Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sequential Hybrid Pro 3

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

THIS might actually be the Dave Smith Synth that I actually connect with!

Moog ladder filter?

is this the first appearance of the MLF on aDSI instrument?

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

Having sold my Pro-2 some months back, I bought one literally last week when Guitar Center was blowing them out cheaply. I really like the Pro-2 - had seller's remorse in its absence, but I STILL covet one of these.

Biggest drawback compared to the Pro-2 seems to be that you cannot use more than one filter at a time. Current budget does not permit an impulse purchase for me, If I feel like this can fill the shoes of the Pro-2 AND one of my other monos I may just take the leap and pocket a little dough.

Also cannot wait to hear it. Wonder if the VCOs are the same as the P6......

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

I"m looking forward to hearing this beast as well, and will likely own one before long. Hybrid designs appeal to me a great deal and I will be shocked if the effects section doesn"t include a digital filter or two to complement the selection of analog filters.

Acoustic: Shigeru Kawai SK-7 ~ Breedlove C2/R

MIDI: Kurzweil Forte ~ Sequential Prophet X ~ Yamaha CP88 ~ Expressive E Osmose

Electric: Schecter Solo Custom Exotic ~ Chapman MLB1 Signature Bass

Oh boy, yet another exciting new product to distract me for a half hour of listening when I get home tonight. This one really seems to be a collection of all of the best bits from past DSI synths, with some new stuff thrown in for good measure. So it may solve the dilemma of which one to buy, that kept throwing itself at me with their last few releases.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Hacing looked at, more listened to, this video

[video:youtube]

I wouldn't say it's the Bangles singing Day Tripper to a Hard Rock band sound, but there's something *wrong* with it, especially if I'd take it as A Prophet. Maybe when people thought blibs were potentially fun, and to be used with taste things turned out better.

I don't have the impression there's studio tuning specifically in this one, some strong sound elements, but, I don't know, weird. Not that I wouldn't covet some of the wonderful Pr0-1 effect sounds and melodic and rhythmic elements that people just can't get enough from, but I don't have a clue this machine can do that, or "normal" synth things! Might be fun to try out.

T.V

I am very interested in this one... it looks like the Mono Evolver successor that I have been waiting for for a long time. 32 mod slots, analog distortion, internal PSU (a big plus for me), 3 filters, no silly "Character" section... and price doesn't seem excessive. I would have done without the paraphony (yawn) and the f***ing sequencer, but they don't bother me - I'd just ignore them. :D

From I can gather from looking at the panel, the filters can only be used one at a time, right? No stereo path, no series/parallel configuration, just choose one. A real pity.

And - I assume there will be no "Encoder Edition". Groan. I *strongly* prefer encoders to pots on an instrument with patch memory.

All in all, though, I find this thing extremely attractive. Both demos so far sound awful to my ears, but on the other hand, I thought the same of the Evolver demos for years, before finally playing one in person ( :wave: Dave). GAS is mounting. :freak:

What a time to live in for synth players!!

Ah, the Mono Evolver comparison is what I almost went for myself, but didn't dare do so without having the time for a direct comparison.

Thanks for pointing out that it has pots vs. encoders. Good point also about how the Evolver demos sounded awful, unlike the real thing.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Thanks for pointing out that it has pots vs. encoders.

By looking closer at the panel, it looks like it has a few encoders too (the knobs which have no marks around them): The two auxiliary envelopes, the "Shape Mod" control for the 3rd oscillator, and the controls for Effects, LFOs, and Mod Matrix. Perhaps the big Cutoff knob too?

Also noticing: No audio rate modulations. No FM, no RM. They could be hidden in the Mod Matrix, though.

In the Evolver, the Mod Matrix was so powerful. You could use Noise as a source (modulate the cutoff for thunder and lighting). You could use Distortion as a destination (modulate from an envelope for extra hoomp). I hope this kind of flexibility is retained in the Pro 3.

Good news: Seems it can do FM and AM from the mod matrix.

Also, a couple of somewhat better demos are out.

(Public message to self: Stop messing with this thing, or you'll end up spendind money that you don't have. Big troubles ahead.... :hitt: )

There are two different models. Does anyone know the MAP on the two units?

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

There are two different models. Does anyone know the MAP on the two units?

Mike T.

$1599 and $2099.

That doesn't seem to be all that expensive. Back in 1981 I paid $3200 plus tax for my Prophet 5 Rev 3.2. At that time that was considered a "very aggressive" price for a Prophet 5.

The good new is.I still have it. Whats more, it still works!

Cheers!

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

No Stereo outs? No XLR connectors?

One of the things that I loved about my Oberheim's back in the day was there were stereo outs. It panned left/right and sounded very cool when using sample and hold filter and other patches that benefited from Stereo. My Prophet 5 had one out, no stereo.

Only one Filter at a time? What about KB splits?

Mike T,

One of the things that I loved about my Oberheim's back in the day was there were stereo outs. It panned left/right and sounded very cool when using sample and hold filter and other patches that benefited from Stereo. My Prophet 5 had one out, no stereo.

Mike T,

You"re looking to split a 3 octave monophonic synthesizer? Just checking :cheers:

There is stereo out, but since the voice channel is not stereo, I guess it's from the effects only. I hear pan movement in the demos, so I guess there's a 'pan' parameter among the mod destinations - but I have no idea if it's global or per oscillator.

So yes, one filter at a time.

Mike T,

You"re looking to split a 3 octave monophonic synthesizer? Just checking :cheers:

Yes. Layers are also welcome.

Mike T.

Someone mentioned better demos, but I didn't find them on YouTube (just two mostly-talk reviews, and the one posted above), or at Dave's website.

I'm not sold on the demos I've heard so far, as so much of it sounded same-same. But I desperately want to NOT like this board, as the Voyager seems enough for covering analog sounds.

At the time I got out of synthesis as a main thing, I swore I'd never buy another board unless it had three oscillators like the Moog. And now here we are, so what do I do? :-)

Am I the only one who thinks the standard edition looks better? Somehow the wood-and-black combination just doesn't work for me for this one, due to the specific shades (possibly not accurately represented on-line due to lighting considerations etc.), and I'm not sure I'd want a tilted frame anyway for cheapo knobs.