Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Pianos at the Mayo Clinic...

So, if any of you have the fortune (or misfortune) of finding yourself here at the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota, USA, get this:

There's a Bösendorfer grand in the massive, multi-story lobby of the Mayo and Gonda Buildings - it is mint and in perfect tune. AND... staff, patients, and visitors are welcome to play the piano, provided you limit your playing to 30 minutes and play music that is appropriate for the setting. The lobby is open during business hours Monday thru Friday, and I've been thrilled to be able to play it. I hadn't played an acoustic piano since we sold our house about a year ago and had to sell the Yamaha U3 when we moved into an apartment. So it goes.

I was here all last week, and was asked to stay over until Tuesday,... it's rather empty here on the weekends. However, there's another piano - a Steinway grand in another building lobby area that is accessible 24/7! Although it is a bit out of tune this was truly a find. Although my better playing days are behind me, and I hit a few clunkers, I was absolutely overjoyed to find a piano to play! An unanticipated treat, and much needed given my current situation.

[video:youtube]

Michael

Montage 8, Logic Pro X, Omnisphere, Diva, Zebra 2, etc.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it interesting that they would have such high end instruments available. I could see something more mid-line, but Bösendorfer and Steinway? Cool.

Grey

There's a sign on the BÅsendorfer saying that it was donated - Otherwise, I imagine some people would wonder why a medical center would spend so much on a piano. I imagine it is the same with the Steinway.

Michael

Montage 8, Logic Pro X, Omnisphere, Diva, Zebra 2, etc.

Yep, I played that piano when my Mom was there a couple years ago. A nice respite on those long days.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

...There's a sign on the BÅsendorfer saying that it was donated - Otherwise, I imagine some people would wonder why a medical center would spend so much on a piano. I imagine it is the same with the Steinway.

I recently spent a few weeks at the Cleveland Clinic Main Campus and there is a grand piano in their lobby also, but I did not have the opportunity to play it. The Cleveland Clinic satellite campus where I go for follow-up also has a piano in their lobby.

Interestingly enough, my heart surgeon is also a classically trained pianist that routinely plays in competitions, and I try not to think about the expectations that might be on the child of such an over achiever.

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

I've been to a few hospitals in the past few years, but the pianos are usually of the "Do Not Play" variety. :(

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI