Music Player Network
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Do You LISTEN????
#3023011 01/10/20 08:30 PM
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 100
Senior Member
OP Offline
Senior Member
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 100
Sharing what I posted today on my Michael Molenda Musician/Producer Facebook Page...

Hey, guitarists! Try this exercise. Instead of spewing massive quantities of notes all over a song intro, melodic riff, counterpoint hook, textural piece, or solo section, restrict yourself to playing less than ten notes and incorporating a huge chunk of silent space throughout the part. Think catchy rather than showy. Consider being a friend to the song, instead of grandstanding. Be a sensitive musician, rather than a LEAD guitarist. Just food for thought here. Give it a try and see if you dig the results.

Something else to ponder: It remains a mystery to me after all these years why so many guitar players go off vomiting rapid-fire fusillades of notes the instant a band mate or songwriter starts showing them a new tune. There's no "listening" it seems—just a knee-jerk physical reaction to "Oh boy, some harmony to blast over!" I'm not saying you shouldn't be that person—simply that you should be the person that takes a breath, listens, absorbs, calculates, and FEELS before unleashing the onslaught. Have fun!

GP Island
Re: Do You LISTEN????
GuardiansGuitar #3023070 01/10/20 11:39 PM
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 8,820
Likes: 68
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 8,820
Likes: 68
Originally Posted by GuardiansGuitar
Something else to ponder: It remains a mystery to me after all these years why so many guitar players go off vomiting rapid-fire fusillades of notes the instant a band mate or songwriter starts showing them a new tune.

That's a softball question. The answer is they've never listened to Miles Davis smile

Re: Do You LISTEN????
Anderton #3023087 01/11/20 12:41 AM
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 21,361
Likes: 162
4x KCFFL Champ
20k Club
Offline
4x KCFFL Champ
20k Club
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 21,361
Likes: 162
Originally Posted by Anderton
The answer is they've never listened to Miles Davis smile

idea yeahthat puff

dB

Re: Do You LISTEN????
GuardiansGuitar #3023162 01/11/20 05:31 PM
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 1,597
Likes: 54
Platinum Member
Offline
Platinum Member
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 1,597
Likes: 54
I am the lead guitarist in my current band, was the lead guitarist in the last 4 bands that come to mind.

I also sing and write songs. Musical clutter is a pet peeve of mine, up there with "phoning it in" and "playing it just like the record." The last one is especially peeving if you then play your lazy version of what you though the record sounded like. Ugh.

It has been my experience time and again that people just want a good groove and the chorus to be loud and clear. They are not worried about the details and those who are will find something "wrong" with you even if the dance floor is full of smiling faces.

The last lead guitarist in the band I'm in now would "practice riffing" while the singer was singing and/or play the same chords in the same position with the same strum as the singer.
Useless.

The "Rules" are simple.
1 Serve the Song
2. Whatever I do, don't do that
3. Serve the Song


There is never enough time to be in a hurry...
Re: Do You LISTEN????
GuardiansGuitar #3023241 01/12/20 03:30 AM
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 21,361
Likes: 162
4x KCFFL Champ
20k Club
Offline
4x KCFFL Champ
20k Club
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 21,361
Likes: 162
There are very few things that make me happier than playing music with people who listen. It's so cool when the music breathes - a whole different experience than playing with those who live for volume wars.

dB

Re: Do You LISTEN????
GuardiansGuitar #3024866 01/21/20 05:34 PM
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 12,625
Likes: 11
10k Club
Online Content
10k Club
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 12,625
Likes: 11
The lead guitar player is the one that determines how they will play their leads. He or she is the one that was hired to do so. The band can always make suggestions on whether or not the leads are too busy, too loud, too fast, too slow, out of tune, out of key, practice vs jams vs performances, [Insert suggestion]. The same holds true for the drummer, bass player, rhythm guitar player, keyboard player, lead singer, writer, etc., issues will always come up and the band has to address them while enjoying the time they spend with each other. I would not play in a band that does not like what I do, or thinks that I don't listen. I tell them my philosophy up front and not to hire me if they want me to sing or play differently, as I would not enjoy it. I do listen to band and audience suggestions and will give them a try.

I'm a rhythm guitar player and lead vocalist. I can play some improvised lead guitar if needed. I like to improvise and arrange my songs and do not play them like the record. I have few rules...

1). The person singing the song will determine what song they want to sing
2). The key they will be singing it in
3). The arrangement
4). Everyone's instrument volume must stay under the vocals (lead instrument parts may be louder when they come up, if needed)

cool


Take care, Larryz
Re: Do You LISTEN????
GuardiansGuitar #3024914 01/21/20 08:38 PM
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 5,426
Likes: 5
MP Hall of Fame Member
Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 5,426
Likes: 5
Originally Posted by GuardiansGuitar
Sharing what I posted today on my Michael Molenda Musician/Producer Facebook Page...

Hey, guitarists! Try this exercise. Instead of spewing massive quantities of notes all over a song intro, melodic riff, counterpoint hook, textural piece, or solo section, restrict yourself to playing less than ten notes and incorporating a huge chunk of silent space throughout the part. Think catchy rather than showy. Consider being a friend to the song, instead of grandstanding. Be a sensitive musician, rather than a LEAD guitarist. Just food for thought here. Give it a try and see if you dig the results.

Something else to ponder: It remains a mystery to me after all these years why so many guitar players go off vomiting rapid-fire fusillades of notes the instant a band mate or songwriter starts showing them a new tune. There's no "listening" it seems—just a knee-jerk physical reaction to "Oh boy, some harmony to blast over!" I'm not saying you shouldn't be that person—simply that you should be the person that takes a breath, listens, absorbs, calculates, and FEELS before unleashing the onslaught. Have fun!


I am trying to limit my wanking, and actually am starting to feel the melody instead of ripping off some more notes. At 77 years old I am trying to learn the use of new different shaped picks and playing melody instead of trying to use speed to be impressive . One is never too old to learn I guess.........


dbm
If it sounds good, it is good !!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=143231&content=music
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick
Re: Do You LISTEN????
GuardiansGuitar #3024945 01/21/20 10:41 PM
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,457
Likes: 1
MP Hall of Fame Member
Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,457
Likes: 1
I listen!

As a kid, my guitar heroes were Andy Summers, Mike Campbell, Peter Buck, Elliot Easton, James Honeyman Scott and Robbie MacIntosh, Tom Verlaine and Richard Lloyd, Billy Bremner and Dave Edmunds, Elvis Costello, Glenn Tilbrook, Andy Partridge and Dave Gregory, the various dudes in Wings and The Beatles, Keith and Brian and Mick and Ronnie from The Stones, Dave Davies, Chris Stamey and Peter Holsapple and Gene Holder, Alex Chilton and Chris Bell, Hilton Valentine, Brinsley Schwarz and Martin Belmont, Will Saergent, The Edge, Mick Jones, Paul Weller, Robbie Robertson, John Perry, Johnny Ramone, Richard Thompson, Marshall Crenshaw, Gary Sanford from Joe Jackson's band, Mike Skill & Coz Canler from The Romantics, Pops Staples, Steve Cropper, Jamie West-Oram, Johnny McGhee and all of those great disco and soul rhythm guitarists...

Some of those guys never played a solo. The songs were the important thing to me.

So, instinctively, no... I never start wailing on a song intro or when someone is showing me a song... I listen and try to do something that helps the arrangement and texture and mood, but I'm a singer-songwriter at heart, anyway...


Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.4