Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Casio PX-S5000 possible ?

There have been several announcements for NAMM 2020 by multiple companies already.

Nothing from Casio yet, though.

As the PX-S1000 and 3000 have both been a success, would you say that the release of a PX-S5000 is imminent ?

Would be a logical replacement for the PX-560 (whereas the PX-S1000 and 3000 are the successors to the PX-160 and 360 respectively).

Would be interesting to see an PX-S5000. But I don't really see how they could improve all that much on the PX-S3000, keeping the same form factor and layout.

Any suggestions, ideas ? Just curious...

A long time ago, in a musical galaxy far, far away...

Eminent-Solina B412, Yamaha DX21, Yamaha V50, Yamaha U1

21st century...

Kawai CA58, Korg Liano, Arturia Minilab 3, Arturia Minilab MkII, Arturia Minifreak

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

don't really see how they could improve all that much on the PX-S3000, keeping the same form factor and layout.

Mod wheel, editable sounds (though unless they can fit in more of a display, it might require computer/iOS device for editing), hexlayers, a monophonic synth mode, more physical controllers, standard MIDI jacks, assignable outs (or at least sound panning), custom sample loading, maybe a tonewheel organ implementation... that's all stuff they already have in the MZ-X500. Plus MIDI zones (as in PX-5S or XW-P1) and maybe USB Audio interface. So there's plenty of options there! But I really do like the display they have in the MZ-X500/PX-560, I don't know if that fits in the new slim chassis.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I would like to see them finally update the PX-5S

I'd been hoping for a PX-5S update built around the improvements from the subsequent PX-560 and MZ-X500, especially the large touch screen interface they used for simpler operation, and expression pedal input. (The MZ also added monophonic synth operation, something of an organ engine, and some other upgraded sounds.) I hope they haven't abandoned that kind of touchscreen interface. Though now that I've gotten the PC4, I guess I'm not likely to be in the market for an upgraded PX5S anymore anyway.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I haven't played the CP4, ES-110, or FP-30 for any length of time, so I am not qualified to really discuss those.

Of MODX8/PC4/PX5S, I'd rank the Casio action on top, though the Kurz has a more solid (less bouncy) return, so to some extent, it depends what you focus on. Similarly, I like the Casio's more solid bottoming, but some people might prefer the Kurzweil's softer landing. I'd say the Casio also feels quicker. But the boards are so different in sounds, features, footprint, operational ergonomics, and price that as long as an action is "good enough" for someone, I think that, for most people, the rest is kind of academic in terms of making a real world choice. But if all I wanted was a lightweight board with a good action, I'd go Casio.

Looking back on the previous Privia models, the PX160, 360 and 560 were released in the same year (unless I'm mistaken, wikipedia source).

As the PX-S1000 and 3000 were released at NAMM 2019, exactly one year ago, and there has been no word of a PX-S5000 since, Casio must have something else up their sleeves... Or have they ?

21st century...

Kawai CA58, Korg Liano, Arturia Minilab 3, Arturia Minilab MkII, Arturia Minifreak

Very easy to upgrade the PX-5S when the time is right. They have years of compiled user feedback at the Casio forums. There"s literally user created lists of areas to improve. I guess the question is if they can make the $1-$1.5 price point they"ve carved out.

The one thing they should not do is stick this new slim action off the Sx000 series on it. It might be ok for some at sub $600. But it definitely can"t compete at +$1k.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

The one thing they should not do is stick this new slim action on it. It might be ok for some at sub $600. But it is definitely can"t compete at +$1k.

The PX-S1000 and 3000 are more for home use, I believe. It's a very good action for that, in spite of the shorter pivot point. At least this new action doesn't sound like you're playing on a typewriter, like the previous PX models.

On stage, of course, it doesn't matter, as the sound of the machine gun action is quietened by the sound of the PA system...

I'm very particular about things like that, and it's also the reason why I have a Kawai MP11SE.

21st century...

I agree that the path of the keys on the new action is quieter and less wobbly. But the pivot point and weighting do not swing anything like a piano and the dead spot at the back the keys is awful. I know I would not buy a PX-5S or 560 if it had this action. No way.

And I would never buy something with an action as noisy as a PX560.

So, quiet action AND the ideal pivot point. Hmmm... won't come cheap !

21st century...

To throw my unsolicited $0.02 in with the conversation between GuiliClayder & ElmerJFudd, I had the PX-S3000 but sent it back because I couldn't talk myself into liking the action. It was just too bouncy. More like a sub-par upright action than a grand. That, of course, is only my opinion and we know what everyone says about opinions :) . Some people really like the PX-S actions and that's fine. Neither one of us is right or wrong

To throw my unsolicited $0.02 in with the conversation between GuiliClayder & ElmerJFudd, I had the PX-S3000 but sent it back because I couldn't talk myself into liking the action. It was just too bouncy. More like a sub-par upright action than a grand. That, of course, is only my opinion and we know what everyone says about opinions :) . Some people really like the PX-S actions and that's fine. Neither one of us is right or wrong

Yes, there are reasons it appeals or doesn't for different purposes. As Clayder suggests - getting the motion less wobbly and less noisy but keeping the piano-like playability without the dead spot must be the goal for the +$1k models.

Yes, there are reasons it appeals or doesn't for different purposes. As Clayder suggests - getting the motion less wobbly and less noisy but keeping the piano-like playability without the dead spot must be the goal for the +$1k models.

We'll save that beer for another time ;):cheers:

21st century...

I know I'm always the "odd man out" when it comes to these discussions about keybeds, specifically pivot point.

I have a PX-S300. It is my gigging 88 note board. It was controlling PianoTeq 6.whatever, and now controls Keyscape. It does so beautifully. Whether I am playing the first movement of Moonlight Sonata, or Prelude/Angry Young Man, I have no issues. Yes, the pivot point is where people say it is. Apparently I just don't notice it.

I do like the fact no matter what I am playing, and no matter how much fortissimo, no key wobble and no clacking like my PX5S. Again, I get along just fine with my PX5s as well.

An offshoot.... I also had no problem with the oft criticized Krome or King Korg keybeds. I guess subconsciously I just immediately adapt to the board in front of me.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

There have been several announcements for NAMM 2020 by multiple companies already.

Nothing from Casio yet, though.

As the PX-S1000 and 3000 have both been a success, would you say that the release of a PX-S5000 is imminent ?

Would be a logical replacement for the PX-560 (whereas the PX-S1000 and 3000 are the successors to the PX-160 and 360 respectively).

Would be interesting to see an PX-S5000. But I don't really see how they could improve all that much on the PX-S3000, keeping the same form factor and layout.

How to improve the pianos? Easy to answer. Have audio over USB. The Numa Compact 2 series has it and so does Dexibell"s line.

Thanks for the share. The Celviano line gets a little bump this year.

"The new GP-510 and GP-310 models enhance the sound of these sought-after instruments with longer, more natural decay, ensuring each sustained note tells as complete a story as you intend. And with a newly enhanced six-speaker Grand Acoustic System, the new models reproduce deeper, richer bass tones while enhancing the clarity of midrange and treble frequencies. When the volume is adjusted, each speaker is automatically optimized to strike the perfect balance you'd expect from a meticulously maintained grand piano. Other notable features include a newly enhanced harpsichord Tone, equalization options, an improved Concert Play mode and more!"

These are competitive console type digital pianos. I've had the pleasure of sitting at them at the Sam Ash on W 34th St in NYC. The action plays nothing like the PX-S1000. :deadhorse: (also true of a P125 vs. a Avant Grand) The shop actually has a very good selection of DPs and pro keyboards to try out. Highly recommend if you're in town.