Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Motion Sound horn speed decreasing

The fast speed of the horn on my Motion Sound KBR-3D has been getting slower. My bass player and I had opened it up awhile back and tweaked the internal settings to speed it up, but I think it's something mechanical gradually giving out, rather than how fast the amp "thinks" fast should be.

This amp was gigged heavily for over ten years before I bought it, so I'm not surprised it's ready for a little maintenance. That said, I'm not familiar with the mechanical ins and outs of rotary speakers, and it's my first "Leslie" so I'm not sure where to begin with addressing the issue. Find a tech who works on Leslies? Order a replacement belt or other part? Contact Motion Sound specifically?

Thanks for your help!

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can check the belt, you will have to take out the shelf and pull the whole top rotor section out to check it ...you probably did this as once as you said.

I'd check the belt, you can plug the unit in and watch it operate, if it's not the belt you can call MS and tell them the story if it's the motor..

I believe they sell replacements but it's getting a bit old by now...

I gigged one for about 7 years.

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

I do not have a MS speaker, so just shooting from the hip, but there is a product made for drive belts, called belt dressing. It is available as a spray that is easily applied, and is marketed to prevent drying and belt slippage. Might be worth a shot.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

Don't know if there's any similarities to an R3-147, (Motion Sound rack mount leslie) but I have one and the belt went on it a few years ago. Couldn't find a replacement so I sized up a comparable rubber O ring and tried that. Worked (and still working) like a charm.

MS sells the belts... just go to their website and call them, I bought a few spares once upon a time from them...

hopefully it's not the motor, even then, they may have a replacement for sale... maybe not!

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122