Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg Plugkey : please explain to a MIDI noob...

Suppose, you have a digital piano with no line-in, only line-out jacks and legacy MIDI IN/OUT at the back, and a 1/4 inch headphone jack front left. Say, something like the Korg D1.

Suppose you have a pair of monitor speakers.

Suppose you want to use an iPad with this setup and you need to hear not only the sounds of the board through the monitor speakers, but also the iPad (stuff like Garageband etc., but also sound from Youtube videos, etc.).

Suppose you then also want to hear everything when you plug a headphone into the front left jack of your DP.

In comes the Korg Plugkey. Is this a solution to the aforementioned use case, or not at all ?

I've been watching a bunch of Youtube videos, and have read reviews on the Korg Plugkey. Call be stupid, but I still don't get how it works exactly and whether it could solve the above problem...

Anyone ?

A long time ago, in a musical galaxy far, far away...

Eminent-Solina B412, Yamaha DX21, Yamaha V50, Yamaha U1

21st century...

Kawai CA58, Kawai ES110

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The audio outs from the PlugKey need to go to audio ins somewhere. To accomplish what you"re asking for, without lines in on your keyboard, you"ll need a mixer.

Shame... Even then, still wouldn't be able to use the board's headphone jack.

21st century...

Kawai CA58, Kawai ES110

This might be the answer for you, rather than a PlugKey.

Alesis Control Hub

Thanks, but same as a mixer, really, still can't use the built-in headphone jack. That's the convenience I want.

Only looking at boards with line-in or both audio/midi over USB from now on...

21st century...

Kawai CA58, Kawai ES110

The audio outs from the PlugKey need to go to audio ins somewhere. To accomplish what you"re asking for, without lines in on your keyboard, you"ll need a mixer.

Shame... Even then, still wouldn't be able to use the board's headphone jack.

Correct.

No audio ever travels over a 5-pin DIN MIDI connection, in or out. So the only places to get audio out of a D1 are its line outs and headphone out, and there is also no way to get external audio into it.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Can't you plug your headphones into the mixer along with everything else?

Had a setup like that with my MP11SE : line-out from the Kawai and stereo out from the iPad into a Behringer Q502 mixer, and then to a pair of iLoud Multimedia speakers. Had my headphones connected to the mixer as well (mixer was on the music rest, next to the ipad).

But I don't like the fact that the headphone wire runs all the way under the DP to the music rest, gets in the way of my left arm when playing.

That's why I want to use the headphone jack front left. I used the mixer at first because plugging the iPad straight into the line-in of the MP11SE produced some hiss, which I didn't like either. But for some reason, the hiss disappeared almost completely when I tried it again a couple of days ago. Go figure.

Anyway, the D1 has no line-in, so the mixer would be the only option, again causing the left arm wire problem, messing with my head again (I know, I know)...

21st century...

Kawai CA58, Kawai ES110