Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland announces new ZEN-core synthesis engine and system

https://www.roland.com/us/company/press_releases/2020/ROLAND-UNVEILS-ZEN-CORE-SYNTHESIS-SYSTEM/

I didn't see this covered anywhere yet, so it may be hot-off-the-press in anticipation of NAMM starting tomorrow.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, maybe so, as I seem to recall earlier talk of a new system infrastructure that folds in all of their technology.

Roland may be borrowing a page from Gibson in representing an old news item as fresh-off-the-press due to a trade show or what not.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I haven't really looked at Jupiter-X; is it based on System-8? If so, then probably ZEN-core can include everything they're currently doing.

The sound transferability between Fantom, Jupiter, RD and grooveboxes is news to me, and great news as well.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

Zen-Core is not in itself new news. Sharing sounds between different models might be what's new in this announcement. Fantom and Jupiter X are very similar animals, but if sounds from those critters can be played in the RD88, that makes the RD seem more interesting.

Also of note is the reference to Fantom firmware 1.50 due in late January. Current system is 1.11. It might be placing too much emphasis on labels, but Fantom owners can hope that 1.50 is more than just an incremental improvement and might include new sound engines.

edit: looks like you can download Beta 1.50 right now:

https://www.roland.com/global/support/by_product/all/general_apps_tools/e8006ef7-1509-4b31-ac36-da05c4180822/

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Of course the curmudgeon in me notices that the compatibility doesn't take just one more step into the past & include us FA-0* owners.

I think because the FA does not already have the Zen-Core engine in it. The other boards do, but they are adding patch compatibility between models that are based on the same engines. At least that's what it looks like to me.

if sounds from those critters can be played in the RD88, that makes the RD seem more interesting.

The RD-88 already struck me as the most appealing stage piano they have made in a good 10 years or more. But now, yes, even better, it will have some level of patch compatibility with those other models.

From the press release:

owners of FANTOM 6/7/8 Synthesizers (Version 1.50*), JUPITER-X Series Synthesizers (Version 1.10) and RD-88 Stage Pianos will be able to start using the same compatible sounds across all models, adding a new collaborative capability to their instruments. An update for the MC-101 and MC-707 GROOVEBOXES will also be available in Q2 2020, with an update planned for AX-EDGE later this year.

That's interesting about the AX-Edge. I had seen speculation that the AX-Edge was based on Zen-Core (or an early version of it), just before they had decided to call it by that name, because the AX-Edge sound set is included in the new Fantom and Jupiter X, making up quite a bit of their patch library. And I have to say, the AX-Edge has some really nice sounds in it, when you get into its deeper tone set, beyond the "keytar focussed" synth lead presets.

More...

ZEN-Core base engine tones created on one instrument can be shared with other users or transferred into completely different compatible Roland hardware. Performers can take sounds made on a FANTOM and play them in the spotlight on an AX-Edge Keytar, or perform a JUPITER-X synth patch on an RD-88, dramatically simplifying setup and expanding tonal options. Sounds are easily shared with a bandmate or co-creator, even when using different compatible Roland hardware. With ZEN-Core, users have access to the sounds they want, in the format they want, wherever they produce or perform.

The Roland ZEN-Core multi-timbral engine combines the latest Virtual Analog and PCM (up to 256 voices) synthesis techniques with powerful DSP effects. Advanced synthesis features include new VA oscillators, precisely modeled filters, ultra-fast and smooth LFO and envelope modulators, and high-resolution control of primary editing and performance parameters. Sounds created for the base engine will be compatible across all ZEN-Core instruments, opening-up a world of opportunities for creators and sound designers alike.

ZEN-Core supports instrument-specific ZEN-Core Expansions including Analog Behavior Modeling for the JUPITER-X series and V-Piano for the new FANTOM Series. Further ZEN-Core expansions will soon arrive for other instruments in the Roland ZEN-Core family.

That last paragraph could use some clarification. I don't expect to be able to load ABM or V-Piano patches into Zen-Core models that don't already include those technologies, but this paragraph is vague.

