Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

F*** Roland

Sadly, there"s rarely a rigorous enough process at large companies for them to learn from their mistakes and fully attribute the impact of good decisions. By the time a bad move has hurt the bottom line there are a dozen conflicting explanations and the prevailing one usually has more to do with who is better connected internally to advance their agenda than anything resembling real evidence.

I know the symptoms really well but I can"t say I have easy answers. 'Buy from small companies' isn"t always workable advice, nor is it a uniformly good idea. Some level of disfunction accompanies growth, and probably always will.

Acoustic: Shigeru Kawai SK-7 ~ Breedlove C2/R

MIDI: Kurzweil Forte ~ Sequential Prophet X ~ Yamaha CP88 ~ Expressive E Osmose

Electric: Schecter Solo Custom Exotic ~ Chapman MLB1 Signature Bass

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The person in charge said "By the time they've opened the box and find the manual, they've already bought it, so it doesn't increase sales."

Besides Greg's excellent points that purchases are returnable if people don't understand how to use the gear, there's also the factor that, now that we have this new internet thing, people actually can look at the manuals before they buy to help them determine what their buying decision will be. Manuals shouldn't be seen as "merely" a support concern, they serve an important sales function as well.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

We should all be putting much more thought into our purchasing decisions than we actually do. Consumer choices are a potent means to assert our values, arguably even more so than voting.

Since buying my Fantom last week I've been going through all of Ed's Fantom videos. They're a helpful shortcut to understanding stuff I could figure out myself given enough time. The Fantom manual isn't actually terrible (I've seen far worse).

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Hello everyone!!!! As Monty Python would say, "I'm not dead yet!!!" While true that I was laid off, everything is okay between myself and how I feel about Roland. In fact, I am planning on moving forward to continue to not only support Roland keyboard users, but now I am planning on expanding to other manufacturers such as Yamaha, Korg, Behringer, and hopefully many others through my personal YouTube channel (www.youtube.com/eddiazkeys).

So as long as my fellow keyboard players will have and support me through views, and by watching the ads on YouTube, I will continue to help them by sharing the knowledge that I have and continue to acquire through my musical life experiences, in addition to the learning that I receive from many of the members of this network.

Thank you all for your support and lifting my spirit when I was down. I cannot express how much I appreciate your kind words.

Hello everyone!!!! As Monty Python would say, "I'm not dead yet!!!" While true that I was laid off, everything is okay between myself and how I feel about Roland. In fact, I am planning on moving forward to continue to not only support Roland keyboard users, but now I am planning on expanding to other manufacturers such as Yamaha, Korg, Behringer, and hopefully many others through my personal YouTube channel (www.youtube.com/eddiazkeys).

So as long as my fellow keyboard players will have and support me through views, and by watching the ads on YouTube, I will continue to help them by sharing the knowledge that I have and continue to acquire through my musical life experiences, in addition to the learning that I receive from many of the members of this network.

Thank you all for your support and lifting my spirit when I was down. I cannot express how much I appreciate your kind words.

Super! Thanks for letting us know and good luck!

(Subscribed...)

Rock bottom bass

Fakebook Pro Sheet Music Reader - at every gig!

Well hang in there as much as companies say "it's not personal" that's not how it feels. I am not sure what your particular situation is but I have been there and it sucks.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

We are, of course, completely delighted to have brother Ed in the house. :boing::wave:

As y'all can see, he's already been added to the MPN Advisory Board. We've been chatting a bit, and we believe it's possible that more than a few of his considerable skills could be quite useful right here at MPN. :2thu:

Stay tuned...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

:thu:

Great to see you here, Ed!

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Thanks Ed.

Ed Boyd here. Your new channel will be great with emphasis on multiple manufacturers. Some real fun can be had making multiple brands of gear talk to each other. You"re the best.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Subscribed a while back but glad to hear it's working out for you.

You're videos on the new Fantom line have been insightful.

Not purchased yet - awaiting a possible decent update before pulling the trigger.

Good luck Ed.

CP4 Stage | Integra-7

Great to hear you landing on your feet and moving forward. Just subscibed and rang the bell on your YT page and look forward to your always helpful posts.

Have a prosperous 2020!

Best wishes to you, Ed! One thing about all this that's a bummer is that it probably means I won't be bumping into you at stores anymore. It didn't happen much, but I always enjoyed it. :thu:

We are, of course, completely delighted to have brother Ed in the house. :boing::wave:

As y'all can see, he's already been added to the MPN Advisory Board. We've been chatting a bit, and we believe it's possible that more than a few of his considerable skills could be quite useful right here at MPN. :2thu:

Stay tuned...

:boing::2thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Me too, but that just means that we'll have to plan it!

Yep, I get towards your part of the state once in a while, as I'm sure you do mine.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Hey Ed....had no idea you were in New Braunfels.

One of these days when we're playing down in Austin or Houston I'll shoot you a note. Joe's been to a couple of our Houston shows.... and I need a replacement for him...LOL :w00t:

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

Ed, I haven't interacted with you before but am glad to hear that you will continue to be a resource for so many people who have expressed their gratitude for your support.

I've been trying to figure out how to word this without responses taking a turn into the political. I'll just say this....none of us could possibly know anything about the circumstances yet several people just KNEW what it HAD to be because it fit the preconceived narrative. I think in general, whether it's something like this, judging genres of music, artist talent, anything really, we should strive to squash preconceived opinions and wait for facts and be open minded. Corporations are often faced with competing interests and depending on your perspective, you may or may not agree with the decisions they make. Everybody deserves the right to communicate their opinion as to whether they like or dislike the decision, but nobody knows what the options were that were available or the true impact of the various options.

I only say this because while I'm nowhere near the level of senior management, my own company has had a lot of layoffs and I've witnessed management agonizing over these decisions and do everything they can to shuffle things and save jobs. I wouldn't want to have to do what they do. It's easy to picture a faceless entity or just picture them as evil villains, but in reality, they are people having to make difficult decisions. It sucks. In my position, my small group complains all the time about not having the resources to fill gaps in our product offering. If they ignore other interests and listen to us, they may let go people from some other department to give us what we have been insisting is imperative for the future of the company.

These things are always more complex than we, as outsiders, with no first hand knowledge try to make them. That's all I'll say.

But again, wishing all the best to Ed and based on the praises on this thread alone, I'm compelled to subscribe to the page and support him.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I'll add one more thing...I'm in a position where I'm in a relatively small group that acts sort of as a liaison between the field and the factory. A lot of times the challenge is supplying data to back up what we anecdotally know is true. We can say that "customers want this" or "customers value that" but when it comes to allocating resources and prioritizing things, they have to have a way to make decisions, Sometimes it's hard to get actual measurable data to support our own argument of what we know we need to do.

My suggestion is that anytime you feel like you have a good experience or value some resource, try to take the time to send an email or some sort of comment communicating that back. It's just one data point, but if everybody did it, then when decisions have to be made, they would get factored in. Otherwise, they have know way to qualify if a resource is valued by customers or not.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Hey Ed....had no idea you were in New Braunfels.

One of these days when we're playing down in Austin or Houston I'll shoot you a note. Joe's been to a couple of our Houston shows.... and I need a replacement for him...LOL :w00t:

:saber::chainsaw:

Subscribed.

Does this mean I don't have to return the JV-1010 I bought for 150 last night or the orchestral expansion card? Synthmania got me again. LOL

I mean BOTH the person and the condition!

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments.