Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

KORG opsix

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like this old school approach!

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

Not a first for Korg.

There was the 4op DS-8 keyboard with its "subtractive" type of editing. Maybe the OPSIX is an expanded take on that.

also The MOD-7 on the Oasys/Kronos and the VOLCA-FM modules.

FM is pretty much alive in software land since the Native Instruments FM7/FM8.... not to mention the whole MIDIBOXFM DIY kits.

It's always hard with such a machine of which the sound would create certain expectations to be confirmed that a reissue is a great idea. I had the original DX7 and a TX802 and at the time used them a lot, and was happy with the fact they could do many different sounds. All tiny and cold ? No, in fact, though I felt the need to have more (analog) by the side, but that took special sound sets, and of course the instrument needed to be set up and mixed right.

So what can this official Korgified FM synth be ? A perfect clone ? I don't know. There's software and hardware that can do FM, but I rarely can get to those sounds I loved at the time, because of too many imperfections, except more recently I took some time to work with DEXED and some mix tools (samping related), where I got some of the good sounds going a bit.

I'd have an interest (provided money) to play with a actually satisfactory SY99 new version or whatever it would have to be called! I suppose the people like Chick Corea and other who took it upon themselves to make wonderful sounds and examples with these machine would once again have to take some lead to make the sound actually come out so interesting and thrilling, however they got that done in the times of brighter music days.

I kind of like the idea of the ARP reissue, but that's expensive and it should have been possible in software!

T

It's always hard with such a machine of which the sound would create certain expectations to be confirmed that a reissue is a great idea. I had the original DX7 and a TX802 and at the time used them a lot, and was happy with the fact they could do many different sounds. All tiny and cold ? No, in fact, though I felt the need to have more (analog) by the side, but that took special sound sets, and of course the instrument needed to be set up and mixed right.

So what can this official Korgified FM synth be ? A perfect clone ? I don't know. There's software and hardware that can do FM, but I rarely can get to those sounds I loved at the time, because of too many imperfections, except more recently I took some time to work with DEXED and some mix tools (samping related), where I got some of the good sounds going a bit.

I'd have an interest (provided money) to play with a actually satisfactory SY99 new version or whatever it would have to be called! I suppose the people like Chick Corea and other who took it upon themselves to make wonderful sounds and examples with these machine would once again have to take some lead to make the sound actually come out so interesting and thrilling, however they got that done in the times of brighter music days.

I kind of like the idea of the ARP reissue, but that's expensive and it should have been possible in software!

T

Arturia has the 2600 V. KORG may do that eventually. Seeing"s as they made a software version of the Odyssey. For the iPad only. There is a rumor floating around the net, of mini version of the 2600. Which was started by Guitar Center.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't diss the 707, it worked as a keytar.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Volca FM was the #1 selling synth on Reverb.com in 2017 and still made the #11 spot in 2019

https://reverb.com/news/best-selling-synths-and-drum-machines-of-2019

I don't know what the overall sales figures are, globally but they must be high enough for Korg to even bother with a mockup of a full-size keyboard version (Opsix).

I'm sure the low price had a lot to do with the Volca FM's big sales numbers but having those knobs to make it friendlier than the DX7, TX modules, etc. helped I'm sure. Knobs' vid is one of the few that digs into more interesting sounds - he does pull up EPiano patches on occasion but doesn't let it sit in 80s pop mode.

[video:youtube]

Im just gonna keep waiting here until they reissue the Poly 800 :D

Had one. Sold it. Would never buy again. :(

Man, same here. It didn't help that the blasted thing would go out of tune randomly during shows, and I got very good at being able to adjust the joystick to the correct between-semi-tone amounts to bring it back.

To be fair, I never had any fx units with my gear back then, and there was no way any of them were going to sound "like the record" when every album had lush Lexicons etc all over it....

I'm excited to see what the OP6 will bring to hardware FM synthesis.

However, I'm still convinced that the Kronos MOD7 engine is *the* hardware FM engine to beat:

- imports DX7 presets

- has filters, FX, and general access to Kronos, including its flexible MIDI master controller features

- MOD7 can do most anything DX, TX, SY hardware and later soft-synths can

I'll acknowledge that most probably don't realize this or care because it's just too difficult to spend learning it.

The interface is not user-friendly, and most would prefer easy presets and physical tweaking rather than menu diving.

I'm trying to bridge that gap by developing an iPad template that turbo-charges your Kronos knobs, buttons, and sliders.

You can have a physical FM synth like an OP6 if you already have a Kronos.

If you have an iPad, a Kronos, and an interest in next-gen FM and waveshaping synthesis, please send me a PM.