ETA: More info at

https://www.roland.com/global/promos/zen-core/?fbclid=IwAR0G4ZlH3-rsrk4xFl9XS77C0q3cyLjtFH3qMmnhZj6LlX268fercvFZjHc

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• 5 months later...

' Roland's latest ZEN-Core Sound Packs deliver everything from vintage analog to fresh hybrid tones, expanding the sounds of the FANTOM, JUPITER-X and JUPITER-Xm, MC GROOVEBOXES, RD-88, and ZENOLOGY. And Model Expansions for Roland Cloud transform ZENOLOGY into entirely different instruments with their own sonic personalities, features, and preset tones.

AVAILABLE NOW

"Designer Series" Patch Collection: Juno-106 Synth Pop Espen Kraft (released July 7)

Model Expansion: JX-8P (released June 30)

COMING MID-JULY

"Designer Series" Patch Collection: JV-1080 Signature Sound Set Don Solaris

"Designer Series" Patch Collection: JV-1080 Cinematic Cyber Punk Dual Shaman

"Designer Series" Patch Collection: JV-1080 Wide Screen Ambient J. Scott

ZEN-Core Sound Pack: SDZ021 New Romantic

ZEN-Core Sound Pack: SDZ022 Keyboard Toolkit Vol.1

Model Expansion: SH-101

COMING LATE-JULY

"Designer Series" Patch Collection: System-8 Modern System Alin Dimitriu

ZEN-Core Sound Pack: SDZ023 Pangaea Heartbeat

ZEN-Core Sound Pack: SDZ024 Electro Zaps and Hits

ZEN-Core Sound Pack: SDZ025 Vapor Dance

ZEN-Core Sound Pack: SDZ026 Analog Pianos and Eps

ZEN-Core Sound Pack: SDZ027 Nu Sunset

ZEN-Core Sound Pack: SDZ028 Digital Leads

ZEN-Core Sound Pack: SDZ029 Shifting Visions

ZEN-Core Sound Pack: SDZ030 Hybrid Plucks

All new Model Expansions, Patch Collections, and ZEN-Core Sound Packs are offered with Roland Cloud Core, Ultimate and Pro memberships and can also be purchased individually as a Lifetime Key for $.99.'

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I'm getting my bearings straight here, but it looks like I can install the ZEN-Core Sound Packs into both my Fantom 7 and my Jupiter-X. I'm not sure if I have to license it twice but they are like 99 cents.

I cannot load model expansions like JX-8P or SH-101 into my Fantom, but they are already in my Jupiter X.

If I have a paid subscription to Roland Cloud I will be able to edit tones on my computer and export them to import them into my ZEN-Core hardware instruments.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

Haha. I posted it because I knew someone would figure out how the business model is working and explain to us how it"s supposed to work. ;)

Nord seems to have finally pushed other devs like Roland to more seriously explore their hardware getting an expanding library of sounds that aren"t attached to a purchase of hardware (like expansion cards). So its success is going to dictate what the cost is and how much they develop for it, how long it sticks around.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• 2 weeks later...

Another Zen Core Model Expansion released today - SH101. Roland seem to be keeping to their release dates. Juno 106 should be along presently.

So that's the JX8P and the SH101. Fantom users should be liking this. Will give the 101 a run out and see how it sounds....

1233.thumb.png.0467de8ba69f808757c784117d954e7a.png

The Zen Code Model Expansion are not exactly the same as the plug-outs. ABM has less features than ACB and uses less power so the emulation is not as accurate. Also missing the Tone control and 3 separate effects - though didn't exist on the hardware synth either. I have compared the 101 Zen Core model to the ACB and it's not quite as good. Lacks a bit of bass end and the envelope isn't as snappy. It's also missing some of the features of the original eg inverted envelope and the controls are not as intuitive as the plug-out ACB version: the graphical interface is nothing like the original synth - so no attempt at skeuomorphism. But uses a lot less CPU and if the Juno 106 model is as light on CPU it's a win for me - I don't mind losing a bit of detail if I can run more synths at lower latency.

Hmm, so maybe live performance is the real focus of ZenCore, and they won't abandon the ACB stuff down the road.

I just received the "upgrade" announcement for the AX-Edge today. Went to the Roland site. Was dazzled by pictures that come in from the side when I scroll down. Saw buzzwords like Zen, Cloud, and other words (like compatibility and VST) that I understand but can't quite fit in the context.

What I am trying to figger out is:

• Does the "upgrade" add any waves or modulators to my Ax-Edge?
  • Can I edit sounds on the VST with a non-crappy editor and export them to the AX-Edge hardware?
  • Has Roland ported any of the SuperNatural voices to Zen, particularly the violin?
  • If I buy something off their cloud, and then export it to the AX-Edge, can I use the AX-Edge offline as just a flicking musical instrument?

I remain confused. And I do technology and networks for a living....

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Tom,

If you want to message me privately, we can talk on the phone. I just purchased an AX-Edge keytar used today and it should be here by Friday. I have been navigating a lot of your topics with Roland Cloud, and Fantom and Jupiter X hardware. There"s a lot to unpack from your questions and I will tell you what I know and don"t know so far.

Jeff

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

I remain confused. And I do technology and networks for a living....

I'm glad it's not just me. I have tried numerous times since Roland started doing cloud stuff to figure out just what they were offering and how it worked, and it leaves me confused every time. I just assumed I was too old. (And maybe that is, indeed, the case.)

• If I buy something off their cloud, and then export it to the AX-Edge, can I use the AX-Edge offline as just a flicking musical instrument?

The AX-Edge update says "EXZ and SDZ Download Content is now supported" - EXZ are the SRX-based wave expansions, so I guess you'll be able to load at least one of those additional wave sets. The relevant manual says you will get a memory error if you try to load more than you have memory for, but it doesn't say how much memory that is. The fact that you *can* run out of memory for an install makes me think the sounds will be available resident in the Ax-Edge.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• Can I edit sounds on the VST with a non-crappy editor and export them to the AX-Edge hardware?
  • Has Roland ported any of the SuperNatural voices to Zen, particularly the violin?

Not currently

Yes but the crappiness factor yet TBD...editor has yet to be released

No

Yes, if it's a zen core sound pack

I'm currently subscribing to the 'Ultimate' tier but I'm wondering if I could drop to the 'Pro' tier and basically just use Zenology and its model expansions. I've got a real XV-5080 and Jupiter-8 in Arturia format so it might work.

Can someone confirm if this is how it works? That 'Pro' includes Zenology and all current and upcoming model expansions? Or do you need to buy them still? Where can you see the release schedule? Are the prices available somewhere?

(Frankly, the whole Roland Cloud thing - including the Manager and their friggin' website - are so infuriatingly bad I'd rather not subscribe to anything...but they do sound good so whatcha gonna do.)

I wish I understood. I got a large discount by paying two years in advance, so my subscription isn't up for another year, and by then it might have changed again anyway. :-)

I noticed last night that there were a bunch of modules I hadn't installed because I hadn't nited that they had two versions, one of which was for hardware (maybe the Fantom; I forget) and the other for Zenology. So that was something like 25+ installations. And I'll probably never have time to use any of it anyway. Less is more, and I prefer more focused offerings. It's why I finally sold my AAS stuff.

The compatibility grid has been updated, you can more clearly see what is and is not compatible with the Edge

https://www.roland.com/us/support/by_product/rc_zenology/support_documents/319ed642-8e1d-4b0b-a6ec-5d730f30cd8d/

According to a post on facebook, the Edge can hold two of the EXZ (SRX) wave expanions. I don't know what you mean by modulators, though...?

[*]Has Roland ported any of the SuperNatural voices to Zen, particularly the violin?

So far, only two SN sounds are part of Zenology (the piano and EP), and they are only available for the Fantom, which does not bode well for other SN sounds becoming available for anything other than the Fantom.