Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rise Of Skywalker

A lot of people really hated VIII, whereas it was far and away my favorite Star Wars film since the original trilogy. It's because it built its whole narrative around change, evolution, and destruction, and tried to take the Star Wars universe to a new place.

RoS very deliberately walked all of that back, and I thought that was not only a missed opportunity, but a cowardly storytelling decision.......

I thought Rise of Skywalker, on the other hand, was a lot of cameos and callbacks. Not what I had hoped for after a film that was so committed to reinventing the series for a modern time, and opening the franchise up to new ideas. More concerned with "look, this is Star Wars, can't you tell?" than truly developing the arcs of the characters and ideas the first two films had introduced. Stilted dialogue and pacing issues aside, it seemed much more concerned with being full of things that everyone found inoffensive than trying to tell a story.

After a week or so of reflection, this is where I come out now too.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been almost two weeks since I've seen the movie and I'm still not settled on how I feel about it. Technically (special effects, etc.), I find little to complain about. Musically, I cannot recall a single riff from Williams' score, but at least part of that is the way it was mixed--the music wasn't as prominent as it was in, say, IV (which I've just rewatched), where the music is so far forward in the soundtrack as to almost warrant being a walking, talking character in its own right. In IX, it's below everything else. The acting's good. It's the plot/direction that divides me.

I am not fully aligned with either the critics or the audiences, which seem to be at odds this time.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

A lot of people really hated VIII, whereas it was far and away my favorite Star Wars film since the original trilogy. It's because it built its whole narrative around change, evolution, and destruction, and tried to take the Star Wars universe to a new place.

RoS very deliberately walked all of that back, and I thought that was not only a missed opportunity, but a cowardly storytelling decision.

I ended up watching it again over the holidays with my son, and these are my feelings too. The most cowardly (and hack) scene was right after the confrontation. I mean really... Rey had just witnessed

the man she loves save her life and then die in her arms

and all we get is a standard Star Wars victory celebration - with Rey smiling along with the rest of the resistance? A scene of true sadness, reflection, growth... those are tough to write (and apparently out of JJ's grasp) but would have made all the difference in the world as to how this movie (and trilogy) ends.

The acting's good. It's the plot/direction that divides me.
As one of the New York Times critics pointed out, watching Daisy Ridley and especially Adam Driver flex their acting muscles to try to sell you on the story in a convincing way is one of the joys of the film, and a testament to their chops.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

The movie made other characters sacrifice for nothing and Kathleen Kennedy should have never been allowed near it.

If there was any planning to the trilogy as a whole (which is debatable) it was to kill off Han, Luke, and Leia one by one so the series could move on with new characters. Each got their own death scenes in successive movies to draw this out as much as possible.

Adam Driver

could not have survived because he's made it clear that he wants no part of future Star Wars projects, and hopes people will forget he even did the role. Fat chance of that... this is Star Wars after all.

Anyway I think a lot of this was baked in the cake.

Rise of Skywalker has been dubbed cinema's first "billion dollar disappointment". It's not earning where it was projected, and I've read serious questions about whether Kathleen Kennedy will be heading Lucasfilm for much longer.