Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Band on the Run (song) electric piano

Hey gang. I"ve read lots of info about the synths used on the original recording, however, haven"t found much about the electric piano(s). To that end, did the McCartneys play Rhodes and Wurlitzer? I think I can hear both types of electric piano

Cheers,

Canoe

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It does sound like Wurli + Rhodes on some parts, but mostly Rhodes to my ears. You probably heard this as well?

Around 38:00 you can hear what to me sounds like Wurli + Rhodes. It is interesting to hear the parts for sure. Credits say Linda played "Keyboards", while Paul only credited on Synths, but I'd be surprised if Paul didn't likely play keys too.

These multitracks are taking me back to (one of) my big Macca Wings/solo phase in early college. Feels so good.

Definitely interested in checking out some of the gear they used at the time, since it's less documented than the Beatles days, understandably. The Beatles often used a Hohner Electrapiano (I Am the Walrus, The Night Before, Come Together, etc) and learning that made me understand why I could never figure out if it was a Rhodes or a Wurli. I think you saw more Rhodes and Wurli work in England by the 70s, but John Paul Jones was still using the Hohner in the studio with Zeppelin, even if he used a Rhodes onstage.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

These multitracks are taking me back to (one of) my big Macca Wings/solo phase in early college. Feels so good.

Definitely interested in checking out some of the gear they used at the time, since it's less documented than the Beatles days, understandably. The Beatles often used a Hohner Electrapiano (I Am the Walrus, The Night Before, Come Together, etc) and learning that made me understand why I could never figure out if it was a Rhodes or a Wurli. I think you saw more Rhodes and Wurli work in England by the 70s, but John Paul Jones was still using the Hohner in the studio with Zeppelin, even if he used a Rhodes onstage.

Samuel, I think the Beatles used a standard Hohner Pianet, not the Electrapiano JPJ used for Zeppelin. Same sound, but the Electrapiano was a home model with built in speakers. JPJ got a cool slightly overdriven sound with his in the studio.

The Beatles, The Zombies, and probably Manfred Mann all used the Pianet C. I think the main difference between this and the Pianet N is the stand and the C may not require the proprietary volume pedal to get full signal level.

"Getting Better" by The Beatles is another song featuring the Pianet as a foundation instrument. There was an isolated Pianet track on YT for a while which has since disappeared.

Rod Argent continued to use the Pianet with Argent. It can be heard on "God Gave Rock and Roll to You".

The Lovin' Spoonful used Pianet on "Summer in the City". John Sebastian's father was the world's foremost classical harmonica player and the Sebastians were personal friends of the Hohner family so they got preferred treatment from Hohner.

The Guess Who used Pianet for several songs on their first album Wheatfield Soul which includes the hit "These Eyes".

The dual Keyboard guitarless British Prog band Rare Bird featured Pianet to great effect on nearly every song on their first two albums played by David "Viv Savage" Kaff(inetti).

The last big hit to heavily feature Pianet was "You're My Best Friend" by Queen in 1982. Wikipedia mistakenly credits John Deacon with Wurlitzer EP on this.

C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

The Beatles, The Zombies, and probably Manfred Mann all used the Pianet C. I think the main difference between this and the Pianet N is the stand and the C may not require the proprietary volume pedal to get full signal level.

"Getting Better" by The Beatles is another song featuring the Pianet as a foundation instrument. There was an isolated Pianet track on YT for a while which has since disappeared.

Rod Argent continued to use the Pianet with Argent. It can be heard on "God Gave Rock and Roll to You".

The Lovin' Spoonful used Pianet on "Summer in the City". John Sebastian's father was the world's foremost classical harmonica player and the Sebastians were personal friends of the Hohner family so they got preferred treatment from Hohner.

The Guess Who used Pianet for several songs on their first album Wheatfield Soul which includes the hit "These Eyes".

The dual Keyboard guitarless British Prog band Rare Bird featured Pianet to great effect on nearly every song on their first two albums played by David "Viv Savage" Kaff(inetti).

The last big hit to heavily feature Pianet was "You're My Best Friend" by Queen in 1982. Wikipedia mistakenly credits John Deacon with Wurlitzer EP on this.

I was with you until "Best Friend"" by Queen. I'm quite sure that's a Wurli......that low end bark does not sound like a Pianet to my ears.

Thanks for the clarification, I did misspeak regarding the model of Hohner.

I'm with zxcvbnm regarding You're My Best Friend, though, I'd put money on it being a Wurlitzer (Freddie Mercury mentioned the Wurlitzer specifically when he talked about hating them and refusing to play them instead of his grand piano).

I did a bunch of hunting around online and saw a lot of videos of Linda behind a Rhodes (plus a clavinet, Hammond, and Minimoog, among other toys as the band ramped up its tours), but those were all pictures of her stage gear, and doesn't necessarily tell you what was used in the studio on Band on the Run and others. The search continues...

Samuel B. Lupowitz

What synth is he using for the beginning is it Moog or ARP? Would love to get that sound right with my jam group.

I think it"s a Minimoog.

Yamaha MX49, Casio SK1/WK-7600, Korg Minilogue, Alesis SR-16, Casio CT-X3000, FL Studio, many VSTs, percussion, woodwinds, strings, and sound effects.

I read that the Band on the Run album was recorded at a studio in Lagos Nigeria. Did they have many electric piano choices with them at the time?
Good question. I know the studio in Lagos was owned by EMI, and also I'm sure since it's Paul McCartney they could get whatever they wanted, but I haven't found much info... most of the interviews about making that record focus on Paul being mugged for his demo tapes, and Ginger Baker showing up at the studio.

Samuel B. Lupowitz