Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nord Wave 2

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

KLONK

4 parts

Sample synth engine with Nord sample library and option to add user samples

VA engine

FM engine

Wavetable engine

Polyphonic Arpeggiator

Semi-weighted waterfall keybed with Aftertouch

And...

61 keys

Morph and impulse morph

Multiple oled displays

Greatly improved effect section

And lots more, still have to go in depth in the specs and manual.

Looks like a monster synth, in the league of the Prophet X or Quantum, but of course with Clavia's typical performance-first approach.

I'm worried to hear about the price...

KLONK

4 parts

Sample synth engine with Nord sample library and option to add user samples

VA engine

FM engine

Wavetable engine

Polyphonic Arpeggiator

Semi-weighted waterfall keybed with Aftertouch

And...

61 keys

Morph and impulse morph

Multiple oled displays

Greatly improved effect section

And lots more, still have to go in depth in the specs and manual.

Looks like a monster synth, in the league of the Prophet X or Quantum, but of course with Clavia's typical performance-first approach.

$2699 USD @ Sweetwater

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

This looks to be a nice follow on to the original Wave, with more of everything and modern improvements (finally a split function!). I see it has an arp (also something missing from the original) but I do wonder if it is missing a sequencer (I don't recall any Nord products having sequencers). Something like the sequencer on the new Wavestate would be pretty awesome
Nord Stage 2EX | Nord Wave | Mainstage | Key Largo

Needs (...) some waterfall keys

It has waterfall keys, actually ;)

This looks to be a nice follow on to the original Wave

Don't forget the Wave only had two "slots", with layering but no splits.

This has four slots with layers and splits, so it's like 2x original Waves, and then some.

This has four slots with layers and splits, so it's like 2x original Waves, and then some.

Yes most of us Wave owners wanted a "2" just for splits!

Agreed. The architecture looks quick similar, but with more of everything (like the extra 2 layers as you say)

Nord Stage 2EX | Nord Wave | Mainstage | Key Largo

Interesting option for a new 61 key VA polysynth with flagship build and aftertouch in the same general pricepoint as the new Roland Jupiter X.

They are different animals, but the Jupiter X still looks cooler, in my opinion.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

Needs (...) some waterfall keys

It has waterfall keys, actually ;)

Oh and so it has....

NW2-Top.png

Maybe nice paired with the HX3 drawbar expander.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Looks like a real winner that fills many gaps in the Nord product line and was worth the wait from the original. Maybe a good modern synth that performs many duties?

Also reasonably priced for what it does..... so unlike Nord!

Maybe they will reissue the Modular?

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

KLONK

I think that would be too much credits, if the synth engine is the same as the Nord A1. I really like my A1, but it is limited in terms of routings and modulations, not on par with the above mentioned synths. I really want to have a high res picture of the front, so I can read the texts, or even better, the manual. Really curious about this.

EDIT: on further read on the specifications, It seems they improved some limitations of the A1 in this synth, as ADSR envelopes, ability to send different layers to through the same filter etc. So it might really be a serious step up! Exciting!

Rudy

Looks like a great product at an ambitious price. True to form for Nord, I guess! Would have been great with Nord's clonewheel model in there, above a Nord Piano or Grand.

Cheers Mike.

Yea, that. A great upper tier instrument that combined organ and synth engines. I'll wait to read more. If it has even a decent MIDI implementation, perhaps it can be a controller to the Stage's organ. I'd be ok with that.

Price is a bit rich though. May have to wait a few years for the price to come down or for a used market to open up.

If it has even a decent MIDI implementation, perhaps it can be a controller to the Stage's organ. I'd be ok with that.

Yeah, I'm guessing that's their thought process for putting the waterfall keyboard on it. Although if you are putting it above an HA 88, you are still missing drawbars.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

If it has even a decent MIDI implementation, perhaps it can be a controller to the Stage's organ. I'd be ok with that.

Yeah, I'm guessing that's their thought process for putting the waterfall keyboard on it. Although if you are putting it above an HA 88, you are still missing drawbars.

It's probably time they stuck a proper synth engine section inside the Electro and be done with it. Either that or make a desktop or rack version of this Wave 2.

Maybe some heat from the YC61 and others shooting for that all in one board will motivate.

I think this is the first full-fledged synth with a waterfall keybed. If I was starting from scratch I could see pairing this with an Electro, or any bottom board that has good organ. How often do you play organ and synth at the same time? Speaking for myself, that's not in my bag of tricks. So the W2 midi'd to an Electro would give you a very complete but also very streamlined set up.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

The only reason I use a second board is for organ and synth and orch sounds - it amazes me that this specific combo has been directly addressed so rarely. I don"t want or need APs and EPs on such a board - their presence is useful in a pinch or to bring one smaller lighter board, so I don"t scoff when there"s a piano section. But the priority is getting the pads, leads and basses I need and doing a good job at organ.

That's strange; I didn't realize it had only had one version so far. So I guess Access Virus is now the only VA synth that hasn't been updated or replaced in eons.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I can't remember if it's compatible with PPG Wave and/or Waldorf Wave. My vague recollection is that Nord Wave v1 was meant to be an evolution of that design and could load the wavetables from them and maybe work with them in a similar way.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

In the US this is a no brainer at $1899. But at $2600 there"s a hesitation.

But that"s Nord pricing here. Not sure how much tariffs and shipping adds to this but that"s the way it"s always been for US customers. So you either bite that bullet or you look elsewhere.

In the US this is a no brainer at $1899. But at $2600 there"s a hesitation.

But that"s Nord pricing here. Not sure how much tariffs and shipping adds to this but that"s the way it"s always been for US customers. So you either bite that bullet or you look elsewhere.

Nord is Swedish so no tariffs same for Dexibell being Italian.

Really, you all are gonna bitch about the NW2 price!?!?!

It"s a VA, sampler and wavetable synth all in one!

With 4 part layering!

Nothing else except MAYBE the Sequential X really is in the ballpark and THAT is way more expensive than THIS!

Honestly, I haven"t done a point-by-point spec sheet comparison between the X and NW2, but if you look at the NW2s intended purpose:

Loading the Nord Sample Library and being able to tweak it more deeply than on any other nord board

Wavetable Synth

VA synth

61 Waterfall keys

Considering what it does combined with the build quality, 2600 is NOT that steep.....

I"d have thought around 23-2400 but I"m not gonna whine about 200 more dollars because I half expect a 'NORD TAX'

C"mon, you all should know by now that you pay at either the front or back end with ANY piece of gear and I, myself, opt for the front end so as to not be on the resell/return/trade merry-go-round!

Robert Bosch, 1919