Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New KORG SV2??

Context is everything (and many aren't mentioning it). I'm not a huge fan of the SV-1 (or I would have bought one), but its acoustic piano cuts through better than any I've heard on a digital board, in the context of jazz combos in the SF Bay Area. Its Rhodes also seems to be the most dynamic and warm, in that context. I wouldn't use it in a studio vs. better choices, for sure.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Context is everything (and many aren't mentioning it). I'm not a huge fan of the SV-1 (or I would have bought one), but its acoustic piano cuts through better than any I've heard on a digital board, in the context of jazz combos in thew SF Bay Area. Its Rhodes also seems to be the most dynamic and warm, in that context. I wouldn't use it in a studio vs. better choices, for sure.

Glad it worked for you. Maybe there was some sort of glitch, but I could barely hear that piano, even with the volume all the way up. My Casio PX5S cuts through WAY better

Kronos 88 Platinum, Yamaha YC88, Subsequent 37, Korg CX3, Hydrasynth 49-key, Nord Electro 5D 73, QSC K8.2, Lester K

Me & The Boyz

Chris Beard Band

Tucktronix, does this mean you used it for a jazz combo context? My point is that context is everything. Different sounds may cut through differently based on that. It's a big reason why we have choices of brands vs. everyone converging on the same choice. After all, it is partly about taste and feel, but also about what people end up finding works in their specific context.

I'm not arguing in favour or against the SV series per se; I simply think it's helpful if people include their usage context as that often is the most important point of all.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Tucktronix, does this mean you used it for a jazz combo context? My point is that context is everything. Different sounds may cut through differently based on that. It's a big reason why we have choices of brands vs. everyone converging on the same choice. After all, it is partly about taste and feel, but also about what people end up finding works in their specific context.

I'm not arguing in favour or against the SV series per se; I simply think it's helpful if people include their usage context as that often is the most important point of all.

No argument here..

It's a stage piano, right? It shouldn't matter which context you use it in. I play in blues bands where the drums, guitars and vocals are louder. If this instrument was only for a jazz setting, than it should be advertised as such. Now if I was playing in a metal band, then, yeah..

In case you were wondering, I do search for and use a piano suited for rock/blues.

Kronos 88 Platinum, Yamaha YC88, Subsequent 37, Korg CX3, Hydrasynth 49-key, Nord Electro 5D 73, QSC K8.2, Lester K

Me & The Boyz

Chris Beard Band

Sweetwater has pre-order showing prices.

and the Korg site has the weight listed for both the 73 and 88 key and with and without the speakers.

Andertons has a cool demo video with Luke from Korg playing it and he's making it sound great with layers, dig his playing the Simpsons Theme. Andertons videos are always fun to watch. Jump to 12:20 for the Simpsons theme.

[video:youtube]

Cool video! I don't dig the sound of it much at all though. I know a certain group of people love these boards and good for them. They sure have a cool vibey look. But even in the hands of this great player the sound is not for me.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Well, the first demo in the vid above is an acoustic piano. It is noticeably more dynamic and responsive to his physical input. I will need to play this and won't comment on how the RH3 interacts with their libraries until I've done so. Maybe they heard the whining?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Well, the first demo in the vid above is an acoustic piano. It is noticeably more dynamic and responsive to his physical input. I will need to play this and won't comment on how the RH3 interacts with their libraries until I've done so. Maybe they heard the whining?

Elmer, I"m hoping against hope for the same after watching the Anderton vid with Luke.

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

I want to watch ProfD play one because he has an SV-1.

At various MAKCF hangs he and others have commented on how the finger-key-feel-ear connections vary from person to person. I recall being surprised he chose an SV-1 over the Yamaha 'boards he was looking at, well, before that discussion anyway.

The SV2 is a nice upgrade to a performance keyboard that has been around 10 years. That alone is impressive. The increase in memory is a welcome addition, that could easily eliminate the need to carry a second KB. 64 Favorites instead of 8, a total of 72 total sounds.

I find it interesting that Korg decided to bring out a model with speakers that can be used for small rooms for solo players that don't need a lot of volume. The ability to shut off the speakers for larger gigs where it is necessary to have more than what comes with the SV2 is a plus.

I could see this instrument used by solo pianists that play Happy Hour in small rooms and need one KB and don't need to carry a lot of equipment. A soloist that sings can carry a very small PA set up that is light and portable. Jazz players in a Trio can make use of the KB too.

Korg has been stepping up to the plate.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Dan, would love your honest thoughts.

[video:youtube]

What kind of watch is he wearing?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Always interesting to hear everyone's thoughts on the SV1. I still have mine that I bought new in 2016 and I love it to death though it is no longer my main SP. Regarding cutting through, I initially thought I would have to send mine back because on stage with my 60's rock band I couldn't even hear it. I even emailed Adam Holzman for advice. Turns out the output is just so low to allow for more gain from the tube preamp. After cranking it up to slam my monitor it was almost too loud and powerful, even next to the guitarists Marshall stack. Response is magic voodoo AFAIC, and every time I play the Rhodes or Wurly it's magic. My first keyboard was a 200a. The AP is fine, nothing special. Really want to try this SV2 out.

Yes, looks like the SV1 leaves nobody neutral: either you love it, or you hate it ;-)

The SV2 is very welcome, but the Stage Piano market is already crowded like hell, which is good and bad at the same time.

The decision-making process gets very complicated, but hey, one should not complain to have choices, or should he?

Did anyone pickup what they said about the splits and layers?

You can layer three sounds across the keyboard.

You can also split and layer together but to what extent...

Presumably you can set just one split point and then have...

- any two sounds to the right of the split and any sound to the left

or

- any two sounds to the left of the split and any one sound to the right

Or are there limitations? Does it have to be one piano sound, one organ sound and one orchestral sound, for example?

Or could you have, for example, piano to the right and piano with bass to the left?

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

Not much of an update.

...though probably the biggest complaints people had were that it was weak on pianos, had few locations to store your own patches, and didn't really split/layer... all addressed. The only big one I'm aware of that's still there is that it's shape makes it awkward to handle and awkward to stack. OTOH, some people love its visual appeal. I guess you could say action too, but Korg simply doesn't make any better action... and if they come out with one, I would not be surprised if its dimensions differed enough such that it could not be retrofitted into existing housings.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

1) No

2" Yes

Not much of an update.

I'd call the switch to the Kronos pianos from the "cutting edge of 1995" pianos in the SV1 quite an update. For me the real question is how have they updated the EPs, and have they managed not to break them in the process? The Grandstage EPs certainly have better specs than the SV1 EPs, but they don't speak to me in the same way. If the new ones have retained the flavor of the originals while being technically upgraded, I would almost buy the board for them alone.

Did anyone pickup what they said about the splits and layers?

You can layer three sounds across the keyboard.

You can also split and layer together but to what extent...

Presumably you can set just one split point and then have...

- any two sounds to the right of the split and any sound to the left

or

- any two sounds to the left of the split and any one sound to the right

Or are there limitations? Does it have to be one piano sound, one organ sound and one orchestral sound, for example?

Or could you have, for example, piano to the right and piano with bass to the left?

I don't know but I can't imagine it'd be that limited because it's not like the Electro with 2 or 3 seperate engines where each engine is basically monotimbral. My guess is you could do whatever you want but not on the fly. I don't see the controls for creating splits/layers on the fly, only adjusting levels of the individual parts. I think you'd need to have everything created ahead of time using the software editor or go for the Grandstage.

Speakers or no speakers?

I think the speakers would be handy to have but I do prefer the all black version, which is only available in the speakerless version, just now at least.

Speakers is only on the 88k. So if 73 key is your preference, but you want speakers - you're going to 88. Also the color of the S version is cream.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

1) No

2" Yes

Not much of an update.

I'd call the switch to the Kronos pianos from the "cutting edge of 1995" pianos in the SV1 quite an update. For me the real question is how have they updates the EPs, and have they managed not to break them in the process? The Grandstage EPs certainly have better specs than the SV1 EPs, but they don't speak to me in the same way. If the new ones have retained the flavor of the originals while being technically upgraded, I would almost buy the board for them alone.

IMO, Korg can't do AP's. They do EP's great and I love the idea of the SV analog tweaking. The SV APs do not suspend my perception that I'm hearing a real piano. The size of the sample is obviously not the only factor when creating a sample set. Last but not least, the action on SV IMO is too sluggish.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

I definitely want to try the speakers but I doubt I'll dig them more than my headphones for personal practice and such. I also despise white keyboards. I'm curious if they're going to eventually offer limited color options with red and black keys like they did with the SV1.

Speakers or no speakers?

I think the speakers would be handy to have but I do prefer the all black version, which is only available in the speakerless version, just now at least.

Speakers is only on the 88k. So if 73 key is your preference, but you want speakers - you're going to 88. Also the color of the S version is cream.

Speakers available on both 73 and 88 versions

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3