Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Viscount Legend '70s

I"d get a CP88 for gigs and/or a Vintage Vibe Electric Piano.

Ehm, aren't those Vintage Vibe instrument insanely expensive v.s. those digital fascimilies you talk about? No offense meant, just wondering what the reason would be for this.

The VV has or had at one point a no frills base model. But in the same vein id prefer a restored Rhodes to any digital instrument that only does the one EP sound. Again, we don"t know that"s the case here, and that"s a personal preference about what one may or may not think digital hardware is worth, what its longevity is, and will there be a model next season that makes this one sound like a dated attempt at realism.

On the flip side if it has to cost over $2k, or like the Zarenbourg closer to $4 or $5k then there are some very capable instruments in that range - your Yamaha and Korg arrangers and flagship workstation type boards that are so ridiculously capable it"s a struggle to look at a model with limited capability.

Instrument choice is really personal. So just sharing, everyone decides what"s best for themselves regardless.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ElmerJFudd, thank you for explaining your thoughts about this.

Thank you for the conversation, kind sir.

The pros on a single sound digital facsimile type EP may of course outweigh the cons in a similar way people choose a digital piano over an acoustic. Price, weight and size, little maintenance required, sounds good enough. But digital pianos typically will give you additional sounds, metronome, split and layer capability, transpose function, etc. not possible on an acoustic.

Regardless, here we are waiting to see what Viscount has made so we"re interested!

They discontinued my Physis K4 so I stocked up on parts.

I can"t even imagine using anything else, nothing out there compares.

Their Master MIDI Controller made performing so much fun again.

The thought of lugging around 2 less featured controllers to get close to what they made would make multiple scenes and multiple parts per scene a drag.

I tried software hosts and they"re getting there but we"ll see what 2020 brings in additional feature sets.

I"ve been a Viscount lover for 20 years + because of the Oberheim MC3000 and MC3000D.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Quote from b3guys page, re. Legend 70´S:

" Look for 3 new models ready to play at this years NAMM SHOW, Booth #7902."

Will it be 88 keys, 73 keys and a module?

"This is my rig, and if you don´t like it....well, I have others!"

"Think positive...there's always something to complain about!"

I would only take my VV to very special gigs. A digital facsimile makes for a much better gigging workhorse.

The VV 64 is a pretty easy haul. It is lighter than a Wurly, and I can carry it in a padded bag with one hand ike a suitcase. You lose versatility compared to something like this threads titular keyboard but it is not like lugging a Mark I or anything.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

Looks VERY Interesting.

Dyno sounds excellent.....I"m hopeful earlier versions will sound equally good.

I"m also hopeful front panel will afford maximum sound sculpting to approximate other Rhodes years.

Considering the excellent quality of Legend Organs, I"m sure this will reach, if not exceed, that same bar.

Whether there are Wurli, Clav, etc, sounds would be a bonus, but not a deal breaker.

Of course, MAP, weight and dimensions will also tell the tale.

I"d get a CP88 for gigs and/or a Vintage Vibe Electric Piano.

Ehm, aren't those Vintage Vibe instrument insanely expensive v.s. those digital fascimilies you talk about? No offense meant, just wondering what the reason would be for this.

The VVs are NOT insanely expensive if you look at ownership as a LIFETIME investment, like a great Acoustic Piano rather than on the 'planned obsolescence' digital keyboard life cycle.

Plus the 'reason would be' sound to finger' connection unrivaled by anything but a Rhodes!

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

The VVs are NOT insanely expensive if you look at ownership as a LIFETIME investment, like a great Acoustic Piano rather than on the 'planned obsolescence' digital keyboard life cycle.

Plus the 'reason would be' sound to finger' connection unrivaled by anything but a Rhodes!

True, but as others have stated: I rather take a digital board with me on the road for a quarter of the price of a VV. I would however invest in one for a studio or at home if I had the funds.

Trumpet player by trade, but fell in love with keys too.

• 2 weeks later...

Wait...really?!?

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2823914447664743&id=464098113646400

Why Legend '70s is different?

The front is composed by single modules that can be assembled and dismantled, allowing you to create the piano of your dreams! Crave for more? Come to visit us at Namm the Show - Booth 7902!

A modular stage piano? This could be something REALLY new!

Wait...really?!?

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2823914447664743&id=464098113646400

Why Legend '70s is different?

The front is composed by single modules that can be assembled and dismantled, allowing you to create the piano of your dreams! Crave for more? Come to visit us at Namm the Show - Booth 7902!

A modular stage piano? This could be something REALLY new!

THIS is the most coveted new release for my purposes...... Viscount could have a real winner here!

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

I can see swapping this or that effect -

but are they also suggesting of you want a wurly or a steinway d you would add modules?

Great question, Elmer.... I presumed that it was both options you mention, although Viscount does not seem to be clear about it!

Robert Bosch, 1919

If you zoom in on the 88 version I think there is a piano module on left of the display. It has the same layout as the piano module in the photo. Looks like there is another module next to it with a different layout. So the 88 might have space for a 2-3 modules? I would have expected the piano module to include control for sympathetic resonance. Whatever the case this is very interesting.

interesting, so i am guessing each module is a DSP card for running an instrument modeling engine or effect processor with some proprietary connector for audio/midi io.

I am also guessing then, where you place the module locates it in the signal chain - so EQ before or after Phaser, etc.

Perhaps this also allowed them to keep price down using cheaper DSP chips to run a specific engine rather than an Atom or Arm like we see on the Kronos and Montage?

And then of course they would have users who want the EP engine only, or want the AP engine with FX or without, etc.

Wonder what it will cost loaded? :hider:

For me it will come down to that action again - how does it feel to play and how does it connect with the sounds it makes.

The photo definitely suggests the acoustic piano module is an add on. If we could see the back we"d know what sort of processor they are using to run the Physis Piano engine.

I haven"t heard too many examples of the Physis Piano where I liked the piano timbre it was getting. But they are further along than the acoustic piano model in the Crumar Seven IMHO. Pianoteq appears to have the most realistic acoustic piano code - maybe Roland VPiano being a close second.

On the other hand we"ve heard lots of examples where physical modeling is a doing a great job on electric pianos - GSi/Crumar Seven and Mojo 61, Lounge Lizard, etc.