Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland RD-88

I was waiting for when they will release a new affordable RD after the pricey 800 and the even priceyer 2000. This might be just the thing for our church band. I still find the EPs lifeless though.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

It DOES look good. Not a big fan of Roland APianos (sound-wise, but I do like the Roland actions)but it might be a good casual (restaurant and other low profile) gig board IF the price is right ($999) or less.

$1199 street and 29 lbs? Hmmm....

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

The Roland website shows the MainStage integration as intentional and by design. Also, wasn't there just a thread here praising the PHA-4 action?

Speakers are 6W each, and look tiny by the photos. Not sure how useful they'll be for anything but personal practice.

I like the more compact form factor and the lighter weight. I wonder how customizable the SN pianos are.

The Roland website shows the MainStage integration as intentional and by design

Okay good for a controller, but what are you hearing in the video? There are 3 posibilites, a virtual instrument, the piano processed by a plugin or just the instrument.

I'm commenting on the demo, I'm sure it is a fine board. But you don't really know by that video.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

I applaud efforts to put quality sounds and weighted action in more portable streamlined packages, but wish they would go "all the way" and make it a 76er without speakers. The dream lives on. I can see why the PHA4 action might lead someone choose this over the sub-30 lb competition.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

PHA-4 Concert Keyboard: with Escapement and Ebony/Ivory Feel is on the RD-800.

I prefer it to the PHA-50 Keyboard: Wood and Plastic Hybrid Structure, with Escapement and Ebony/Ivory Feel (88 keys) on the RD-2000.

I think Roland is all in on their V-Piano modeling. I believe they use it across the digital piano line now. - home models and the flagship stage piano.

This RD-88 is an interesting development as a controller - perhaps for some more so than the A-88 they just released.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I applaud efforts to put quality sounds and weighted action in more portable streamlined packages, but wish they would go "all the way" and make it a 76er without speakers. The dream lives on. I can see why the PHA4 action might lead someone choose this over the sub-30 lb competition.

Even though it"s 400 more than the Casio px3000, I"d take this over the Casio any day

Better keyboard

Better interface

Better controller

only downside is 8lbs heavier, but I"ll take heavier weight for better features

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

Even though it"s 400 more than the Casio px3000, I"d take this over the Casio any day

Better keyboard

Better interface

Better controller

only downside is 8lbs heavier, but I"ll take heavier weight for better features

I"m interested in this one, too. I like the Bluetooth connectivity, plus what appears to be lighter action. SuperNatural tweaking to both AP and EP. Not a lot of photos yet, nothing on Sweetwater (and they usually are right on it), no user manual yet.

Rush entry to NAMM?

Here for the gear.

Street Price $1,199.99 - this is a problem for some competitors for sure.

Sound GeneratorZEN-Core

SuperNATURAL Piano

SuperNATURAL E.PianoParts3 partsTonesScene: 400

Tone: Over 3,000EffectsZone Multi-effects: 3 systems, 90 types

Zone EQ: 3 systems

Zone Tone Color: 3 systems

Scene Multi-effects (IFX): 90 types

Sympathetic Resonance

Chorus/Delay: 8 types

Reverb: 6 types

Master Compressor

Master EQ

Input Reverb

Input EQOther FunctionsFavorite

Rhythm Pattern

Song Player

MIDI Master Keyboard

DAW ControlOTHER SECTIONControllersAssignable Wheel x 2

Assignable Control knob x 8

Master Volume knob

Damper Pedal

Assignable Pedal x 2Rated Power Output6 W x 2SpeakersFull Range 12 cm x 2

Tweeter 2 cm x 2DisplayGraphic LCD 128 x 64 dotsExternal Storage DeviceUSB flash driveConnectorsPHONES jack: stereo 1/4-inch phone type

OUTPUT jacks (L/MONO, R): 1/4-inch phone type

MIC INPUT jack: 1/4-inch phone type

LINE INPUT Jack: Stereo miniature phone type

Pedal (DAMPER, FC1, FC2) jacks: TRS phone type

MIDI OUT jack

USB MEMORY port

USB COMPUTER port (supports USB MIDI/AUDIO)

DC IN jackPower SupplyDC 12 V: AC adaptorCurrent Draw1,500 mAAccessoriesOwner's manual

Leaflet "USING THE UNIT SAFELY"

AC adaptor

Power cord

Pedal SwitchOptions (sold separately)Stand (KS-12, KS-10Z)

Pedal (DP-2, DP-10, EV-5, RPU-3)

Carrying Bag: (CB-88RL, CB-76RL)

Headphones

USB Flash drive (*)SIZE AND WEIGHTDimensions1,284 (W) x 258 (D) x 159 (H) mm

50-9/16 (W) x 10-3/16 (D) x 6-5/16 (H) inchesWeight13.5 kg / 29 lbs 13 oz (excluding AC adaptor)

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I'm glad to see a real button interface, a move away from either scrolling or using the piano keys as controls, as has gotten so common on the lightweight slabs. And 5-pin MIDI. (But only Out?)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

MIDI OUT only is weird.

But 3 parts is better than 2.[/quote

My RD-64 also has MIDI out only, also. Hopefully the RD-88 will allow you to use an expression pedal for onboard sounds, something you can't do on the RD-64. But overall, an updated, 88 key version of the RD-64 appeals to me because I really like my 64, I just seem to connect with it- and definitely have NEVER been a Roland fanboy. Have thought about asking here which Roland 88 is most like the RD-64.

A successor to RD300nx in something close to the FP30 shell.

Pretty sure this is the first 'RD' with built in speakers.

I honestly think they should have gone with an internal power supply though, since RD is the pro line. Sure, it would add a few lbs (and a few £) but I could have lived with that.

I just have no interest in having to carry external power supplies. I know it doesn"t bother some people but it"s a dealbreaker for me.

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

nothing on Sweetwater (and they usually are right on it)

There you go ;)

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RD88--roland-rd-88-88-key-stage-piano

Thankya, thankya vurreemuch. I wonder how much actual SuperNatural editing is possible? I was able to tweak out many inherent Roland AP cheese, and EP artifacts, even with the RD700. The RD64 had no sound shaping capabilities.

Here for the gear.

I honestly think they should have gone with an internal power supply though, since RD is the pro line. Sure, it would add a few lbs (and a few £) but I could have lived with that.

I just have no interest in having to carry external power supplies. I know it doesn"t bother some people but it"s a dealbreaker for me.

Seems they could have swapped the internal speakers (anyone here really need/want those?) for an internal power supply. But I get that the external power supply makes it easier to bring to market.