Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

new ARP synth?!!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Gearslutz crowd is absolutely convinced that Korg will make a small single run of these full sized, then come out later with a compact panelled version (based on a photo leaked to some website.)

I just saw on IG Sweetwater saying it's a limited run. Guess it's a good way to test the market to see if enough interest in a mass produced version.

At $3900 a limited run is appropriate.

Speaking as someone who spent a lot of time on the original back when there were few other choices, this is not a synth I would care to revisit. But for those who do, here it is apparently.

• 2 weeks later...
I feel a bit bothered about 2600 cloning where I'm just observing with the rest. Among all of that general era's synths, the 2600 is a bit like a cello. Because its both immediate via the panel alone and then modular when you employ cord routing, it has feet in two worlds. I have Synth OCD like the rest of you huns, so I hate the idea that any form of 2600 may often wind up being decoration on top of someone's table full of mini-synths and laptops. It really is an analog workstation, even if prehistoric. You have to marry it for real. Hand over a ring or beat it back to your iPad.

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

My evil plan to make a Korg ARP 2600 the decorative centerpiece of my table, attended by mini-synths and iPads, was foiled by Zzounds, which took an order for an out-of-stock unit then auto-canceled the order.

I was so looking forward to taking a photo of my would be decorative 2600 on its table, and making it my profile pic so that everybody would see it all the time as I post at least 10x a day on the forum.

Adjusted for inflation, $3900 is cheaper than the original was.

And I couldn't afford it then, either.

Nor was I ready to tackle keyboards.

I bought a used double-neck Gibson (aka The Jimmy Page guitar) a few years ago and that's as much as I expect to ever spend on a musical instrument by a fair margin. $3.9k is well into the no-go zone, no matter how much I might want one. It'll be Behringer or nothing for me. It's not like I can write these things off my taxes--it's pure hip pocket expense.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

I don't like the lights on the Behringer version, among other things, so I'll wait for a lucky break on a Korg one, with the understanding that I might not ever get that lucky break.

And it's rack mountable and no keyboard and two filter banks (the early Moog-ish one and the later one) and it's got MIDI, etc. Yep, it's different. For me, the LEDs are okay. In fact, I think I may even like them once I learn the layout. I'll be able to drive it in the dark. This isn't a case where I feel the need to be a purist. All I'm after is the sound. It doesn't have to be a to-the-nth-degree reproduction that's indistinguishable from the original 2600. I played with a guy who had one back in the '70s and have a soft spot for them, but not so much that I have to go down that path.

I've got two Behringer Model Ds now and am experimenting with using a Mutable Instruments Yarns to drive them polyphonically (as opposed to the onboard Behringer polychain option). Gods forbid that I try to poly-whatever a brace of 2600s at $3900 a pop!

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

I've got two Behringer Model Ds now and am experimenting with using a Mutable Instruments Yarns to drive them polyphonically (as opposed to the onboard Behringer polychain option). Gods forbid that I try to poly-whatever a brace of 2600s at $3900 a pop!

Grey

I thought you'd be all over the new Behringer Poly D. Cheaper than 4 Model Ds, even though its actually paraphonic.

I don't like the lights on the Behringer version, among other things, so I'll wait for a lucky break on a Korg one, with the understanding that I might not ever get that lucky break.

The LED's on the Behringer 2600 are dimmable apparently.

I read that too. I'm sure peeps who buy it will like it - some anyway.

I tried to get on Zzounds monthly payment plan. Ironically, they actually approved me for it in the morning, then cancelled my Korg ARP order in the evening. I wanted the Korg because it's a self-contained instrument, doesn't have to be mounted in a rack or anything.

Grey

I thought you'd be all over the new Behringer Poly D. Cheaper than 4 Model Ds, even though its actually paraphonic.

Yeah...about that...I listened to the demos and the sound of it just didn't grab me. Like the Moog One, I wanted to like it, but it just doesn't sound right for some reason. I don't claim to know the circuitry in the Poly D, but it doesn't sound like the Model D--at least in the demos I've listened to. Different oscillators? Different filters? I don't know what's going on.

On paper the Poly is tempting. The reality seems to be slightly less enticing, at least to my ears.

Grey