Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Decent Analog Polysynth (on a budget)

Been looking around at getting something lately. I play in a classic rock cover band so I would kind of like to be able store patches. I've also been starting to record synth-wave kind of music and building a little home studio.

I like the idea of it having built in EFX like Reverb, Delay, etc.for live use.

Thinking -

Behringer Deep Mind 12 or 6 - 12 voices seems like kind of a lot for my needs but maybe it's worth it.

Korg Minilogue XD - the small keys don't seem too great so I was considering getting just the module and supplementing it to my pre-existing rig if it's not too hard to do. The Prologue looks nice but it's kind of spendy (and heavier for gigs).

anything I'm missing? I wish I could afford something more high end but it's not realistic for my budget at the moment.

Some of the Behringer re-issue synths look pretty fun but don't seem to store patches. Thanks for reading.

dreamcommander.bandcamp.com

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Deepmind is probably your best bang-for-the-buck here. I've had mine for over a couple years, and I love it.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, SY77/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

Deepmind 12 is really, really good, and nothing is better documented with great video tutorials.

I bought mine new for 525---with keys. Just call the dealer.

It's not multi-timbral--it can't play more than a single patch or preset at a time, Aftertouch is hard. Every other aspect exceeded my expectations. It has taught me synth fundamentals in a very fun and rewarding way.

I have some stuff I've made where the keyboard sensitivity becomes....highly enhanced. The mod matrix allows alot of creativity.

I have not even got to the control sequencer....

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

Deepmind 12 is really, really good, and nothing is better documented with great video tutorials.

I bought mine new for 525---with keys. Just call the dealer.

It's not multi-timbral--it can't play more than a single patch or preset at a time, Aftertouch is hard. Every other aspect exceeded my expectations. It has taught me synth fundamentals in a very fun and rewarding way.

I have some stuff I've made where the keyboard sensitivity becomes....highly enhanced. The mod matrix allows alot of creativity.

I have not even got to the control sequencer....

Really, that's good to know. Which dealer do I call for that price? Behringer directly or someone else?

I don't need multi-timbral I have other boards for that. Thanks for the info!

Behringer Deep Mind 12 or 6 - 12 voices seems like kind of a lot for my needs but maybe it's worth it.

If you want to be a purist about two osc per voice patches being exclusively DCOs, the DM12 voice count is halved to 6. If you're considering either, go with the 12. At the moment, it's the very definition of a decent analog poly synth on a budget.

Call sales reps for the best quotes. Lowest prices are usually given verbally.

I pre ordered my Deepmind12 at full introductory price and got a first mass-run, low serial number specimen. The price dropped way lower about a year later, then rebounded a bit recently. Even at full price, I find the thing a real bargain and have been very happy with it. I've strongly considered a second one, perhaps the module, to run in series, that would double the polyphony, but there are so many other tools and toys that are of extreme interest to me.

The choices are rather overwhelming (in a wonderful way), but I whole heartily agree with the comments above that DM12 is the best bang-bang-for-the-buck poly analog synth currently on the market.

If you want to be a purist about two osc per voice patches being exclusively DCOs, the DM12 voice count is halved to 6. If you're considering either, go with the 12. At the moment, it's the very definition of a decent analog poly synth on a budget.

I'm not sure I totally understand but it sounds like if you want to engage both oscillators at once you can only play six notes at once? So therefore with the DeepMind 6 you can only play three note chords with both oscillators engaged. Do I understand your meaning?

This is helpful info. Thank you.

What's being discussed is unison mode. The 12 has 12 voices, but there are several unison modes that allow you to stack them in various ways. So, to stack two sawtooth waves, you'd have to set it to Unison-2, which equals 6-voice polyphony.

If you use both oscillators, you still get 12 voices, but only oscillator 1 has saw and pulse, oscillator 2 is a square wave, but with interesting possibilities.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, SY77/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

^Yea that's basically it. If you want two analog oscillators per voice (like for classic synth patches), you turn osc 2 off (by reducing it's level to 0), set polyphony for unison 2, and edit away. Practically everything I've done on that synth is in that configuration - which is why I recommend the DM12 over the 6 because for standard stuff the 12 is a 6 voice.

I think the sounds on these things are excellent, but they're not the easiest synths to get your head around - hence the budget part of the equation.

My eye is on the prophet rev2 if I ever get an analog (or VA) synth again...because I've always wanted a Prophet since I was a teenager and I love the sound...but my friend's Deepmind 12 is a fantastic deal. Nice build quality too with an internal power supply, aftertouch iirc as well.

Minilogue regular. Has both 2 and 4 pole filter but no digital waveform unlike XD. I have the original Minilogue and it has the right filter for brasses and bass except it"s better at sub Basses and not Rez Basses. Let"s see for classic rock, which songs do you play that have certain synths? That would be the thing that the Minilogue does well at.
Yamaha MX49, Casio SK1/WK-7600, Korg Minilogue, Alesis SR-16, Casio CT-X3000, FL Studio, many VSTs, percussion, woodwinds, strings, and sound effects.

What's being discussed is unison mode. The 12 has 12 voices, but there are several unison modes that allow you to stack them in various ways. So, to stack two sawtooth waves, you'd have to set it to Unison-2, which equals 6-voice polyphony.

If you use both oscillators, you still get 12 voices, but only oscillator 1 has saw and pulse, oscillator 2 is a square wave, but with interesting possibilities.

^Yea that's basically it. If you want two analog oscillators per voice (like for classic synth patches), you turn osc 2 off (by reducing it's level to 0), set polyphony for unison 2, and edit away. Practically everything I've done on that synth is in that configuration - which is why I recommend the DM12 over the 6 because for standard stuff the 12 is a 6 voice.

I think the sounds on these things are excellent, but they're not the easiest synths to get your head around - hence the budget part of the equation.

This is really helpful info. Thank you for elaborating.

Minilogue regular. Has both 2 and 4 pole filter but no digital waveform unlike XD. I have the original Minilogue and it has the right filter for brasses and bass except it"s better at sub Basses and not Rez Basses. Let"s see for classic rock, which songs do you play that have certain synths? That would be the thing that the Minilogue does well at.

Some songs we do are Africa, Baby Come Back, Ride Like the Wind, Fox on the Run, Don't Bring Me Down, Maneater, Misunderstanding... nothing majorly synth heavy but there will be synth parts in certain places that are important.

I have to admit the OG Minilogue is pretty tempting for the price. There would be some workarounds with less options than Deepmind and the mini-keys aren't my favorite but potentially worth it.