using Korg Module with Scarbee and Ivory on an iPad for performance introduced too much latency. I had high hopes for it, but alas found it lagged too much.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I use the more recent USB3 Camera Adapter that has both USB and a Lightning socket, so the device can be charged and still connected to the keyboard - works great. Use it with the iPad mini2 or the iPad 5, and even with my wife's old iPhone 6, which now has no SIM card, and no apps except Module, iFretless Bass, and as many of the already bought add-in sounds as I have been able to fit in the 16GB old phone (she bought an iPhone 11). I also had my old iPhone 6, but traded it in for an iPhone 8+ (love the larger size, Module is also on it, but with no audio jack, I have to use the Korg PlugKey for connection.

My oldest iPad 3 is now dedicated using OnSong to replace all of my sheets. Have it mounted on a mic boom connected to the Zstand, lot easier to read, and I can download additional music or key changes if needed while at the church.

The most recent iPad pro has the newest USB connector instead of Lightning, and don't think it still has a mic/headphone jack, so it is more difficult to connect. Korg still doesn't make a version of the PlugKey with that type of connector.

I keep it as simple as I can. Personally, I don't have problems with the latency, but I don't play as well (or as fast) as many on the forum. I've never been completely satisfied with Kurzweil PC3 KB3 organ (the Hammond is fine, but the fast Leslie I don't like), so I mostly use the Hammond sounds from Module. Did use Tubular Bells last Sunday for a nice added touch on Onward, Christian soldiers (like the Ernie Ford recording did).

Jim

Very much agree, but Module I already had for very portable gigs, and have spent way less including all the in app purchases. Would like to have a Vent, but other priorities now for dollars.

Oh, and if I really need Hammond/Leslie with movable drawbars, I do have a Hammond SK1-73. Leslie on that for what I do is quite satisfactory.

Jim

That was kind of my point Jim. I knew you first bought an NE3 then an Sk1., which cost a ton more than a Vent. If you had the Vent you wouldn't need the Sk1 and think of the money differential between the two. There's nothing the SK1 does better than the PC3 other than the leslie. A vent would have solved that and not cost you the the amount the SK1 did. Just sayin....

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band