Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GEM Promega 3 compatible pedals?

Hello!

I still have a GEM Promega 3 standing around here. However, the pedal isn't working reliably any more. Anyone having some recommendation/experience to share about what currently available pedals work with this gem? I primarily need a damper pedal, possibly with half-damping ability.

TY!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used Studiologics SLP3-D triple for my Pro 2. If you don't need the variable damper they have NO and NC models.

Amazon has them

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

Fatar in Italy manufactured the pedals for Generalmusic. I probably have the specs for the continuous damper pedal somewhere. I am about 1100 miles from my office right now but should be able to look through thing by Tuesday. Or you could just try contacting Fatar and the may be able to tell you the mtruth del you need to order.

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

• 3 weeks later...
I bought the Roland DP-10 pedal now. It has a 6.35mm stereo plug and I had to reverse the contacts for left and right "speakers" to make it work.

Left and right speakers? I'm not understanding your correlation.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I think he means he had to reverse polarity on the pedal wiring to make it work. I"ve got a triple pedal set from my defunct prp800, and the box saya VFP3-D, which corresponds to a current Fatar model number. This pedal set would be really nice for the occasional classical gigs I do on my CP4. I use the yamaha half-damper sustain pedal and an fc5 for soft pedal. I can"t do 3 pedals on the cp4 ( and there isn"t much need for Sostenuto pedal in the primarily 19th century repetoire the gigs), so I want to use the middle pedal with my Airturn, for page turns.

Well, I tried it, and everything is backwards. The damper sustains when I release the pedal, and the effect I used for testing was engaged when I released the pedal. This jives with the description on the box - 'Open Momentary Switches + 1 Damper Potentiometer'. Seems like the switches are momentarily open when depressed and Yamaha wants closed when pressed. I"m going to make a 3 jack adapter box to address the problem.

To summarize for OP, looks like the GEM keyboards expect pedals that are open when depressed, and most pedals are the reverse. You can definitely still get the Fatar StudioLogic triple pedal. If your GEM doesn"t support half-pedal, you probably should get the VFP3-10, which looks like 3 momentary switches ( no potentiometer needed if no half-pedal, and it might not work right with the potentiometer ).

Sometimes keyboards do a scan of the pedals during powerup. Try holding down the pedals and powering on the keyboard. Once the keyboard is powered up release the pedals and then see if they work normally, i.e. correctly. This may save you from having to re-wire the pedal.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Yeah, I had to reverse the polarity. The GEM Promega 3 senses the type of pedal at startup, though I doubt it senses polarity.

However, when looking at the continuous controller MIDI data, I never see any 0's. The lowest I get is a 4 out of the MIDI control range 0...127 when the pedal is fully released. And even that is not on a consistent basis, often I only get a 6 or 8. Is there any way to calibrate the continuous controller input using some GEM Promega configuration option?

Seems like I have to revert to switch mode unless someone can come up with a verified solution.

for my CC on my GEM Equinox I get 0-121 using a CC expression pedal. I have not found a way to stretch the extra 6 on the back end within the configuration of the Gemini. My Equinox also does not sense polarity; there is a configuration option in settings that you indicate whether the sustain is normally open or normally closed. I'm surprised the Promega doesn't have this same option so that you don't have to rewire the sustain pedal; just choose normally open or normally closed in the pedal configuration menu.

Delaware Dave

Exit93band