Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dean Zelinsky guitars?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see discrepencies in the text vs the photo.

Text mentions 22 frets, photo shows 24.

Text mentions master volume and tone = 2 knobs. Photo shows 3 knobs.

At the very least shoot them a line and ask about those two things. That way you can be clear as to what you will recieve.

Personally I have reservations about the magnetic force with all those pole pieces. The pickups will need to be lowered quite a bit to avoid intonation problems that cannot be corrected with the saddle adjustments and get worse the higher up the neck you go. Very common problem with many guitars, not singleling this one out. Cheers, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I"ve handled a few in the wild, but not for very long. I"m interested enough to get one myself- I like DZs work in general- but haven"t pulled the trigger.

Given the discrepancies between description and images, I suspect the picture came from the website, and isn"t the actual guitar for sale.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Nice looking guitar at a nice looking price. I really enjoyed watching the 4 minute video on the Z-Glide Neck! Very cool...I don't think a lot of people have had experience playing one Mark. If you pull the trigger on one, be sure to give us a review. Too bad Dean Z doesn't let people send him their necks to get the laser treatment (maybe he does?) but in the video he says the only way to get a Z glide neck is to buy one of his guitars direct. Thanks for the info! :thu:
Take care, Larryz

I agree that it looks great.

I recently put the Graph-Tec Ratio tuners on a vintage Dean. Clean install, easy to put it back to stock (Klusons).

It was the flat bodied version that came before the Cadillac but the same Les Paul with an mini Explorer horn shape.

Dean Z definately knows what he is doing, was not knocking the guitar above, just guitar tech oberservations.

Mainly you just want to know what you are getting. Cheers, Kuru

I bought the Zelinsky Strat copy model. Very pretty sunburst. The neck was unplayable, it fretted out around the 11th fret. I took it to my luthier & he confirmed a couple high frets, but said it may also be a slowly warping neck. He could file the frets down, but feared I'd be back in a couple months to fix the same problem again. Then he walks across his shop & pulls out another customer's Dean Zelinsky guitar, exact same model as mine, & it had exactly the same problem. Oddly, mine was made in Indonesia, the other identical guitar was made in India, but had exactly the same neck issue on the same frets. I decided to send it back. In the meantime the Zelinsky site asked me to write a user review on the guitar. I described it as it was, pretty, but not playable as it was delivered, due to fret problems. They never printed my review. They also needed to be reminded several months later that they had never sent my money back. They eventually did. I would never do business with them again. Printing only positive reviews on their site is, in my eyes, inherently dishonest, intentionally misrepresenting their guitars. The customer service was inattentive at best. But mainly, the guitar was substandard as delivered. I would highly recommend you pass.
Scott Fraser

I bought the Zelinsky Strat copy model. Very pretty sunburst. The neck was unplayable, it fretted out around the 11th fret. I took it to my luthier & he confirmed a couple high frets, but said it may also be a slowly warping neck. He could file the frets down, but feared I'd be back in a couple months to fix the same problem again. Then he walks across his shop & pulls out another customer's Dean Zelinsky guitar, exact same model as mine, & it had exactly the same problem. Oddly, mine was made in Indonesia, the other identical guitar was made in India, but had exactly the same neck issue on the same frets. I decided to send it back. In the meantime the Zelinsky site asked to write a user review on the guitar. I described it as it was, pretty, but not playable as it was delivered, due to fret problems. They never printed my review. They also needed to be reminded several months later that they had never sent my money back. They eventually did. I would never do business with them again. Printing only positive reviews on their site is, in my eyes, inherently dishonest, intentionally misrepresenting their guitars. The customer service was inattentive at best. But mainly, the guitar was substandard as delivered. I would highly recommend you pass.

Dang that's an unpleasant tale. Glad you got your money back anyway. Thanks for sharing.

Music With Marky - A YouTube Channel For Guitarists Who Want To Make Better Music

I have bought almost all of my guitars on-line (too many to list LOL!). I have only had to send two back over the many years. Usually a $60 set up solves any little problems and makes the guitar a much better player. I have bought two guitars that had some issues that had to be dealt with (I won't mention the brands). I could have sent them both back but I liked/loved them too much! So, I took them to my tech(s) and got estimates for the work. I still have and love both of these guitars. One of them had similar fret issues described above. It cost me $80 bucks to have them filed and polished. But the guy I deal with a SW gave me more than $80 off the price of the guitar. The other one had some wiring issues that cost me $100 to correct. The company credited my card for $100 when I sent them a copy of the invoice. Sometimes it's worth fixing! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I have bought almost all of my guitars on-line (too many to list LOL!). I have only had to send two back over the many years. Usually a $60 set up solves any little problems and makes the guitar a much better player. I have bought two guitars that had some issues that had to be dealt with (I won't mention the brands). I could have sent them both back but I liked/loved them too much! So, I took them to my tech(s) and got estimates for the work. I still have and love both of these guitars. One of them had similar fret issues described above. It cost me $80 bucks to have them filed and polished. But the guy I deal with a SW gave me more than $80 off the price of the guitar. The other one had some wiring issues that cost me $100 to correct. The company credited my card for $100 when I sent them a copy of the invoice. Sometimes it's worth fixing! :cool:

I've found that to be true too. I got one shipped that was so messed up it was unplayable and a $60 setup fixed it right up.

Music With Marky - A YouTube Channel For Guitarists Who Want To Make Better Music

I've found that to be true too. I got one shipped that was so messed up it was unplayable and a $60 setup fixed it right up.

A guitar that costs over $1k should not need a $60 setup. Taylor and Yamaha both sell much less expensive guitars that are consistently set up very well.

I will concede minor tweaks to suit preference but the situation Scott describes does not sound like that at all. The frets should be perfect out of the box for that kind of money.

If they are not, a prompt refund is in order.

I would keep looking if I were you...

A guitar that costs over $1k should not need a $60 setup. Taylor and Yamaha both sell much less expensive guitars that are consistently set up very well.

I will concede minor tweaks to suit preference but the situation Scott describes does not sound like that at all. The frets should be perfect out of the box for that kind of money.

Brand new, I agree. When they are used - like off reverb.com however - I think it's understandable.

Brand new, I agree. When they are used - like off reverb.com however - I think it's understandable.

Yes, used is another subject.

Condition is listed as Brand New.

And honestly, the first thing I do with any guitar that I am going to own or sell is level, crown and polish the frets so they are perfect. Perfect frets are not optional in my world.

I've been working on guitars for well over 40 years so it doesn't take me long to have level, round, shiny frets with smooth ends.

But I can't even remember the last time I bought a new guitar!!! :- D

I"d wonder about that 'brand new'-DZPL sells directly to its American customers via their website. I think they use Thomann in Europe.

I mean, it could be an unplayed 'case queen' and still be technically brand new, but I"d personally call that 'mint'.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

I"d wonder about that 'brand new'-DZPL sells directly to its American customers via their website. I think they use Thomann in Europe.

I mean, it could be an unplayed 'case queen' and still be technically brand new, but I"d personally call that 'mint'.

Maybe they aren't getting the traffic they want. Reverb is popular.

Technically new guitars that cost more than $1k should have perfect frets every time.

Scott Fraser's story indicates a QC problem. It may be fixed.

It also indicates a Customer Service problem (slow to refund and needs prodding). That may be fixed too.

I wouldn't be inclined to find out because what if those issues are not fixed?

And honestly, the first thing I do with any guitar that I am going to own or sell is level, crown and polish the frets so they are perfect. Perfect frets are not optional in my world.

I've been working on guitars for well over 40 years so it doesn't take me long to have level, round, shiny frets with smooth ends.

But I can't even remember the last time I bought a new guitar!!! :- D

Totally agreed on the fret dressing!

Totally agreed on the fret dressing!

Yeah, I think when I play an A on the 10th fret & the guitar gives me a Bb or B, that's somebody not doing their job checking the shipments coming in from Indonesia. PRS gets phenomenal quality out of their Indonesia facility. It's not impossible to stay on top of that stuff, but Zelinsky isn't getting it done.

Scott Fraser

I like what Dean did at DBZ. I haven"t played any of the new ones. I figured they would play like DBZs.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I have bought all of my guitars brand new. The usual charge for a set up is $60 however many of my new guitars only cost me $25 as very little bench time was needed. But all of them benefited greatly by having them set up by very qualified techs and luthiers. I recommend a good set up. At least have your guitar looked at if you have any doubt about the way it comes out of the box, even though it's a new guitar.

I have 5 Taylors all of which benefited by a set up. 3 of them had problems that I discovered and had to have fixed by Taylor factory qualified luthiers (not my usual guys who are also very qualified) in order to not void the warranties. Taylor stands behind their products and is a great company. I still have all 5 and they are not for sale. None of them had fret problems. The guitar with the fret problems was a Takamine. As I said I love the guitar and would not send it back for a refund . It cost $1,000. The Taylors cost $1,500 to $2,000. I do agree that the fret problems Scott describes (and the one I describe) merit a refund without question, if you want to return the guitar for a refund. MF has the best return policy and I have returned one Epiphone and one Fender to them. They will send a mailing label and pay the shipping on returns and stand behind their products. SW sets up their guitars before shipping and does inspections. I have an Epiphone ES-175 that had output jack problems by the factory purchased via SW . I had my guy fix the issue for $25 bucks and still enjoy playing it. It cost $1,000 with 57 Gibson US Humbuckers and upgraded pots. It keeps up quite well against a Gibson ES-175 that cost $4,000. Brand and price is not a factor IMHO.

Anyway, just sharing a few stories that all ended quite well. When you get a guitar in your hand that you really like, don't let go of it...have fun! :cool:

Take care, Larryz