Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Do Any Songs Bring You to Tears?

This is an offshoot from some comments in the thread about songwriting...are there songs that bring you to tears? I don't mean something situational, like a song you heard when you had your first kiss or whatever - I mean a song you connected to the first time you heard it, and every time you've heard it thereafter, you still get the same reaction. It's even better if you have no idea why it affects you...it may not even be the kind of music you like. There's just SOMETHING about it.

I figure I might as well kick this off, at the risk of personal embarassment in case you listen to any of these and think "wow, they suck, what's wrong with this guy?" This is all pop-oriented material because on the face of it, there seems to be nothing that out of the ordinary about these songs. I don't like them because of production values, cool solos, whatever; nothing cerebral is going on.

Why do they get to me? I have no idea. Maybe it's because the parts that really get to me don't kick in until later in the song, so I'm taken aback. Maybe it's because I feel the performances are real, the songs mean something to the singers, and that comes across. Who knows.

I HIGHLY recommend if you listen to any of these, DON'T look at the videos...just listen to the music. The videos are distracting.

Time After Time - Granted the performance is excellent, but I've heard covers that are done nowhere near as well, and the song still gets to me.

[video:youtube]

Heaven Outside My Door - This is one of those songs where I thought "it's okay, nothing special" until it hit the chorus.

Biggest Fan - This first time I heard this, it brought me tears. I have no idea why, it's a frickin' Vegas entertainer. But I get the same reaction every time I hear it.

Pray for the Lost and the Lonely - My attitude has absolutely nothing to do with the subject matter, normally I file "message songs" under "don't listen to again." But again, there's something about this song's feel that just seems so effing real.

Your turn...maybe there's some common thread, and we'll unlock the key to songwriting here :)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally dependent on the conductor and orchestra:

Dvorak's 9th symphony

Tchaikovsky's 6th symphony

Prokofiev's "Romeo & Juliet Concert Suite"

And a few others.

Some pop songs have moved me as well, I just can't think of them right now. I'm sure a few minutes after I click Post they will com to me.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

When Eva Cassidy starts belting out, unleashing the full power of her voice - ProfD on the other forum says he knew half the players on this track:

September 15th by Metheny-Mays - everyone I've played this track for comments on how sorrowful it sounds, without knowing that Pat and Lyle recorded this upon hearing of the passing of Bill Evans (pianist). A bit of it was used in this movie:

An interesting thread, here are a few:

One that I played a great deal after my father died - "Sérénade mélancolique" by Tchaikovsky. The recording I have is with Artur Grumiaux.

"Dido's Lament" from Dido & Aeneas by Purcell.

From Handel's Theodora, "With Darkness Deep."

From La Wally by Alfredo Catalani, "Ebben. N'andrò lontana".

Strangely, as I have no religion ...

The adagio from Bach's Easter Oratorio (BWV249) an amazing contrast to the sinfonia preceding it.

Parts of both the St.John and the ST.Matthew passions.

And others.

Akai EWI 4000s, Yamaha VL70m, Yamaha AN1x, Casio PX560, Yamaha MU1000XG+PLGs-DX,AN,VL.

There are plenty of songs by Marillion that have done this. Made Again; Neverland; part of The Leavers. But this one... it gets me almost every time.

Andrew Peterson has some moving ones, too. The culmination of his "Behold The Lamb of God" album/concert usually gets some water works, be it in sorrow or joy, from the whole work. But as a single song that can do it, well appropriate song title aside, the Andrew Osenga harmonies on the last verse push me over the edge here.

Glass Hammer has several songs about greater truths that move me ugly at times. Part of it is the lyric, part of it is the majesty of the music.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Back in the '80's my best friend and I were at Six Flags St. Louis a few days after his father passed away. He'd been away from home and was not able to be with his Dad at the end.

Unbeknownst to us, this band had a concert that evening in the park that was free with your park admission and we decided to attend. When they played this song two grown-ass men both broke down. Still happens when I hear it. Every Time.

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

Back in the '80's my best friend and I were at Six Flags St. Louis a few days after his father passed away. He'd been away from home and was not able to be with his Dad at the end.

