Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

VIP Gear Reviews

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no reply option for the thread asking for review suggestions.

Yeah, I really enjoyed the format Craig Anderton did with essentially what you're talking about, doing a review as part of thread with questions and industry input.

I've always thought that reviews in magazines were just too limited. I want to hear from other expert users that have a different use and opinion, like someone who's gigging vs someone who's using their boards in their studio. And with so many possibilites with modern boards, it'd great to have more indepth reviews that explored the many options that take time and effort to learn.

One way of using standard forums that might work well is to have the main reviewer(s) post in the main body of the thread, with all its questions and responses. And if someone besides them want to add their own review, then on the first page in the first post there could be links that are updated as needed that gives you the urls to threads where others share their review.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

There's no reply option for the thread asking for review suggestions.

Are you sure? I logged in as you, and I can see the REPLY and QUOTE buttons.

I've always thought that reviews in magazines were just too limited. I want to hear from other expert users that have a different use and opinion, like someone who's gigging vs someone who's using their boards in their studio. And with so many possibilites with modern boards, it'd great to have more indepth reviews that explored the many options that take time and effort to learn.
That's pretty much what we have in mind. I believe Dr. Fortner is preparing to tee up on a new Hammond piece... :keys2:

One way of using standard forums that might work well is to have the main reviewer(s) post in the main body of the thread, with all its questions and responses. And if someone besides them want to add their own review, then on the first page in the first post there could be links that are updated as needed that gives you the urls to threads where others share their review.

We totally have that level of participation in mind. :cool:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Cool, they weren't there before but now they are.

Thanks for creating this new review format!

On a board specific forum I'm on there's lots of questions that get asked again and again. That's when I thought, well, have a sticky for answering various questions, and the sticky, on the first page and post, gives you the url for the various help questions that get asked, and then the same idea on those individual questions, more urls for links from various users that want to give their input on how to accomplish whatever the topic is.

The forum format has a lot of limitations, but this seems like a doable extension of the format!

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

This is excellent!

One thing: is there a way to make sure people who give the reviews have actually physically used the gear being reviewed. I see a lot of so called reviews from the general KC population from people who've never touched the gear; just read some marketing.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

This is excellent!

One thing: is there a way to make sure people who give the reviews have actually physically used the gear being reviewed. I see a lot of so called reviews from the general KC population from people who've never touched the gear; just read some marketing.

Not to worry - the reviews will be by the industry folks who are part of running/guiding this forum, not just submissions from members.

Jerry

This is excellent!

Well in a spirit of full disclosure, I often abuse the gear being reviewed as well.

I get really ticked off at a lot of the "reviews" I read online, even from "major [ahem] sites." I read a review of the best DAW for Mac, and I swear they had no clue what Ableton Live was about, and hadn't touched Studio One since version 3...Logic was considered the best DAW for Mac. Now, it's a great DAW, don't get me wrong, but to say anything is "best" is STUPID. I always think it's all about the right tool for the right job, which is why I use several different DAWs on a regular basis.

Which DAW is best? It depends on the type of project. Doh.

I also get ticked off when I see reviews showing screen shots supplied by the manufacturers. Was it really so darn difficult to capture a screen from the project you were "doing"?

I see a lot of so called reviews from the general KC population from people who've never touched the gear; just read some marketing.

I get really ticked off at a lot of the "reviews" I read online, even from "major [ahem] sites."

One of my pet peeves about the internet. Catalogs, too. I despise marketing ads disguised as "reviews".

Most reviews are a JOKE. With the names involved here I'm confident this will be an exception.

I know of one person who admitted he sold his synthesizer because he couldn't grasp how it operated, then would bash the synth anywhere there was a discussion on it.

Many audio samples with the review use external processing; while I don't frown on this, at least include this disclaimer!

I heard audio samples of a DX-7 claiming to pull off vintage analog synth sounds like Moogs and Oberheims. I have had flight time with FM synths and have intimate knowledge of the circuits of the synths being simulated, and I am skeptical that is even possible with FM. Even with external processing.

Here at the MPN, there will be lots of integrity.