Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's your wah pedal?

Do you have one of those, surfergirl?

Still gonna fix the Killer Wail too.

Good; best of luck with that!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have one of those, surfergirl?

Still gonna fix the Killer Wail too.

Good; best of luck with that!

No, I just loved the art work. I just started playing around with my cry baby, and deciding if I even want to use one yet. I'm having trouble with my timing, which is usually not an issue with me. If I do get another wah, it would be on my list. I don't want to buy something just because I like the looks, but all things equal this would be my choice. I don't mind paying a little more for something I like the looks of.

Jenny S.

My last Dunlop wah pedal was killed at a gig long ago when some MMA fighters were in town and decided to start throwing 300 lbs. oak tables around the room for fun, one landing on my wah and literally bending the metal shell.

Just as well, Voodoo Chile is too trendy now and I don't play in cover bands anymore. I'd prefer a Vox 845 or Teese if it was free.

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

I went to Fulltone about a decade ago after too many others crapped out on me, or didn't have good ergonomics, travel range, or grip. I also like how Fulltone's has a three-way switch for emulating the three most popular wah brands of yore. But I have some almost-wah pedals too (probably all from Fulltone), such as the one that Hendrix used.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Today I did my "tour" of the local thrift stores.

Found a Dunlop 150Q, Cry Baby Bass Wah in white. Very nice condition, battery compartment clean.

With tax it was $7.60. Sweetwater wants almost $120 for one.

Just tested it, no issues, fully functional.

For now, that's what wah I use!!! Cheers, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Whoa! Score!

Indeed. It has been my experience over and over that if you look, you will find.

I do my tour at least once a week. I don't always find cool stuff, sometimes i find nothing.

My best returns to date - Fresno CA Starvation Army. Bought a Gurian guitar that needed work for $65. Sold it as-is on ebay for nearly $1,300.

And up here in sleepy Bellingham I found a vintage ukulele (Ernest K Kaihi Co went out of business in 1920) for $5. I got $600 for that, as-is (cracked but repairable).

What I love about thrift stores is you don't have to worry about stuff being stolen, crooks do not donate their stolen items to thrift stores.

Today I did my "tour" of the local thrift stores.

Found a Dunlop 150Q, Cry Baby Bass Wah in white. Very nice condition, battery compartment clean.

With tax it was $7.60. Sweetwater wants almost $120 for one.

Just tested it, no issues, fully functional.

For now, that's what wah I use!!! Cheers, Kuru

giphy.gif

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

• 2 months later...

With all the whirlwind events happening over the last few weeks, I almost forgot to post about my recent (Pre-Covid) acquisition. I dropped my son off for a choir performance, and around the corner was the local Music-Go-Round store. Spent a little time checking out some guitars, and saw a few wah pedals to try. Sure, my prior posts said I was looking for a switchless wah, so I tried a Morley Tremonti power wah. It was OK, but not amazing. They also had a Snarling Dogs Fire Bawl 2. This one doesn't have all of the bells & whistles of some of their other models; just a volume knob for some gain. And it uses an on-off switch under the pedal. BUT...

The sweep of the pedal, physically was better than my Vox, and the Morley, and other Crybaby pedals I've used. So was the sound - full functioning across the sweep. I could get that Roine Stolt wah sound (Look him up - Flower Kings; Transatlantic; Agents of Mercy; The Tangent...). OK, as close to that as I can with my limited abilities. Could it have been the combo of Gibson SG - Wah - Ampeg Reverb Rocket amp? Maybe. But I liked it a lot. Decent price ($85). And both LED's in the dog's eyes work, too.

Sold.

I haven't had time to add it to the board, but I've been told I should be able to get some electric playing in this week or weekend. (Mostly been playing upright bass during this isolation time, when I get the chance.)

Once again, ignore preconceived notions (I want a switchless, more compact wah) and go with what gets you the sound you want.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

With all the whirlwind events happening over the last few weeks, I almost forgot to post about my recent (Pre-Covid) acquisition. I dropped my son off for a choir performance, and around the corner was the local Music-Go-Round store. Spent a little time checking out some guitars, and saw a few wah pedals to try. Sure, my prior posts said I was looking for a switchless wah, so I tried a Morley Tremonti power wah. It was OK, but not amazing. They also had a Snarling Dogs Fire Bawl 2. This one doesn't have all of the bells & whistles of some of their other models; just a volume knob for some gain. And it uses an on-off switch under the pedal. BUT...

The sweep of the pedal, physically was better than my Vox, and the Morley, and other Crybaby pedals I've used. So was the sound - full functioning across the sweep. I could get that Roine Stolt wah sound (Look him up - Flower Kings; Transatlantic; Agents of Mercy; The Tangent...). OK, as close to that as I can with my limited abilities. Could it have been the combo of Gibson SG - Wah - Ampeg Reverb Rocket amp? Maybe. But I liked it a lot. Decent price ($85). And both LED's in the dog's eyes work, too.

Sold.

I haven't had time to add it to the board, but I've been told I should be able to get some electric playing in this week or weekend. (Mostly been playing upright bass during this isolation time, when I get the chance.)

Once again, ignore preconceived notions (I want a switchless, more compact wah) and go with what gets you the sound you want.

I tried a Snarling Dog a while back, don't remember which model but I liked it too.

I've had some time with my Dunlop Bass Wah now, both with guitar and bass. Recording with it brought an annoyance to light, something I hope I can adjust. The auto-switching doesn't kick in until the pedal is depressed about 1/2" or so. That may not matter much for live work but it sucks for recording!!! The biggest downside is that it also switches off around 1/2" from the top of the travel. Unless care is taken with foot technique you get this instant change from deep wah tone to normal tone and then back again. Very annoying!

So, I am committed to the idea of repairing my Tech 21 Killer Wail. It does use a footswitch but when wah is on it covers the full sweep. With the 3 way voicing switch - Deep - Extended - High it's very versatile and with the humbucking arrangement of the inductors it is very quiet in terms of self-noise.

My other option now is learning more about the wah options in my Peavey Vypyr VIP amps - I have a VIP 1 and a VIP 3. I also have both Sanpera pedals - the 1 and 2. Whatever the generic preset is, it's a good sounding wah. It uses a switch so the wah is on and covers full travel.

Since these two are liable to become my "stere rig" due to the versatility (and great tones once you learn how to dial them in), it is a viable option. Some of the auto-wah options are kinda fun too in a limited way. Cheers, Kuru