Unbeknownst to us, this band had a concert that evening in the park that was free with your park admission and we decided to attend. When they played this song two grown-ass men both broke down. Still happens when I hear it. Every Time.

This for me as well.....ever since my dad died in '94. We kind of had the same type of relationship as this song describes. I've tried to sing it a few times over the years, but I've given up doing that. I can't get through it without crying......

"My Buddy" by Walter Donaldson, and Gus Kahn was played at almost all of the older jazz musicians' funerals when I grew up. I am generally not moved by the words of a song. The words are the last thing I comprehend, at first they are just articulations contributing to the music. But since this one has such an association with so many older mentors, it always makes me both sad to miss them and happy they touched my life.

I don't have any particular favorite version. This one is famous among jazzers.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

I have to mention that, when I'm writing songs, the ones that choke me up during the writing process are typically the better songs. Except for the intentionally amusing songs....

But here's five from people who are not me:

River of Tears - Clapton

How Can I Tell You - Cat Stevens

River Man - Nick Drake

The Dutchman - Steve Goodman performing Michael Smith song

Spring Wind - Greg Brown

nat

• 2 weeks later...

'Adagio for Strings" by Samuel Barber. Most versions I've heard have choked me up. It just seems to be raw, visceral, longing and mournfulness.

"In My Life" The Beatles

"8:05" Moby Grape. There's a episode in my life that is inexorably linked to this song.

"Long,Long, Time" Linda Ronstadt

That damn song from Titanic that Celine Dion sings. tears me up everytime.

There are a bunch, some of which are mentioned here. I am a very emotional listener, and love the catharsis; I tend to listen alone and on headphones for that reason.

But here's one that most folks won't know: from the album Common Ground by the Paul Winter Consort, "Lay Down Your Burden." I want this one played at my funeral.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

@Redwave - hope you don't mind, I edited your post to add links to YouTube videos.

@Mike Metlay: "I want this one played at my funeral." Given the number of years between now and your funeral, you might want to leave the door open to other possibilities :)

I love this thread. It's turning me on to all kinds of stuff. Keep 'em coming!

Vince wrote this for his brother.

We played a celebration of life for the nephew of a friend. Falcon sang this one and truly did it justice.

Uncle broke down and the rest of the family followed suit. It was extremely difficult to maintain any level of composure, I was blinking back tears myself.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

• 9 months later...

Thinking back to the early sixties, these two remind me still of my first love:

Nat King Cole and Stardust and also Somewhere along the way.

And now the purple dusk of twilight time

Steals across the meadows of my heart

High up in the sky the little stars climb

Always reminding me that we're apart

You wander down the lane and far away

Leaving me a song that will not die

Love is now the stardust of yesterday

The music of the years gone by

Sometimes I wonder why I spend

The lonely night dreaming of a song

The melody haunts my reverie

And I am once again with you

When our love was new

And each kiss an inspiration

But that was long ago

Now my consolation

Is in the stardust of a song

Beside a garden wall

When stars are bright

You are in my arms

The nightingale tells his fairy tale

A paradise where roses bloom

Though I dream in vain

In my heart it will remain

My stardust melody

The memory of love's refrain

Credited to Mitchell Parish.

--------------------------------------

I used to walk with you

Along the avenue

Our hearts were carefree and gay

How could I know I'd lose you

Somewhere along the way?

The friends we used to know

Would always smile "Hello"

No love like our love they'd say

Then love slipped through our fingers

Somewhere along the way

I should forget

But with the loneliness of night I start remembering ev'rything

You're gone and yet

There's still a feeling deep inside

That you will always be part of me

So now I look for you

Along the avenue

And as I wander I pray

That some day soon I'll find you

Somewhere along the way

Credited to Sammy Gallop

Not always, but when in melancholy mood they have the ability to bring a tear to the eye.

Whatever happened to sweet Susan, I wonder?

Akai EWI 4000s, Yamaha VL70m, Yamaha AN1x, Casio PX560, Yamaha MU1000XG+PLGs-DX,AN,VL.

This one is pretty much the only that does, and I'm not sure exactly why. Every time. "Never Forget You" by Zara Larsson.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments